Register now to get rid of these ads!

VIN 1949 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jgior4365, May 31, 2009.

1. jgior4365

jgior4365

I have 2 1949 Olds coupes and neither of the VIN's on the paperwork match the tag on the left pillar post.I had a 39 Olds with a tag riveted to the left side of the chassis but I don't see any on either of these cars.I don;t think I have 2 cars with phony paperwork,but I can't validate the #'S.Anyone out there that can shed some light on my dilemma?

2. I could vey well be wrong with yours, I have a 1945 Dodge truck that was registered with the engine number. Trouble is, the original engine was replaced somewhere along the line, my paperwork does not match either. My title is definately an engine number. Working on correcting that, shouldn't be too hard as I'm the second owner.
    Another thought is the VIN might be stamped into the frame somewhere, good luck. Try finding a VIN decoder for what you have.

3. RDR

RDR

very possible that those cars were registered with the engine # ..? My buddies 48 chev had a washington title with a vin number like 5537RX (probably a rebuilt eng #) Anyway when he moved to Oregon he had to have the Vin checked out and the title had no number that matched as it had a later v8 in it. He took the id tag off the door post (which was aluminum and attached with screws) made another alum plate and stamped the 5537RX into the plate reattached it, painted body color over it and VOILA..DMV saw what they wanted to see..duh, numbers that match, duh O.K. here's your new title, that'll be $ 85.00 thank you..Hey it worked for him!! Don't know for sure if that's your problem, but hope you get it sorted out, as Motor Vehicle Dept has got to be the last place anyone wants to go on this earth!

4. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

u have a olds that was reg by the engine no,if its a v-8 model engine no starts with a 8A at least my 49 did and the book says all v8s started with a 8A,i reg with the state with that no then called insur agent and explained it to him he put both nos on insur card havent had a bit of trouble yet.over 6 years

5. oldcarseurope

oldcarseurope
    from Holland

Hi did you ever find a vin number on the fram somewhere ?

6. ............This thread is almost 9 years old and the OP hasn't been on here for almost 4 years. I wouldn't expect a response anytime soon.:rolleyes:

lothianwilly71 likes this.