Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

2. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

3. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Looks like the McGee roadster with the trunk up addressing roadside repair on a LA Roadsters jaunt.

The trunk lid gave it away.

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It is, it was his car with Norm Hauser driving 49.
    3-17-f.JPG

8. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, Jim. It's nice to learn the outcome. Such a great photo!!!
    (I started to caption it "Wheeeeeee!" :D)

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't want no stinkeen seat belts.. I want to be thrown in the "clear"

10. Jack Muldowny's shop Union and Regent St Schenectady with Shirley's dragster.
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    loudbang, MMM RED and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Walter Chernokol took the pictures of the accident and they were published in Life Magazine! There in is the rest of the story Mo!

Charlie only drove one more year. He bought a bar across from a small University in Pa dutch country and lived happily ever fter.

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-17_15-27-34.png
    One of the more interesting shots of downtown Huntington Beach was captured circa mid-1960s outside of the Greek Surf Shop on PCH. (despite the 55 Chevy, the surfboards tell the story.) The shop housed "Surfboards by the Greek," a local surf brand by legendary Bob "The Greek" Bolen. It was located just steps down the highway from the famous Main Street/PCH corner.

Hello,

If anyone surfed at the Huntington Beach Pier during the early 60s, you could not help but see this shop directly across the street from the beach and pier. Very few knew about the Greek tag, except that it was from his grandparents. Bob Bolen, "The Greek", as he is known in the Surfing Industry, started surfing in 1958 and began shaping in 1959. In 1960, he opened a surf shop in Huntington Beach which he owned and operated until 1980.

The shop could not have a better location for the locals and tourists. His shop was one of the early innovators to start a “team.” Those guys surfed in most of the contests all along the So Cal coastline. Other manufacturers caught on and also started their own teams for the competition. It was good for “advertising wars,” in the local magazines and newspapers. Similar to the cam wars in drag racing in the late 50s-early 60s.

Jnaki

The photo made all of the newspapers and became a “talk around the beach” story. We were out of town surfers, but since we surfed the Pier almost every week and daily during the summers, we were considered locals. Our boards were made by one of the Greek’s main rivals in Huntington Beach, the legendary, Gordie Surfboards.

upload_2018-3-17_15-29-17.png

13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Jnaki, I have been reading your posts and your knowledge is outstanding. I decided to join the HAMB to broaden my horizens. As a teen I had a Harbour trestle special and a Dewey Weber Performer. The I came down with the car disease.
    Do you remember El Monte Legion Stadium? B&O Cycle in Long Beach? The Gar Mar Theatre at Whittier and Atlantic? Bert Grimms at the Pike? Thanks for the trips down memory lane.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Sky Six,
    Thank you for the kind words. I can see what you are saying about the car disease. We got it young, went as far as possible, and in my brother's recovery from the drag racing accident, returned to surfing for rehab. Rich Harbour was/is a cool guy with his shop located in downtown Seal Beach. We used to stop there because of Robert August and our friends in Seal Beach. We used to surf with his dad, Blackie. Robert went on to fame in the Endless Summer movie.

My brother had one of the first Dewey Weber Surfboards with a flat nose surface below the tip to supposedly, increase nose riding time. (My brother never mastered long nose rides) For many reasons, I stuck with So Cal locals, Ole, Gordie and Hobie, including the all time best surfboard, a 11 foot 6 inch #4 Phil Edwards Model from Hobie. That was a killer surfboard with limits only because of the rider's skill.

Jnaki
    As a pre-teen visiting the Pike, we were always enthralled with those tattoo guys, especially the Navy guys' inked arms. Bert Grimm was the place to go for those designs. Long Beach was close to Terminal Island and the huge Navy Complex, since the war days. Those guys always were present everywhere in the Pike area.

15. 'Mo

'Mo

Doug Hartelt's '34 (1951)

(From Kustomrama)
    [​IMG]

16. jroberts

jroberts

[​IMG]
    This migrant family is traveling from Florida to New Jersey during the Great Depression in a Studebaker. They worked harvesting sweet potatoes. Here they are on the roadside in northeastern North Carolina not too far south of the Virginia border .

17. j hansen

j hansen

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

19. j hansen

j hansen

20. loudbang

loudbang

From Bangkok Dean

1961 Winternationals

dean (1).jpg