Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 mercury door hinges

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by farmer013, Mar 13, 2018.

1. farmer013

farmer013

Hey guys, anyone here modify 49 merc door hinges for replacement bushings? Or are we just stuck with buying new hinges?

2. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

SMS In Massachusetts specializes in rebuilding them.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

3. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

Hey Farmer, no help on the hinges but I haven’t seen your project updates? Have there been any and I have just missed them?

4. Mbartils

Mbartils

So what i did with mine was start by boring out the holes to whatever will give you a new true circular hole , then make new pins using hole transfer punchs because you can get them in basically any size you can dream of and at about $4-$5 per its relatively cheap. weld a "head" on one end and then drill a hole for a pin in the other end so it can't come out. Simple quick solution you can do yourself

Squablow likes this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

6. farmer013

farmer013

There will be updated very soon.
    Lots done, just haven't gotten around to posting. Thanks for the interest

7. farmer013

farmer013

Figured out a pretty good way to rebuild the hinges myself. Drilled out the old pins and over sized the center hinge for some bushings. Should work better than the remanufactured ones cause now they've got bushings in them, even feel smoother.
    Only cost $10 and a bit of my timeand patience 20180315_201828.jpg 20180315_201821.jpg

8. hot4mercs

hot4mercs
    from Iowa

They can be drilled out and new pins made. I found a pin that worked at Advanced Auto a year ago but this year found one on the other side was broken, machine shop made a new pin. My biggest problem with my `49 was no gaps from door to quarter. I put hinges in a vise and squeezed them together. That helped. There is a guy in Minnesota that does hinge rebuilding. Hope this helps.