Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's true that some products these days are built to less than exacting standards. But don't assume that's the problem, Pineapple. Take the time and make the effort to know what the problem is.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. henry29

henry29

I've used several of the repro tanks in 57's and never had a problem with the fit.
    I would assume it's the rubber hose on the filler neck, or it's not pushed in the tank all the way.

Johnny Gee and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I can't imagine it fits that poorly either, sloppy design or not.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The problem with the tank is that the lips on the side stick out way too far. And on the hose side i just can’t get it any farther over. I’ve laid under the car and pushed the tank to the drivers side as hard as i possibly can with my feet and it cant go over any farther. I realize it’s not how it’s supposed to be but to be quite honest i’m just too tired of working on it to care. If i get leaks or anything i’ll buy a fuel cell and stop messing with the under car tank. The tank is very secure how it is, i yanked on it from all sides and it won’t move

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hole-saw to the rescue! Too small of a hole afterwards, file away; too big of a hole, two part epoxy putty and hi-temp silicone sealer. The Performer intake I have does't have a provision for the tube, or even a place to bore one, otherwise you could have it. You could probably find a lot of older SBC intakes with the tube, but then you'd probably need an adapter for your Quadrajet, or a different carburetor altogether. The only other intake I don't really plan on using, is a SBC in a boat application one; it's made of aluminum and accepts the Carter WCFB or Rochester 4-Jet carburetors. Some say that intake was also used in ARMY tanks,. and others claim Corvette's (NO !!! to Corvette's).
    Why not just set the engine up like the factory did and get it running, then later on, set it up how you want it to look?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ve cut part of the hose off because it was too long, cut near an inch off of the hose. The tank is as close to the hard filler tube as it can be while still giving room for the rubber.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sorry but I have to place another vote in for "it has to move to the left". The filler neck and fuel line is the last thing to do so be sure they are completely out of the way when seating your tank. Another to observe also. The two ribs under the truck floor have to seat between the ribs on the tank. This register it's position left to right.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Why does your new tank not look correct? This what it should look like. Study it and get back.
    [​IMG]

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Johnny said what I didn't want to...because you've already made modifications to it.
    It's possible...though I hope not...that somehow, you ended up with the wrong tank.

10. henry29

henry29

You have a round corner tank instead of the square corner, otherwise they are exactly the same.

55-56 tanks don't have the vent tube on the tank, so it appears you have the correct one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]
    Here’s whats stopping me from pushing it any further to the driver side. I’m already hitting the metal fill pipe with the edge of the tank opening. And the shop manual i have is useless so suggesting i should use that isn’t going to help me really. There is a single page in there about fuel tank and 2 pictures, neither of which show anything besides what the tank looks like and where the sending unit is. If anyone has a photo of how the filler hose is when correctly installed i could maybe see if i’m doing something wrong because i’m at a loss here.

12. henry29

henry29

It looks like you have the filler neck rubber hose in the wrong spot, there should be on o-ring on the end of the filler tube that goes inside the tank.

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m a bit confused what you’re saying, i do have an o ring but i have no idea where it goes and there doesnt seem to be any instructions on how to install it anywhere

14. henry29

henry29

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  15. henry29

henry29

The o-ring goes on here,
    [​IMG]

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Eureka, i just realized what i did wrong, now i feel like an idiot but should be a simple fix tomorrow morning

David Gersic likes this.
  17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I guess i was under the impression that i needed a piece of hose here, no wonder it was so damn hard getting it to fit over the metal fuel filler, i tried for 3 days to get it on there and turns out i dont even need it.... wow i feel dumb

18. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

Johnny Gee, slv63 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

20. Hell no you are not dumb or you wouldn't have got this far. It is called LEARNING.

triman62 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. I'll show you dumb...
    I was putting a new tank in my '59 Ford working alone, it was a little tricky but I got it done before dark. The LAST thing was to remove the blue plastic plug that covers the fill opening. You guessed it, it goes right into the tank...

22. Truly dumb would be ignoring all the good advice here and saying it’s good enough, I don’t care anymore.....that car deserves better....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RaginPin3Appl3 and slv63 like this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Not meaning to be critical and please don't take it as such but you need to slow down and if you run into a problem don't just put some sort of fix on it to call it done. Not everything on these old cars needs to be re-engineered. Things like gas tanks, etc. are pretty straight forward as far as installing them if going back with repop parts. Some slight tweaking may be necessary but no need to reinvent the wheel. The O ring lesson being learned, hopefully you are catching on that everyone wants you to be successful and everyone wants everyone to be safe especially where critical systems such as fuel and brakes are concerned. Things like intakes with holes where you "WANT" them should be after the car is safe and roadworthy. Go watch some of the early 50s hotrod movies. They were all about this very topic. Carry on.... we are here to assist!

24. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Buy the goddamn assembly manual and the shop manual. How many fiffffing times do you have to be told.!!!!

flatford39 and Clay Belt like this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No, you've just learned is all. I put myself down a lot then I'll see or read about individuals far more smarter than myself and the degree to how they note things as they've taken things apart. It may sound like doing that is for only the forgetful but it's actually "reverse engineering".

slv63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Terrible80

Terrible80

Being your schedule has long periods of time between dis and re assembly, take some pictures of things as you take them apart.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Dude don't blow a gasket!!

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well the fuel tank was a 5 minute fix, i’m having a weird problem now though, i put gas in the float bowl and it’ll stay running if i step on the gas but as soon as i take my foot off, it stops running. I noticed im not getting fuel up at the fuel pump, i have a clear filter up there and there is no fuel in it. There’s probably about 2 gallons in the tank

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]looking a lot better under there now

30. That was my point, I wasn’t trying to shit on you, don’t settle for good enough when you can do it right!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.