Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '65 International truck. School me please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I sold my 2003 Ford pickup when our daughter went off to school and didn't take her car. It was a bad decision. I want/need a truck as a daily. Having read about Ryan's dilemma I'm in a slightly different place. I actually want some thing from the '60s. Started looking around. Fords of this era are $7000 to $10000, Chevies are even higher. Both out of my price range. I have found a '65 International pickup, with a 266 3-speed. It has low mileage and a good body for its age (wish the same could be said about me!) I know nothing about Internationals. What should I know/look for?
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

Like any vehicle that old, look for rust. Coming from Michigan you know that. Brake parts are a problem at times on IH of that time period. If everything is together you should be fine. If they are missing, sometimes it is a chore to figure out what parts they used. Engines are workhorses, Not high performance. They usually go forever. Engine parts may not be in stock at a parts house, but usually are a day or two away.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

My dad had one when I was in high school and I beat the crap out of it.
    The only thing that ever broke was when a couple of ring gear bolts came loose in the rear end.
    The guy at the parts house saved my life when he told my dad that "it happens all the time".
    That granny gear low was great for smoking the tires at the stop light on main street but don't expect to go much over 50 MPH.

czuch likes this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Remember that may be what they're asking but what are they getting?
    I'll be honest about Internationals. Years ago when I was on the hunt and would spot a old truck from a far.....as I approached, Nope...It's an International.
    This is how I see it....
    Chevy
    Ford
    .Dodge
    .international

millersgarage likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If the cornbinder is $1000 or less than it should be fine.

Yet there are many folks these days who don't look down upon them like us older guys do....so it's possible the value is coming up?

I know when driving across the country, you used to see chevy and ford trucks sitting on the side of the highway sort of for sale...they're all gone, only the Internationals are left now. Pickings are getting slimmer

6. charlesf

charlesf

Stewart,

Check out some IH websites. There are a few IH farm trucks still running around here, so someone must know how to keep them alive. I too have seen a couple of pickups peeking out from behind barns, but never enquired.

Chuck

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You'll break your anvil before you break a 266 'binder .... worst part in my memory - the wiring is all the same color with white numbers which rub off when touched.
    They sound great with a pair of 26'' Walker Continentals.

8. Like has been stated...most are super low-geared. Hope you're not planning much interstate travel.

9. squirrel

squirrel

But they also use Spicer rear ends, so you can find gears for them in a better ratio, usually.

283john likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Consider the body/chassis as a ‘blank canvas’, meaning pickups are generally among the easiest types to swap driveline components. If you are okay with the looks of the truck, swap in any power train that suits you.

As for looks, my personal taste in IH models ranges from ‘49 to ‘56, but be comfortable with your own preferences, Group think has both it’s downside as well as occasional upside.

For all the reverence stated above about GM and Ford, they usually get powertrain swaps too. The key factor is...to buy the IH at a price that reflects it’s relative low popularity.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    '51 Norm likes this.
  11. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

My brother & a cousin both had IH Travelalls, served them well & racked up many miles with few problems.

tractorguy likes this.
  12. 73RR

73RR

...lots-o-room under the hood of a 'binder.....back in the 60's I helped with a 413 swap. No traction, lots of tire smoke.

13. ST62

ST62

While I think the IH's are cool, we had one when I was in my teens, Fords and Chevys can be found here pretty reasonably. Maybe a little rough, but good and solid for the most part. I wish I would have kept several including the IH and at least one Dodge. $2000-$2500 will buy a good driver here in west Nebraska, east Wyoming and Colorado. The ones that have been "restored" to different levels are indeed pricey. For the most part I like them for what they were intended for.

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Having restored a OT (1975) International pick up, I found the most expensive part to replace was the center link, which had to be fab out of CA for around 400 bucks. The one I have has 40,000 on her and that is due to the poor gas mileage. But I have to admit since replacing the IH bed with a Chevy short box and a 1998 Corvette yellow paint job it does turn heads, I am not sure if it is the color of the paint or in fact it is a IH. In summary stay away form them unless the one you are looking at is from the Southwest section of the US.

15. Ive had lots of experience with binders. they are trucks. and ride and drive like trucks. They wear you out driving them. dad had a 64 Pk with a slant 4 cyl. Ive owned lots of bob trucks. Owned a couple of scouts. At present ive got a 70 1600 loadstar dump truck. I got it because it only cost $240. also there is a 69 PK in my hoard and it was the worst vehicle I ever owned. Ok that 266 and three speed will be hard to find parts for. Heck any binder is hard to find parts for. And no matter what you do to that truck I will not increase in value. Its like remolding or adding on to a house trailer. When you get done its still a house trailer and not worth a penny more than when you started. When I get a binder I never spend money on them. I buy them cheep and drive them into the ground and junk them. Do yourself a favor get a ford or a chevy even a dodge is better than a corn binder. Even the more popular 304 and 345 engines there isn't any performance or hop up goodies available. save your money Keep looking.

H380 likes this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The truth is, IH pickups are far more stout work trucks than either Ford of Chevy. Having owned and driven all 3 of various vintages, I like them all, but there's no doubt that when it comes to performing actual work, hauling loads, etc, Ford and Chevy are like Tonka Toys compared to IH. Reliability and longevity are definitely in the IH's favor, IMO & IME. Expect a stiff ride, low gears, excellent traction off-road, great pulling power with low rpm torque, and poor gas mileage. Do not expect to win any drag races. And if it has a 10 gallon gas tank, don't expect to get more than about 100 miles in it. Carry a 5 gal Jerry can if you're going somewhere. They are heavy trucks built with stout commercial grade frames & suspension, and double walled beds. IH's use common parts that are easily available most anywhere. I like to tell the story about having to replace the points & condenser in the Holley distributor (stock distributor) on the 345 in my IH 1210 while I was camping out on El Mirage dry lake. I hitched a ride into Adelanto on a Sunday and the local auto parts store had what I needed. Transmissions, differentials, brakes, wheel bearings, all all common parts, nothing is exotic or too difficult to find, and there is a large support network of IH enthusiasts to help you find what you need and keep it running. The engines are designed and built along the same philosophies as those powering IH ag equipment, extremely durable and with high torque rise; as rpms drop due to heavy load the torque increases and they just chug along, with far less need to downshift to gain rpms than with Chevy or Ford. It's a different driving style than you may be used to, but once you get used to it, it's great. Be warned, once the Cornbinder influence gets in your blood, you may be hooked for life.

17. Yea those binders used common parts. My 70 loadstar has a autolite dist and used the same points as a FE ford. but has a delco alternator and a delco starter. Some with automatics used the Chrysler transmissions. and the type of external componets varied from year to year. And those V8 345 engines are the heaviest engines around for their displacement. There is a Guy on U Tube Jonathan Winans. He has a 57 binder as his daily driver. The cab and front clip are international the rest is GM and ford parts. lately im beginning to like the late 40,s early 50,s pilot house dodges.

18. Terraizer

Terraizer

Is it a 1000 or 1100 or 1200? The 266/3 speed is a fun combo, same as in my 1965 d1000 shortbed. They are harder to find parts for and more costly then a Chevy or Ford of the same era, but if in good shape and maintained will last a long time. Brake and suspension parts are very hard to find and very pricey expectly on the torsion bar suspension 1000 series. Solid axle 1100 is cheapest for replacement brake and suspension parts. If you need parts plan on rebuilding what you got don't plan on to many off the shelf parts from the parts store. The 266 is the hardest sv series engine to find major engine parts for, was only built 1959-68. The 304,345,392 are easier to find parts for 1959-85. I have owned 9 1961-68 series trucks and travelalls. Check the cowel area, inside and out for rust, that's the most common area and least fun to repair, currently repairing that on a 1968. Love the Internationals have owned over 150 over the years 1934-80 and sure will own more.

19. Is that 304 International engine an AMC engine? I used to have a '72 AMC Hornet that had a 304 in it.

20. squirrel

squirrel

nope, and the 392 is not a Chrysler hemi, either

But they did put some AMC sixes in their pickups in the 70s

21. TinShed

TinShed

Like said above they are good trucks. I have had many over the years. I like to be different and the only thing I ever struggle with is parts for the torsion bar front suspension. Darn expensive to rebuild but also rides awesome when set up!!! Do it and enjoy the ride!!!

22. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, good stout trucks. I hauled cattle for a guy that had a brand new 73 IH pickup with a 345 in it. Really good truck, but my Freightliner got better fuel mileage than the 345 in his truck. Think he only got about 6 or 8 mpg with it. And they never could figure out why, many tuneups, different mechanics. Just really hard on fuel.

23. I retract my previous post of aftermarket goodies available. I'm gonna have to look closer at a local kids truck to see what equipment it had.

This odd truck is coming up for auction this August. I kinda dig it. It has a really short box. I believe they were made only a couple years.

Apologies outward for mistakes I made in my post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    rjones35 likes this.
  24. Terraizer

Terraizer

That is a 900, chassis is different then scout, it does have the scout 152 4 cylinder though. No edelbrock intake for a IHC engine only aftermarket intake for a sv international is a RPT part made by IHOnly. Only headers are hookers and stans.

25. The heads on the V8's are a matched set and must be replaced as a matched set. They are all CCed to the same combustion chamber volume. I ran single axle dump trucks with a pusher axle. about 12 yards capacity. hauled hot mix asphalt. started out with a 60 chevy with a 348. the 348 wasn't any good so It got replaced with a 409 truck engine and it also overheated on a hot day. then installed a 351 V6 GMC engine pulled good ran cool and used too much fuel. finnaly got a ford with a 330 and it was the best pulled good and didn't guzzle gas.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We still have one in service. As has been said many common parts, Holley, Delco.. Unfortunately it's to be retired later this year, the younger crew have a hard time with manual choke, manual trans, manual steering.. I'm about the only one taking out on calls anymore. I love that thing.

[​IMG]

TEDINSC, Blues4U, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly the binders were put together with fine thread nuts and bolt which makes removing parts and body panels a PITA.

28. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I remember seeing in ads years ago that International engines were designed to have a lifespan of 200,000 miles, twice that of the competition. One weird quirk is that when you use a timing light on an IH V8 you put the light on the number 8 cylinder.

29. I have had a couple and as has been mentioned they are a work truck's work truck. I had a '73 1/2 ton that I put and extra set of rear springs under and we used it to haul saw logs.

Both of mine were later '60s earlier '70s trucks and bot 304 V-8s. I hate to say this (beware trad police) but if I had a 304 in good shape I would throw it in a rid and never look back. They pull like a freight train.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would buy it if the price was right, just for shits and giggles. They are heavy duty and can be kept in service for 500,000 miles. Parts can be a little hard to get but you shouldn't need very many. Don't expect much speed, but on the other hand gas mileage is lousy. Maintain it and it should outlive you, but if major parts like engine or trans or rear axle need replacing I would swap in something new before I paid International parts prices.

For a local hack it should be great but don't expect super hiway performance. At least, not with the stock powertrain. Enough power to haul any load but not much speed.

rjones35 likes this.