Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Flux Core MIG on old model A sheet metal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Paul F, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Paul F

Paul F

Just had a question; Is it possible to weld on an Old Model A's sheet metal (Chop Top) with flux core Mig welding at the coolest settings, without creating too much heat and blowing the metal out? Or is it best too cool things down with using Argon gas. I know that Gas is cleaner, but will it also allow me to not feel like I am welding a paper towel?

2. Depends on the diameter of your wire. The problem you got with flux core aside from added penetration is chipping slag, it makes for a dirty weld.

Paul F, stillrunners and j-jock like this.
  3. never liked flux core on sheetmetal

the gas makes a much cleaner weld and looks better, usually grinds quicker

Texas57, Paul F and j-jock like this.
  4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

∆∆∆ X2 ∆∆

pitman, j-jock and anthony myrick like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The answer is easy, NO !

Solid wire (.023) and 75%argon 25%co2 mix, or TIG , even oxy acetylene.

6. Yep tig is king way more control on your heat and filler.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    MMM1693 and Paul F like this.
  7. DocJohn

DocJohn

Since you've got a mig set use that with whatever shielding gas you can get for thin ferrous sheet. In the UK the composition is around 93%Ar, 5% CO2, 2%O2. Back it up with a piece of copper, a flattened copper water pipe works OK, and you can weld up pinholes in old Fords.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

No Flux ! .023 , slow and easy skip around . Tig or Gas , is the answer , but still takes practice . Old sheet metal is a bit different than newer tempered stuff to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Paul F likes this.
  9. Flux core will just make a mess....

Paul F and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  10. I have several different welders in house and most say I'm pretty good with them all. For me the number One choice is always Tig. When that's not an option (say I go to help a friend) I go to my Victor torch. Mig welds on light gauge sheet metal by the Do It Yourself home welders generally adds up to a lot of Bird Shit on both sides and buried under Body Man in a Can then sold off to get rid of there mess. If all you have is Flux Core and a machine that can't be hooked to a bottle practice on some scrap of same gauge and see how it turns out. If your not happy with it don't do it. If you like it go for it, after all it's just a Model A and they are every where.
    The Wizzard

Paul F likes this.
  11. Your question gives the impression that you are not too familiar with welding in general. Maybe it would be good to learn more or find some local help; before starting to cut on that nice coupe. Not trying to be negative; just saying.

Just Gary, Unkl Ian and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  12. I agree with Rich B. If you have doubt about things take the time to learn how before you end up disappointing yourself. That applies to many aspects of the Hobby. It's real easy to go backwards and not even know it.
    The Wizzard

Paul F and Just Gary like this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I have chopped a half dozen model A's and used a flux-core mig on everyone.. Granted you'll do a little more grinding and clean up but it can be done.. If your building a high dollar show car I would let an expert chop and weld it up, but if it's a fun car and one you can say "I did it myself" then go ahead and use the flux -core, just have fun doing it...

lucky ink and Paul F like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I did it on my 27 Coupe original steel. I used a 90 amp turned all of the way down. Be very careful and take your time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Paul F and scrap metal 48 like this.
  15. Can you ?
    Should you?
    What results are you going to get?

Yes you can, probably should not, sub par quality results at best.
    If you don't know the difference between sub par, par, and above par quality then it won't make any difference to you anyway. How far below par, well there's no bottom to that hole is there?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Oh and MIG stands for Metal inert gas.
    There will be No MIG welding happening without the Inert GAS

shadetreerodder likes this.
  17. Blanket statements like that are always incorrect.

Technically speaking there is just one type of mig welding, it is or it isn't metal inert gas.
    Perhaps the semantics of the term "form" as used may suggest different coverage gas or wire diameter but I doubt it. Mig welding was specifically designed for light guage guage materials, rapid deposit of weld and to minimize distortion.

