Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While a valid choice I would like to see @Moriarity take ownership of this pearlescent jewel. He also would be more than capable of bringing it back to its former splendor.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As much as I would like to... (I even have several jars of gold murano pearl) I believe it will be financially out of reach for me..... thanks though for the vote of confidence!!

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Would love to see side by side pics of the first and second version of the Golden Sahara. I think Jim was involved in both builds. Anyone know the story on why he went for the second version which included II being added to the name?

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Since we're liquidating Mark's collection I'll take the black T, maybe the Vette. :)

The Golden Sahara. I love the names of these customs almost as much as the cars themselves. Like to see a list of the famous ones.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You may be surprised Mark..... The GS is a pile of work to bring back.. many would not have the heart to do so........ You would.... and could...As for the The Grabowski Bucket..I am oddly attracted to it in it's current state..... Looks like a over the top Model from AMT in 74.... But it should be put back to the original state.... Normie Poo would have Yodelled over that......

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Is this the thread where we predict the sale prices? I'll start: $150,000 for the Golden Sahara and $125,000 for the Kookie T.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Go to the 2nd link in post 115 Mecum has a pretty good history of the car.

stumpjumper and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last night I heard the news about the GS ... and my first thought was: Mark Moriarity should take care of it. And now I come across this thread and it seems like a few others agree.
    Maybe The golden Sahara doesn´t even have to be brought back to it´s former glory, maybe it is ok the GS is showing it´s age. Maybe someone just could clean and detail it as well as possible, make it functional again and put it out on shows just like back in the days. This car is a piece of art, and speaking of art: the term " to restore" related to art means " preserving the work of an artist". Related to cars " to restore" often is translated into " making something better than it ever was", that is ok with me if we are talking about a model A or any other mass produced industrial product, but the Golden Sahara certainly is a piece of art that should be preserved as it is. Stepping off my soapbox now, I hope an appropriate person will get it ( and I hope that´s Moriarity, hahahaa)

Ned Ludd, Murphy32, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I really don't think the interest is that high for the GS. It's an icon in the custom car world, yes. But it has been out of sight for a long time and it is quirky to many people. To have a shop 'restore' it would take that much money and maybe more. It needs to be your next project! :D

Sancho, chryslerfan55, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Actualy the pictures of the T right after Larry Watson painted it are pretty cool. It is basicly Norms car with a repaint color change. The same thing Norm did when he changed it from black to blue. If some one returned it back to that I think it would be a great way of returning it to how Norm built but preserving Watsons work . Larry

Tim_with_a_T, Stogy, drdave and 3 others like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That has to be the most Hideous thing I've seen in my life!!!! Those kustoms were big palettes of how much shit can we hang on a car. If you call it a car.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  13. I think it will be interesting to see what it goes for. It doesn't need a lot of interest to go for big dollars it needs two people who want it and can afford it and given it is probably up there with the Hirohata and the Aztec as far as pedigree for customs it could easily find two people like that to bid on it. If it doesn't then I think it will go for way less than people imagine. I don't really see a middle ground on this one.

Torchie and drdave like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope your right Jeff...there is a niche group who covet and truly understand this type of automobile. Look at some of the responses here.

One thing for sure as eluded many and nearly all of the advanced ideas thrown into this work of art are now buttons on the dash or built into today's vehicles...once Jetsonish now reality. The thinking mind is an amazing thing. I guess there where perhaps two minds...Barris as well. Was the wife an engineering type as well?...that would be three. (I read the Mercum story and since gleaned she was a former Miss Florida/Model who really helped with the Marketing even being sprayed gold to jazz things up a bit.)

Kookie ll is interesting as Streets fun version of the more serious undertaking the GS...It my not be considered beautiful but it had a high level of expertise put into it as in it was done right by the best of the best.

Tell me that engines blowers weren't hollow with a 4 barrel inside. If its all genuine running blowers and such it would be as expected from Mr Street...more power than you can handle...fitting for a Hotrod. Did this Kookie ever run down the strip in the Street version?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

[​IMG]
    Is this an early or original version of it?

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

[​IMG]
    again is this the same car in an earlier version?

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes it is

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the story in link below this is Version I (1954 Debut) before the weathered redesign (1957 Debut) we see before us...

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/in-the-works/golden-sahara-recreation/

I would have to say the Car manufacturers may have been all eyes and ears on this one...;)
    Lots of ideas to glean from...

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think the T will bring more money. There, I said it.

The number of people interested in restoring the G.S. isn't what it once was. The older guys are gone or seeing it as too much work. The younger guys are small in number with the pockets and ability.

Television cars always bring something extra and that's the way it needs restored.

IMO

waylow64bird and Atwater Mike like this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I am not sure of how high it will go.
    The average age of those who remember the Sahara is climbing and many of those are not building(or rebuilding) as they once did.That cuts down potential bidders.
    The radical custom fan base has always been smaller the the mild/moderate custom crowd. Narrows the field.
    Are the financially set younger types going to go after this or not or will the celebrity set bid? I don't know.

