Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum port?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

GMC302
    [​IMG]Is this a vacuum port? Where do I run the line and what size is that fitting?

2. 6inarow

6inarow

No, its to scavenge fumes from the underneath the rocker cover. Depending on the year it went to the PCV canister or intake port

dtwbcs likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

If that is the valve cover, a pcv valve would connect to that and then manifold vacuum. Never seen an AN fitting used for pcv before.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can see by the raised portion of the rocker cover under the fitting it was a stock fitting. I have 2 of them like this. The embossment of the script GMC logo shows it is an early cover prior to the PCV systems. I believe it to be military for a sealed engine and could have gone to the air cleaner system but i am not sure never seeing one in a GMC duece -1/2.
    I could easily be used as a PCV system for you today if you can find a PCV valve with threads to screw into a carb base.
    Most covers with the earlier GMC in an oval had 2 "slit" breathers and an oil fill cap at the front. The crankcase had its own breather on the right side.
    The last GMC's manufactured in the early to mid 60's would have had the PVC provisions but not the early cover.

5. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

So can I go into the side of the carburetor where that rubber plug is or do I need to go into the intake [​IMG]

6. larry k

larry k

That engine must be a military 302 cube inline 6 , that fitting was used to seal the engine to the intake so the truck could run under or in very high water !!!

7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yes; that's why I painted it that color in honor of it being ex military.

8. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok another option-just put a plug in the hole and not worry it about anymore?

9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

So what is the size of the vacuum hole in the Clifford intake ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were me I would put a line on it to the underside of the air cleaner. It will help with under hood smell and vapor.
    I'm glad to see the proper water line from the rear off the head to the thermostat housing. You can do them lower but a necessary line for proper cooling especially with higher compression.

dtwbcs and egads like this.
  11. greybeard360

greybeard360

You could use an in line pcv, then connect to the intake. Otherwise you will have a big vacuum leak. Running to the air filter base without a pcv would also work. Either way it vents the crankcase.

dtwbcs likes this.
  12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Anybody know? So I now understand that I should run it either to the air filter or intake instead of capping it off.

13. Why can't you measure what size it is ?

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'm not smart enough to know what was there before but generally speaking, never block off outside vents or "road draft" tubes or anything like that or there will be trouble. Find out how it was plumbed and do exactly that, may be some parts missing after all these years, removed by some dumb shit.

dtwbcs likes this.
  15. 6inarow

6inarow

Oh crap, I misspoke. I didnt mean PVC. Although that is an option. The second option is that it went to the road draft tube to scavenge fumes. sorry. I am a dope sometimes/

16. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ok does anyone have a part # for a pcv valve that will work with the GMC302?
    In that one picture it shows my carb with a rubber plug, on the drivers side.That port is for "pcv" so I will plan to connect there.

17. greybeard360

greybeard360

V112 Standard is a GM inline pcv valve. Works in a lot of situations like this.

dtwbcs likes this.
  18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Thanks Greybeard

19. That is one fine looking engine. Very nice.

dtwbcs likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd find one for a 62 Chev 235. The Calif cars would have one. They would have been screwed into the base of the carb or a space under it and be an AC. The hose side might hve connected to the old road draft tube spot or a connection on the rocker cover I don't remember.

21. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

nulines.JPG Updated picture with new lines

Beanscoot likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice...

dtwbcs likes this.