Shaping (which shrinking or stretching) a mig welded panel can lead to some problems.
    Forming (linear bending) a mig weld panel will not. If you do need to shape a mig welded panel, out of pure necessity and lack of any other skills or equipment it can be done. The process is redundant but depositing the weld, grinding it down nearly complete then creating a new heat affected zone with an oxy acetylene torch such as would be there if it were gas welded then you can shape as needed

18. So, Paul F;;;;;;; just exactly what are your welding qualifications?
    The Wizzard

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you think using flux welding is tough on sheet metal, try using a stick welder! I have done it, smallest rod I could get, set on the lowest setting. As soon as it would arc you backed off. Still ended up blowing holes. You use what you have at the time!

jbrittonjr and scrap metal 48 like this.
  20. Like stated above, just because you can don't mean you should. My question to BamaMav is this: If you had to do it over again knowing what you know now and could make a different choice what would you do today?
    The Wizzard

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I do nearly all my sheet metal welding with a MIG with .035 wire (and 75/25 AG/CO2 gas). It is much easier then it was when I welded everything with the old stick welder. I suspect using .023 wire would be a breeze, someday I should try it!

Welding with flux core wire is a lot like welding sheet metal with an arc welder, its difficult to get the welder set up to be hot enough to melt the wire (or the rod) without burning through the sheet metal. Gene

wheeldog57 likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

flux core is for welding outside in a breeze. no tanks/ more portable.
    on my Lincoln I can use flux core for thicker stuff but I never had the need to.

Texas57 likes this.
  23. Many flux core machines can have gas added.
    Worth the investment.

24. Test your flux core sheet metal welding skill on something else first.
    Instead of risking something nice.

25. ClOckwOrk444

ClOckwOrk444

I would look into learning oxy-acetylene welding. I have tried doing some different scraps of thin guage sheetmetal with my fluxcore 110v lincoln welder, turned all the way down it still burns holes and sucks. Its only good for little quick jobs, thicker stuff. I once had a sportster tank on a chopper i built and the tunnel was removed and it was flat-bottomed and welded. I always thought it was tig welded because the welds were so perfect on it. My buddy that sold me the tank one day said i should strip the paint and redo it, so i can show off the beautiful gas welds on it. I was confused a little but i did eventually let my curiosity get the best of me. I stripped the tank and found under a thin layer of bondo, the weld that had been slightly recessed down the center of the tank where it had been narrowed. I could only dream of being able to make a pretty and functional weld like that. mine look like mouse the mouse turds in the corner of your garage floor haha

26. I had to flux core weld 2 Qtr panels in at a friend of mines shop.
    Never again unless it’s due to necessity like after a zomby apocalypse

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  27. ClOckwOrk444

ClOckwOrk444

28. I can not answer all of your questions, maybe you did miss parts of my statement but the sentences before your cut (...)were there . Try again, but include the parts you missed or left off and your understanding will surely grow. I don't know for sure but Just in case you are old I made it bigger and easier for you to see. I'm more than reasonably certain that including those omitted parts would solidify your grasp.

If you do need to shape a mig welded panel, out of pure necessity and lack of any other skills or equipment it can be done. The process is redundant but depositing the weld, grinding it down nearly complete then creating a new heat affected zone with an oxy acetylene torch such as would be there if it were gas welded then you can shape as needed.

It very well may be easier for YOU TTR to just oxy acetylene weld it right off the rip if you have that skill set. Not everyone has that skill, however many many many more individuals do own a MIG welder and many of those folks are quite proficient at using them on a hobbyist level. I assure you that welded sheet metal is welded sheet metal. The greatest attribute of the MIG welding process is also the greatest down fall if there is truly a need to shape the welded joint. Simply Adding another heat inducing process that replicates the heat induction of gas welding let's MIG welding's greatest attribute remain and stand firm yet corrects the greatest downfall. Redundant, yes of course but the end result still is what it is. A MIG welded joint that is shape able. Thus eliminating the Non

Gas welding has its own attributes and they are very desirable, however none of them are close to those attributes of MIG welding, two different things. Much like 2 different magnets,,, alignment of their similarities will cause repulsion but alignment of their differences creates attraction

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have used flux core wire and it just a little more work getting rid of the slag. It was no worse than using a stick welder to weld sheet metal . Which I was forced to do once when my mig messed up when we were building a stock car and that was my only alternative. I managed to weld the roof on and the doors on with a stick welder.
    Torch welding would be preferred over flux welding , then mig ,but Tig is still the best.

30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

On a side note, who's car is that in your Avatar? The reason for asking is the picture was used in a Craigslist scam in Portland Oregon and I believe , South Carolina.