Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Deuce pick up rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Woodster, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

The wild fires in Santa Rosa, CA got within a couple hundred yards of my home/shop . My family and friends escaped but my cousin and three good friends lost their homes and cars. I was blessed to have escaped the disaster that burned 2800 homes, killed 30+/- and 300+/- still unaccounted for. Still have a couple evacuees in y home, waiting for 'normal' to return before working on something as insignificant as this truck.

markin59 likes this.
  2. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Life has returned to normal for the lucky families who still have their homes and a new normal sets in for those who lost everything or a loved one.

Once I had torn the truck down I noticed the front frame horns weren't square or level, probably associated with the previously repaired bent front axle. The frame horns were bent about an inch to the passenger side and the driver side was 3/4 of an inch down, evidence of a left front impact.

I spent about an hour and a half with tie down straps and a lot of heat to get the rails straight and even more heat and a floor jack to get the left rail bent back up where it belongs. Everything is now within 1/8 inch of where it belongs.

DSC01774A.jpg dsc01774b.jpg

captain scarlet, brEad and Jet96 like this.
  3. studebaker46

studebaker46

glad to hear things are back to semi-normal. Those of us who have not experienced can only wonder. best wishes and prayer to you and all your neighbors

4. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Thanks.... helping my cousin sift through the ashes of everything she owned gives me a new perspective on material possessions. It has brought our community together.

studebaker46 likes this.
  5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I'm a blues fan, was listening to some Buddy Guy when a couple guys stopped by in their hot rods...
    blasted their horns and screamed "get out here"... there was a forest fire deep in the woods behind the garage...
    we chained my project '34 to my hot rod '33 and then to my plow truck so if needed I could pull both from the garage just in case... wind direction bailed me out...
    my regards to all who lost life's treasures out west...

6. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

There were hundreds of rods and classics lost. This was a sprint car in my cousin's neighbor's garage. 20171024_112542.jpg A change in the wind also saved my neighborhood. Glad you were safe.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  7. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Finally got to get back to work on my truck.... mounted the clutch and brake master cylinders and booster. Press brake is the best tool I've purchased in a long time. I've only made eight bends with it and it's paid for itself already.

Getting close to having the chassis work done and once the exhaust and brake lines are done I'm going to blow it apart and get the frame blasted and powder coated.

DSC01922.JPG DSC01923.JPG DSC01925.JPG DSC01926.JPG

cactus1 likes this.
  8. Nice work. Can you show a better pic of the press brake when you have a moment please?

9. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

fortynut likes this.
  10. Cool! Thanks for the link! Looks handy.

11. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Had a few productive evenings. I spun the brake block around on the diff to eliminate interference, ran brake lines, fuel line, fuel pump, fuel tank and drive shaft. I'd like to get the chassis and exhaust done before taking it to get the front end aligned. Once that's done I'm going to blow it apart to powder coat the frame, axle and radius rods, front and rear before final assembly.

The wiring harness is next.....

DSC01929a.jpg DSC01931a.jpg DSC01933.JPG DSC01934.JPG

Attached Files:

brEad, kustomdeluxe and barrnone50 like this.
  12. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

COOL always like them trucks had them N sold them so it was time to get one more pickup up one from the hamb 3weeks ago looking for some parts before I start its 34 p/up good LUCK with it :cool: :cool:

Woodster likes this.
  13. redo32

redo32

My experience with those fuel pumps, I would put it where it's easier to access.

FlatJan and Woodster like this.
  14. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! Good to know, thanks. It's one I carried as an emergency replacement in my roadster. Under the pick up that's pretty easy to get to but if I have a problem I won't put another in.

15. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Exhaust is run..... a boxfull of U bends wasn't quite enough so I used a couple of the pieces of the original exhaust (didn't look like it was run at all) and a couple NOS shorty mufflers off my old Jag (again, hardly run at all). Gotta make a couple hangers and it's done except for the tail pipes. I'll do those when the bed is back on.

