Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects poor man's three window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bgaro, Mar 2, 2018.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Wait.... I need to hear more about this flathead six!!!!

QUOTE="Six Ball, post: 12481894, member: 40668"]I am really liking this build but have to agree with some of the posts above concerning racing rules. My friend and I shelved a Bonneville project when we found that our engine wouldn't fit in any vintage class where rules are more friendly. The regular class for it had a record near 300 mph where tires alone would have been several thousand dollars. That with fire suppression systems, fire suit, etc left our 413" Dodge flathead six sitting in the corner of a shed. If you ever plan to run at Bonneville you need to get a rule book soon. They regulate everything from door latches to lug nuts. You'll have to have an approved flywheel and I'm pretty sure you can not run a cast bell housing. At least you'd have to have a steel scatter shield. The rules are always changing. It is far easier to build into the car now than in the campground at the "Bend in the Road". Think of building a car that will pass tech that could host different engines so you could play in more classes. The 283 will put you in a very competitive place where other peoples success will cost you a lot of money just to run. I hope to see this there. It will look right at home on the salt as all real hot rods do. :cool:[/QUOTE]

2. This kind of reminds me of the Gene Thurman coupe that ran at Bonneville in the 50s.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You beat me to it.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We should leave this thread to bgaro's coupe build here. My mention of the Big Dodge was just to show how a dream can be sidetracked by reality (rules). I'll check out the USFRA and the 110-130 Club. All I wanted with this engine was to have fun and try to better each year. Here is a link to some more 413 info. We can do our Big Dodge talk there.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/big-six-flathead.236680/

patmanta, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. CadMad

CadMad

Remember when people built hot rods and customs cos they didn’t care about the rules?

bct, Dawson85, Atwater Mike and 9 others like this.
  6. bgaro

bgaro

7. bgaro

bgaro

Yes, those kinda vibes! Shooting for a chrisman-esque nose in 'er.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You got a shrinker/stretcher? They come in handy making panels to follow a hood contour but there's more than one way to skin a car. :p

loudbang likes this.
  9. bgaro

bgaro

Im not that cool, but my friends are!

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

YES, Were it not for friends less would be built and much less would be appreciated. :D

11. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

I am totally digging this. Pure creativity, imagination and skill.

Will it run a flathead?

Keep us fully posted and up to date. I love the look of this project.

loudbang likes this.
  12. texkbc

texkbc

looks like fun...

loudbang likes this.

loudbang, texkbc and Stogy like this.
  14. mike bowling

mike bowling

them boys up in NH can get pretty creative!

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

How do you get in and out?...the trunk? lol;) man this thing looks awesome! a lot of salt modifieds had suicide doors... with a regular hinge you place your feet in first then pull yourself around the wheel with suicide you slide in and out behind the wheel if your latches are strong enough the door opening at speed is not a big concern but getting in and out many times during the course of a racing day is....also quick egress in the event of fire etc. is kinda nice (plus then you can make your door shapes match:p) wicked looking car dude! wish I'd thought of it first:D I dig the '40 hood but have you thought of how a narrowed '37 Willys hood might look?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Some photos of Jack Spencer's Competition Coupe that ran Bonneville & the drags in the 50s

hubbard-27-001.jpg hubbard-27-002.jpg hubbard-27-003.jpg

17. Wrench666

Wrench666

Have you thought of a transaxle like the late model vette is running. Would free up a ton of space in the pedal area Just a thought.
    Andrew

loudbang likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

What's a vette?

sorry, I can't help it sometimes

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

perhaps he was thinking a Pontiac Tempest transaxle to be more traditional.

46international, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late Model...Something this Hotrod will never, ever know. @Wrench666 you are new here and the fact the @bgaro has posted his build in the Traditional forum means that he will be using parts prior to 1965...within reason and the transaxle you are describing really won't fit anywhere on the Hamb regardless due to era of coverage for that matter. Welcome by the way...;)

loudbang likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

patmanta, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just saying that as it would be a period correct transaxle. I really don't know much about them other than they exist quite honestly.

23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The IRS was released on Corvette's in 1963 and it isn't a transaxle!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Bgaro is quite ready to contort however he has to to get in and drive this Hotrod using more typical mechanicals. But I think Wrench was thinking frankly something similar but much newer but you highlighted the fact the technology is much older. I had a Tempest (newer) and you got me thinking.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct but Wrench was suggesting Transaxle (Combo Transmission/IRS) to get more foot clearance in cowl area.

Wrench666 likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gather @bgaro is thinking 1955ish looking 48ish rather than later albeit he is being open somewhat.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi bgaro.
    Some of the guys are making thoughtful suggestions as to how you might find just a little more room in your diminutive chariot.
    Here's my idea.
    I've often thought that a bumped out firewall, ala '33 Ford etc., would really help to allow a driver's legs to be in a more extended, relaxed position. Of course, it would require that everything forward of the firewal also be repositioned forward. But with a full hood, and the rear edge of the hood in it's original positioned, the extended firewall would not be seen.
    I think it would look fine even with no hood if someone were to go that route. I've never heard anybody say that a '33 Ford with no hood doesn't look good.

Stogy likes this.
  28. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enough diversion. Now let’s get back on track and see what he actually has in mind.

mike bowling likes this.
  29. Wrench666

Wrench666

Ok Ok. Sorry for thinking out loud But my thoughts were a possible solution to the space problem that was brought up. Maybe not period correct but it was a suggestion and the late model vette was a reference to convey my thoughts. After all it is hotrodding and last I checked it’s about just that “hotrodding”. Maybe my reference doesn’t fit the traditional constraints but I did say one like a vette not use a late model vette.
    Andrew

mike bowling and Stogy like this.
  30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see anything wrong with a little "diversion"... respectfully offering ideas.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Wrench666 and Stogy like this.