Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Very ugly, but kind of cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Question to the Older Hambers...Yeah these things weren't no style queens but do any of you recall ever seeing any of the Jalopy Racing?

MI2.JPG

MI2a.JPG

motoklas likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @huffreport thoughts? There was a number of these created using numerous chassis and motive power...I'd love to buzz down some country roads in one...I believe that one you posted probably was on the road and got some miles on it and had spares to boot tagging along.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

special.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner ​

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I guess a lot of car builders read 'Mechanics Illustrated'. I have only two things to say about these cars.
    1: They sure were ugly
    and
    2: They were sure ugly. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

Russian Street Rod

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I really like the home built utilitarian sport car look to em. I kinda wanna build one.

Stogy likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Thanks for this photo Stogy, I've never see it. I did cut this photo out of a Popular Mechanics back around 1960, who is the caretaker of this car now? Bob DSCF7485.JPG

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. desotot

desotot

[​IMG]

Put a deuce grill and some headlight stands on this babe and it would be a cookie cutter roadster,,,,that I would love to have.

motoklas and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps thats what happened to this unique Hotrod. Mind you it does have a deuce shell on it already just modded and quite nicely styled at that. I'd like to know its whereabouts regardless of cookie status. To have that done would be a shame. @Jimmy B mentioned it going westward from its I guess original place of origin. It left its mark in history and the dry lakes regardless.

Hopefully it still exists in it's original splendor representing its period past.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  13. desotot

desotot

I agree stogy, guess what I should have implied is that this car is not quite like all the other home builts in this thread

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This hotrod I do agree is a 9 where the others barely rate however those fellows were exposed to this stuff at the time and mixed it all up and did what they did. I do as polished as it is see shape connections. Of course there was Indy going on too. No different today really we see so much absorb it and it influences.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@desotot...Leighton drafted that up in a POW camp...I'd almost consider it a war memorial if I had it. That aside he may have stylistically envisioned old Fords, Indy and even Popular Mechanics as he drafted up his dream.

One thing for sure looking at other pics of that Hotrod who ever rolled and shaped them panels were quite gifted. I posted it seriously believing he may have been influenced by those Mechanix drafts. More specifically the shape at the front.

One other thing is those homebuilts varied in quality by builder...the OP pic it does look real tough totally agree but look at the Hemi powered one. These things shared alot in common with those Allard racers. Sorry for being long winded.

chryslerfan55 and Hollywood-East like this.
  16. 392

Different for sure. I feel they missed the mark on the front end.

17. 4port Willy

4port Willy

That board racing clip was something else ,iron balls they had .

Stogy likes this.
  18. fortynut

fortynut

The first one of these anomalies you posted, sits outside Old Union Car Company (if it has not been sold). It may well have been there when Gray Baskerville toured the place back when it was humming. Having it out front certainly didn't deter George Poteet from having more than a few of his hot rods built, or rebuilt, there by Jerry Kyle, or his crackerjack craftsmen. I haven't been by in some time; and, Jerry is in bad health, and selling off his junk cars and parts. If, for some reason, you can't live without it, I am willing to find out if he still has it, and put you in touch with him. Stranger things have happened on here.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Too bad that kid wasn't holding a hammer, would've made more sense.;)

20. Notice how anything looks better with a deuce grill shell!:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tend to believe there are many grilles that Jalopies and Hotrods can wear improving the look...and yes there happens to be 2 here that were chosen as candidates for The Deuce Grill and yes it did improve the overall impact. Leighton's is done and he did see fit to change things up in a very unusual way and pulled it off...(just my opinion of course). The one below is like a large number of these homebuilts unfinished but with potential to be much better than it is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and ct1932ford like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will say sometimes a real car part can be used in a scratch build and it gives it a stylistic edge thats for sure. Another sexy view...:D...and a link to the site with a most interesting name showcasing it.

one other note is that this Homebuilt does actually look to be possibly on a 1932 ford chassis much like the illustration...

[​IMG]

http://planetmotherfuckers.blogspot.ca/2011/01/how-to-build-hotrod-of-1932-ford.html?m=1

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-30#post-11694640

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now this one looks good!!! There rest, not so much. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll get over that sentiment somewhat, trust me...

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  25. The first half of the thread title says it perfectly.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In Japan, these builds might be known as "Shit-eh-oh - Box-et-oh" Gary

27. scotts52

scotts52

Reminds me of a car a HAMBer found awhile back that had a thread trying to identify it. I can't find the thread. I want to say it was chaddillac or squablow.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one Scott? Influences come from things around at the time...positive or negative pens go to paper and creation ensues. OP's pic in thread link below was red x'd.

29. scotts52

scotts52

Stogy, No, that's not it. I wish I could find the thread. It was some weird creation. He had quite a few people talking about it. It was like a faded red or orange. It wasn't a complete car either. People responded with all sorts of ideas as to what it was made from. My memory isn't what it used to be. The last time I remember anything about it was like 5+ years ago.

Stogy likes this.