I'll drop the body back on and do the steering and begin running the wiring harness. DSC01938a.jpg DSC01939a.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  16. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Going to get the front aligned next Friday so I have to get the chassis work done. Finished the brake lines, plumbed the clutch, installed a panhard rod and gusseted the steering mount. I've had a Hurst T-handle for 25 years waiting to put the right car under it and I modified the T-5 shifter handle to accept the handle. I'll have to cut and weld the post out of the trans to make it more vertical once seating position is finalized.

Taking the chassis to the alignment shop on a car dolly so I put the license plate on it..... first time on the road legally since 1970-ish

DSC01953a.jpg DSC01954a.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  17. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Big step forward to take several back. Pulled my truck out of the shop to get the front end aligned. The same guy who got the kink out of the front axle did the alignment. Couldn't believe how much he had to bend the axle to end up with the correct camber. It was quite springy so he had to exaggerate the bend to end up where he wanted.

Now to blow everything apart for paint and powder.....

DSC01960a.jpg DSC01962.JPG DSC01964a.jpg DSC01965a.jpg

brEad likes this.
  18. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

It took me a year to put it together but only three hours to strip it down. A little welding and it'll be off to the powder coater. Lots of pieces to paint in the meantime, looking forward to getting it back and putting it together for the last time!

DSC01976a.jpg DSC01977a.jpg

brEad, Runnin shine and treb11 like this.
  19. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Finishing up the frame for powder coating by notching the frame for the front spring (lowered crossmember), the steering mount and a few other places more easily done with the frame on it's side. I also repaired a couple exhaust holes which had been torched out in the rear crossmember. A little more work straightening some bent metal and it'll be ready.
    Also found a seventh color, metallic green!

DSC01980a.jpg DSC01981a.jpg DSC01983.JPG DSC01984a.jpg DSC01985a.jpg DSC01982a.jpg

brEad, Runnin shine and waxhead like this.
  20. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Off to the powder coater...... back in two to three weeks.

DSC01987a.jpg

brEad likes this.
  21. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Going together for the last time. Can't wait to get the frame back and get it up on its wheels.

DSC01988a.jpg

barrnone50, cactus1 and 54reno like this.
  22. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Back from powder coating a week and a half early!! Anxious to start putting parts back on. Pushing for road worthy by June.....

DSC02021a.jpg DSC02020a.jpg

Runnin shine, Boryca, brEad and 2 others like this.
  23. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Took a short vacation with my bride, rode the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. While there I had a detached retina and had to fly home to get it operated on. Got home at 11:30 PM, met with the surgeon at midnight and went into surgery at 6 AM. All came out well but now I have to recuperate sitting on my ass for a few weeks. Why all this drama in my life? I just wanna build my hot rod!!

24. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Got back into my shop and spent a few hours putting my truck back together. The brakes should be in and bled this week. Once I lined up the rear with the frame I cross measured the axles and have only 1/8 inch difference so I'm happy that I've got a nice square foundation.

DSC02048a.jpg

25. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Brakes are bled and working, steering rack is mounted...... engine is next. Won't be long before I have a running chassis.

waxhead and spurgeonforge like this.
  26. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Woodster, I want your trailer to fix up and tow behind my avatar ‘55! I don’t need one, I just think it would be cool. Did you make that or find it already made somewhere.

27. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Indeed, it would be cool! I was at a friend's house about 30 years ago and it was sitting in his field full of garbage. When I mentioned I could use a trailer he said I could have it but I had to take the garbage too!
    Gary O

28. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Recuperation from eye surgery has been slow and new meds are sucking the energy from me but I've been working a little bit at a time. The chassis is almost done, just need to clean and paint the exhaust and snug up a few fasteners before starting the wiring.
    I was driving myself crazy trying to select wheels but just decided to run steel wheels until something popped out at me.

DSC02053a.jpg
    DSC02054a.jpg DSC02055a.jpg DSC02056a.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad and akoutlaw like this.
  29. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Did you ever show a picture of your press brake?
    Like to see also. Thanks

30. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal