Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Identifying vintage rims?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racmit, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Racmit

Racmit

Hello, I'm making a Model A hot rod and I found some old rims around back of my grandfather's house while looking for parts that fell off. He says that he used then in the 60s or 70s, and got them from a department store. I've been looking for a couple days and can't find any info, so I'm just gonna post it here. Here's a photo: IMG_20180310_122827_086.jpg
    I might be able to get more photos in the near future, hopefully, but this is all I have for now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Squablow

Squablow

I believe those are M/T Rader wheels, sold under the Mickey Thompson name at stores like Penney's and Prange Way. Sears had a version too with an SR logo that looked like an atom, and the ones you could get out of the back of Hot Rod were branded as Rader. Most of the Rader branded ones either had a single rib in the center of each spoke, or 3 ribs per spoke, but some of the generic store brand ones were flat like that.

3340 likes this.
  3. Racmit

Racmit

That's it! Thanks so much :) I found a thread here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-did-people-run-them-in-the-60s.937379/page-4
    That had a photo of rims just like them. Rader 2.png
    Thanks a bunch!

4. Actually, those things are wheels, the rim is the outer edge;)

5. thall

thall
    from nc

MVC-010F.JPG rr raider.JPG

Tri rib? have trim rings on them to cover crappy chrome underneath
    15 x 7 5 on 5-1/2

the center is aluminum and riveted to steel rim

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

now that you know what they are what are your plans for them, if any

7. What about those landing strips behind that wheel ? Are they fer sale ?

Just Gary and Hnstray like this.
  8. Racmit

Racmit

Oops. Still learning haha

9. Racmit

Racmit

Depends. If they're worth something significant to someone, maybe pass them on and get smoothies or something, but I'll probably clean them up and paint the rusted part and use them on my Model A :)

10. Racmit

Racmit

I dunno, maybe. Have to ask my grandpa. It's not up in Dallas where I am.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. Looks like Marston mat?:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. spooler41

spooler41

Gary, it's not Marston mat. Marston my has a flat edge with built-in hooks to hook it to an adjoining section. I had the pleasure of installing about 600 sq. feet of this mat at the Mueseum of Flight at Boeing field in Seattle ,its under the P 47 on the 2nd. floor of the Wings of Courage exhibit bdlg.. As a side note, it was never to have sculpted edges, but I made it work, with a plazma cutter!

Just Gary likes this.
  13. The rim is the only part he wanted to identify.

Here if you are from the right part of town they are called Wheel Rins. :D

If I recall the Radars had the center riveted to the rim which makes them real restorable.

14. Racmit

Racmit

Yeah, that makes sense. Would save me the trouble of having them taped off to paint, too. I'll look into it :) Wouldn't that add a bit of structural weakness though? Probably not enough to affect with the power range I'm working with, but worth commenting on.

15. Oh really?
    I think wanted the whole thing identified.

16. The thing that made Cragar Wheels desirable was the welded centers. But a lot of wheels had riveted centers. There was a place that restored them that removed the centers replaced or rechromed the rim and the rim got reattached with bolts.

I didn't read the entire page so I am not looking at material but I'll just about bet you could get cold forged aluminum rims and put on them.

Going to save this link, be a good place to find rims (shells) for widening '40 wheels. ;)