Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. That picture appears to be taken at Hemenway Harbor at Lake Mead, outside Las Vegas.

Austinrod likes this.
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

With this being Barris' 53 Lincoln, the original engine would be a 317 Lincoln Y Block. Can anyone read the script on the valve covers? There were more than a few aftermarket speed parts made for these cars along with some cool factory speed stuff. Edmunds aluminum valve covers, cragar bellhousings, sheiffer alum flywheels, hilborn injection, etc. I wonder what was done to this engine???

3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Well, atleast I’m not alone. It maybe sacrilege, but these over the top builds never did anything for me. Historic yes, but it seemed like excessive ridiculousness. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just don’t see it in the Sahara. Still as part of the Kustom Culture and History it should be saved. It would be a boring world if we all liked/disliked the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

mgtstumpy, murpa, Torkwrench and 2 others like this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Find another forum to shit on, thanks.

5. Those look like Edmunds to me.

Today has been such a mind-blowing day. So happy to see this car.

6. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Looking forward to the day it is restored and maybe shown next to the Hirohata Merc and The Aztec. Arguably the three most famous Barris Kustoms....
    As far as Kookie T. Save the Watson paint job and just take the goofy off it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

drdave likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Did the Sahara get repainted since the show days or did it just fade.

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Moriarity you don't have to sell any of your cool rides, you can lease them to some of us, we will take great care of them! PROMISE! Joe

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

That building is too big for these two cars, what else is in there? Bob

10. ditto ! he just doesn't get it (must be what he drives, Prius maybe . hates these gas guzzling Kustoms ? ) lol

Surfcityrocker, egads and Moriarity like this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

WOW! Given the time that build was done, The Sahara just blows me away.. There's lots of pioneering custom work there...... Damn I love those photos! Like going into a tomb....

Surfcityrocker, 'Mo, drdave and 2 others like this.
  12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

From what I heard many years ago ,I thought these cars where stored in a sealed climate controlled room. I actually picture a large glass display case in my mind. The Sahara would be a mind blowing undertaking to restore. Everything about is one off and hand made. The kookie kar is mostly bolt on customizing and would be a pretty straight forward restoration. I remember watching 77 Sunset Strip as a kid waiting for a shot of Ed Burns sitting in it combing his hair. And although I never saw Jim Smarts version at the World of Wheels in the sixties when I was a kid , I saw plenty of others just like it! And anybody who was 12 years old in 1967 and did not think cars like that where beyond kool grew up to think Norm should have restored the T to original condition when he first built it in 1955! lol Hope they get restored and shown while there are still people who will appreciate there history! Larry

13. LGW13

LGW13

That's for sure! Was sure a surprise to the current owner!

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with mercman, not my cup of t and I like customs. I would like to see it saved back to its glory because there was a time when it was hard to see what vehicle it was underneath.
    I guess I like them more subtle.... As for the Kookie T... "Say it ain't so Joe"......

Lou kriger likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like it has been a secret for way to long to be in this shape. :(

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I’d say this is definitely one of the biggest news items in the hot rod/custom world since the discovery of the Orbitron! For me, I'd say pull the ugly stuff off the T and leave it in the Watson paint! How may original Watson paint jobs are left out there?!?!

HunterYJ, drdave, Dooley and 2 others like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if the Golden Sahara would be as Iconic if it was publically viewed this whole time, as it is now that it is going to be seen by the public now. People understand the significance of this car or they don`t. You can`t explain it. It`s good to see it`s in such good shape. I heard it was in non restorable condition. The most epic auction since the selling of Tom McMullins 32.

drdave, egads, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

According to the current owner, the original Kookie car is just as it was, what is shown in these pics is the Kookie II T bucket

Stogy, Squablow and stanlow69 like this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

No,I think Norm's super good "T" is under that junked up outer. It didn't get put back,as the one that did that extra stuff,actully thought he made it better! An never got over the idea that most thought he just junked it up an blow a lot of his $$$ doing that junk. Likely why he would not sell {to him his art} not Norm's anymore. But to me,its a cartoon painted over the Mona Lisa,but thats me ! Art is not always Art of the same value. Going only with what I think by things I've read.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. Squablow

Squablow

If that's true, it's great news.

If it's not, I think I'd personally like to see it get restored back to it's TV glory days, but I don't think it'd be too much to ask for the new owner to grab up another T kit (either a new unbuilt one or an older finished one) and just transfer all the "stuff" from the current iteration onto another car, even if it's just a rolling display piece. Would be better than tearing things out indiscriminately or selling unused stuff off piece by piece. T buckets are cheap enough that it could be done without a huge investment. I just think it's a bit too important of a car, historically, to leave it in it's "updated" guise.

It would kinda be a shame to lose the current paint, but I could get over it.

As for the Sahara, I would love to see it restored, but I'd also love to see it as-is, just cleaned up and preserved somewhere that it won't deteriorate further. I could go either way, I just want it to be shown again.

It must have been mind-blowing in it's heyday.

Stogy likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If,the family should put a rider on sale of Cooky Car,that it must be kept looking as the crapped up thing it is right now; Then it is ether lost or,needs carefully worded buy,that after removing all the junk* off Norm's car,that the junk* can then be replaced on to a new underT to hold all the so called art work=Saved both cars that way/and family still can repect that work of art?. Just some thoughts,as others sometimes don't see things as I do.

Wow,I type so slow,the above got same idea posted b4 me,guess my one finger typing is not keeping up !LOL

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The current owner better do their homework. It is really well documented that this is the car from 77 sunset strip. All the cars that are currently blue are clones. No doubt about it

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

It’s the original T Bucket
    I never thought I’d see either car in my lifetime

drdave, Moriarity and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I, for one, wouldn't want to see it like it is now. Why? To remind me that a lot of show cars in the 60's sucked? I'd rather see it crushed and sold for scrap.

25. I would drive the wheels off that thing, then weld them back on

Lepus likes this.
  26. Toner283

Toner283

It would be pretty cool to have the Golden Sahara as it sits now and Voodoo Larry's tribute (or clone or whatever you want to call it) together for a photoshoot before it gets restored. Be a once in a lifetime photo-op.

Bigblue61, mr57, egads and 2 others like this.
  27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Whoever said the Sahara is in "unrestorable" condition hasn't been around any real restorers.

gonmad, John B, egads and 4 others like this.
  28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Well H.A.M.B.ER’s looks like another significant page will be added to Kustom Car history book, if the Sahara goes on the Block...get ready to turn the page, all is well in KustomLand!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never thought I would see them too.

chryslerfan55 likes this.