Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical White wall cheater slicks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by meshach, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Looking for white wall tires originally wanted to do cheater slicks 10” wide and 28” tall and I’ve found towel city racing and wanted to know other options either radial or bias ply or what are the options for the same dimensions in a regular tread radial.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Coker has Firestones check sizing.
    Radir does a nice WW cheater also, check their website.
    KK

3. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Radirwheels.com

4. radirs are the hands down best. they are all new tires. towel city are recaps. you get what you pay for.

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Radirs...as someone else said, they're all new construction, not re-caps, they're bias belt and they're tubeless. All that, and in my opinion, they're the best looking. Mags and slicks 5-1-17 007.JPG

6. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

How well do the hook up on launch?

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Looks good. What size are you running?

8. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

In answer to an earlier post, I honestly haven't put 'em to the test to see how well they'd hook up if I really hammered it, but I know they'd hook up much better than the Firestone 8.20X15 wide white bias belt Firestones I had on it before (as in my avatar). These are 9:00X15's. I went with this size because I wanted the tallest slick I could get and these are 32" diameter. Ordered through Radir, you could have them grooved for cheater slicks, but I bought these through Speedway because they cost a little less and were free shipping. Only downside to getting 'em from Speedway is that they're only available as real drag slicks, no grooving available. They ride and handle fine...as well as the car did before with the other tires, although I'm sure they'd be dicey on wet roads.

9. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I prefer the the look of tall and narrow slicks. I like the proportions of the ones on your coupe.

10. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

anyone know if the Radir's are DOT approved?

11. I can’t find any info if they are dot approved or not

12. I’ll call them when I have a chance but not sure if the radir or Firestone radials on coker would be a better fit

13. Radirs hook with the proper steps. All pie crusts have stiff side walls. Adding inner tubes makes them even stiffer. Mounting them without tubes will help them wrinkle. Proper tire pressure is essential. Getting the tire flat for a full foot print cant be over emphasised. Burn out on a new set of tires until they are flat across the tire. Tire softener is the final step for wheelies. I worked with radir tire testing. 20130717_102449.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Avgas, Stogy, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

^^^^^Can't get any more specific advice!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

They're not DOT approved...lettering on the side says "Designed For Drag Racing Only Not For Highway Use". That disclaimer aside, they drive and ride fine. I've put about a thousand miles on mine since I put 'em on, and no complaints. Admittedly, I don't drive the car when it's raining or wet outside.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Look’ing at home my car sits and the shape of white wall cheater slicks I may not go with white walls after all, you wouldn’t be able to see them and they would be impossible to clean. . . Maybe a black wall cheater

17. badvolvo

badvolvo

< The Radir 7.75x15 Cheater Slicks on my Vette, do have the DOT stamp on them, and were sold to me as DOT approved. They don't hook too well, especially when I heat them up some, just clean em off and launch. But with limited tire space, I am still very pleased with them on the Vette. I am not really a white wall fan, but in this case, I think they make the car.