Lou kriger likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wonder what shape all the 'other parts' from the Grabowski car are in. (upholstery, pipes, intake, wheels, etc.) And, just musing on IF it ever got restored to its original state...would it go to the rear of the line of 'Kookie Klones', based on perennial dates of completion?
    Tongue-in-cheek thoughts, but thoughts nevertheless, as I had the distinct pleasure of crawling under the original when it (and Norm) were on the road for exhibition around '77 Sunset Strip'. (the TV series, NOT the 'address'! It was a parking lot!)

Friend John Lyons and I visited Normandin's Chrysler in San Jose, parked my channeled 'A' coupe out front, and we sauntered in. Talked to Norm, he said "Yeah, crawl under..." so I did! The frame was welded in MUCHO places, Norm said they moved front horns to rear, then some rear lengths to front, more than once (!) I noticed lots of built up grease over dirt on the front of the rear axle housing...Norm said they put a different rear in, after he blew the one in it. Valley Custom did a hurry-up candy red paint on what was visible! (Hey...Movie car...I understood, but Hey! This was the Flagship of hot rods!) Norm said he wanted to go home (Sunland) he was pooped.

The gearshift knob it had then was a wood carving he did of Natasha Badenoff. (Rocky the Flying Squirrel's adversaries) the popular 5" skull was mounted then on the rear spring, looking aft.

Forward to the late '70s, Franco told a couple of guys at my shop he used to tool the Strip and Bob's Big Boy with Norm! (but he would have been 5) :p:D
    I showed him a pic of Norm and Kookie Kar with his niece in the infant seat, "Was that you, Frankie?" He laughed, but not loud.
    He got even with me a week later...He was doing T shirts out of my shop, everybody was buying T shirts of themselves in their cars. He painted one of my roadster, but all apart...(it was ALL apart) Much laughter! I even wore it to the old time drags (Baylands) Good times...

22. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Met Norm in Columbus in 90 at the Nats
    He told me that Valley Custom made sheet metal covers for the frame because it was so butchered.

His eyes lit up at the Mention of Neil Emory and Clay Jensen...hope that I spelled that right

Also told a cool story about how an actor drove the T into a post during filming as the director wanted him to “stand on it”

Hit the gas at it went left then right then wham into a 4by4. Stuck in the ground
    Everyone froze..looked to the car then to Norm.
    He was funny as hell
    Studio paid for the repairs

23. love that car

looks like something Tex Avery would have in a cartoon

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  24. arincee

arincee

So, any other thoughts on how much these will bring at auction? I was never a big fan of the Golden Sahara but I'd love to be the third owner of the Kookie Kar. Maybe if I cash in my IRA and sell my farm before the auction I might have a shot at it.

chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  25. ken bogren

ken bogren

Restore the GS, to which version?

The car is not really my style, but I'd sure like to be able to see it in person, restored or not. At the very least I hope it ends up with someone that can stabilize it so it doesn't deteriorate any further and make it visible to the public somehow, somewhere. A show tour would be cool.

A lot of customs leave me wondering ... why?

But I hope we always continue to celebrate the creativity that goes into them, whether we like the end product or not.

A lot of art in museums isn't my style either, but I'm glad it's there.

oldtymehiboy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark, you know these cars well, likely have some inside info on private sales and a bit of a "pulse"on actual enthusiasts. Still, that being said, I thing the Sahara will fall well below your estimate. I could be wrong, and almost hope so as such things spark interest in "our world", but the 1 really steadfast rule in sales that never seems to be wrong, customs don't sell really big. Outside of a few examples ( clean and restrained at that) most are wallflowers waiting for a dance. I predict it tips lightly over $100K due to it's complexity and the cost to revive it. There's but a few of us who "get it" and that's the basis of my prediction. Kookie? Same or more. It is just a T-Bucket, however it is THE T-Bucket of Buckets. The granddaddy of all. Add the TV personna, I'm with the above that it might top the GS.

Restoration; if ever a car were to get a seriously sympathetic restoration it's the GS. Start with cleaning, treat the upholstery so it's able to be removed and re-fitted so as to replace the padding alone. Of course the paint has to be done, but any and all plating that can be cleaned should be left alone. The biggest task would be to correct any bad wires (bet there's miles of it!) and make 100% fuction a priority. Can this be done? Sure, add enough will and discipline and you have a famous custom back on tour for less than a full body-off, and more authentic. Truth be told, that should happen BEFORE it goes on the block. Just sayin...

chryslerfan55, drdave, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anthony I had to look this guys art up...
    These were the times those involved in the Sahara's Creation
    lived and well the creation of the GS showed a fair bit of restraint on
    Tex's narrative on things...not all but some...
    Content a little risque for these times all tongue in cheek...

mgtstumpy, dwollam, scott27 and 5 others like this.
  28. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Does anyone know the back story on Mr. Street's using 2 different personal names?

stanlow69 and Stogy like this.
  29. 62hotcat

62hotcat

I agree with Highlander If any of you are interested get a get a bidders pass. You never know.