Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New engine has oil in the exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devmar07, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    Possible, but I would agree if it was 1 or 2 pipes but all pipes. There was some discussion about grinding seats for valve springs hitting water, but that was only on the end spring pockets. and it would only go into the pan. I agree on the coolant problem in the oil. head gaskets, intake manifold, valve spring seats. He has old double bump heads. Maybe even cracks. But he still has copies amount of oil in the pipes. With all this information bomb barded on him I think he needs to start from the beginning, and check everything. He may need help from some machine shops and some know people that have built engines. Note I didn't say Mechanic ( 50 plus years in the trade). I wish him luck and will watch what happens.
    Regards
    Dave

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And would disappear vs thinning out to nothing as the cloud grew?

3. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi Where do you live?

4. canning

canning

Coolant=white smoke. Oil=blueish smoke. You're on the hunt now! Check for bubbles in cooling system while engine is running. If present, re-torque heads. If head bolts are torqued properly, then remove heads and examine head gaskets.

5. Devmar07

Devmar07

I'm in the Syracuse new york area

6. Bad head gasket exhaust.
    Mild breach

Bad breach
    Skip to 1:30

canning likes this.
  7. Devmar07

Devmar07

Somewhere in between but it did get better as it ran and was almost gone when I shut it off.

8. Devmar07

Devmar07

With oil on top of my exhaust valves it must be running down the valve which is where the oil is coming from, which means there may not be anything wrong with the rings. And also I've never seen bolts like the ones in the intake manifold no idea what tools to ask for to get it off.

9. Marken

Marken

Post a pic of the bolt heads.

I wouldn't worry about the rings yet, but they probably are not seated yet. Not run long enough.

10. Devmar07

Devmar07

11. 12 point socket will get them off.

12. Devmar07

Devmar07

Oh yea now I see it that turned out to be a stupid question.

13. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

If the builder milled the heads and didn't adjust the intake, you could have a large oil and coolant leak between the head and manifold.

canning, Finn Jensen and olscrounger like this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to get the heads off and take a close look at the gasket seal on the intake as stated above. Just because it is a fresh build does not mean there are no issues. Recently a friend tore down a very expensive engine built by a well known builder. 632 big block, all the trick stuff. It had been dynoed at 1197HP and made a couple of passes in the mid 7 sec range. Upon teardown they found shifted intake gaskets and a couple of pistons had "kissed" the heads!! All good now.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years ago I built a 350, the heads (freshly rebuilt) ;), were bought from a guy that was a mechanic at a local Chevy dealership. Yeh, they were nice and clean with fresh paint, etc. Problem is EVERY valve guide was reamed oversize plus some of the guide seals were installed wrong, not all mechanics/machinists are what they appear to be, no matter what words come out of their mouths just before the money is handed over.
    The cost to rework them was half the cost of the just released Edelbrock aluminum heads.
    Easy decision.

kadillackid and olscrounger like this.
  16. Devmar07

Devmar07

I should have them off tomorrow so I will update with pictures

17. Devmar07

Devmar07

Most heads I looked at were 500 to 600 apiece for something worth buying so unless mine are cracked or warped I'll let the machine shop do there thing.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  18. Make sure the valve job includes a pressure test.
    If your heads need guides, springs, and valves or they want to add extra work like valve seats and screw in studs your bill will be almost the cost of new heads.

The shop should be able to tell you after they get the heads there in front of them and maybe before any work starts. Expect to pay an inspection fee though.

19. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

If you did not pull the heads and intake, you could do a leak check by putting a plate on the carb flange with an air fitting in it, then blocking all fittings on the intake and block all exhaust ports. You can block the exhaust by putting a blank gasket between the headers and the heads. Then put air pressure on the fitting on the carb flange. You can then tell if there is a leaking flange between the head and intake . You may see leakage into the valley or the radiator or both . Do it with the radiator cap off so you can see bubbles if there is a leak. If you already started to tear it down it's too late to do this test.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Rusty ports. That engine sat without running for some time. Did you see any rust in them when you put the headers on? The picture of the valve with the bright green fluid sure looks like antifreeze to me. Antifreeze on an exhaust valve could mean a cracked head. Pulling the heads is the first step.

Does the car have an automatic transmission?

As has been said, white smoke is antifreeze but it can also be automatic transmission fluid. I worked at a used car dealer in the 70s and a customer bought a Lincoln. The next week he comes in with the car billowing white smoke, madder than hell and threatening to sue for selling him a car with a cracked block. From the smell, I could tell that the smoke was transmission fluid. The vacuum modulator was leaking fluid that was getting sucked into the engine through the vacuum line and burning. I put it on the hoist, took the vacuum line off the modulator while the customer was standing there and the fluid streamed out. A $6 modulator and a couple quarts of type F and he was happy as could be.

Baumi likes this.
  21. Devmar07

Devmar07

It has a 700r4 and they were clean before I ran it and that' what they look like after

22. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

The porting job looks a little suspect to me , it the intake side was ported to large possibly getting into the water jackets ?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slack likes this.
  23. Devmar07

Devmar07

24. Devmar07

Devmar07

Finally had good weather. Nothing looked out of sorts other then the 15 dollar head gaskets and the red rtv used between intake and block.

25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Block those heads up level and put some thin liquid in the chambers and check for leaks on the valves. As long as they are off. Then tip them up and fill the intake ports and check them.

26. Devmar07

Devmar07

I' going to do that tomorrow then bring them to the machine shop Monday morning

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am not seeing cross hatch in the bored and number 6 has what looks like we're some rust spots that were there for a while.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Devmar07

Devmar07

Would 30 over pistons fit in an unbored cylinder or are you suggesting they were bored awhle ago and just had new pistons and rings installed

29. Devmar07

Devmar07

I just went to look and the camera isn' catching it but there is light crosshatching and number 6 does have a mark but there isnt any texture to it,almost like a stain.

30. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Is there a crack between water jacket and cylinder? (see oval) pitting in cylinder is concerning (see square) hamb.jpg

razoo lew likes this.