Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects If it was raining soup I would be standing in the yard with a fork in my hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A number of years ago a buddy of mine went out to buy a car that was one of those "deals" and left his wife sitting in the car after making a deal and while running to the bank to get the cash. There was a guy wanting the car standing there talking to his wife when he got back cash in hand.
    Another buddy hooked up the trailer, had the cash in his pocket and headed out to buy a car after telling a the seller he would take the car for the advertised price and asked him to hold it for him until he got there and met the car headed down the road on a trailer about a mile from the seller's house. Guy sluffed him off even though he had told him he was the first caller on the phone and would wait for him. He always figured that the guy who bought it upped the ante on it.

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It wasn’t a case of a dollar short or days, etc. But, greedy un-trusting people that have power to hold something over you because they can. My wife and I were looking to get a woody wagon for our photo business and work it into a surf related venture. So, we looked around So Cal for a suitable woody wagon. The 40 Ford Woodies were the top choice since I owned a 40 sedan delivery and knew the car well. But, the 40 woodies were scarce back then and the ONE for sale was out of the question, as far as the price was concerned.
    upload_2018-3-12_4-22-30.png not the same one, but, similar in looks...
    We finally found a nice yellow 1946 Ford Woody in San Diego, that already had a three speed manual and a 283 SBC hooked up. The body was very nice, the doors shut well, the wood was refinished, but needed some work, and overall, it looked pretty good. The price was in the ball park of other 46 Woody Wagons we saw during the past month. So, with head nodding, we made an offer to buy it.

We had the money in our bank account and we brought a couple of hundred in cash for a deposit if necessary. We looked over the woody and both agreed that it would be our next vehicle. The seller was happy and then the paper work and discussion started. During the paperwork, the seller asked if we were going to pay cash. No… a personal check verified by our bank (letterhead) that had branches in San Diego and all over So Cal.

Jnaki

The seller said that we were “out of city people” and the check could not be verified locally…Wrong. Yes, we were “out of city” people from Laguna Beach, but a bank branch was in San Diego and other cities. It was a Saturday and banks were not open on the weekends back then. So, he asked if we could cash our personal check and come back with the money. We looked at him like he was from Mars. Didn’t he know that we were at least 1.5 hours away from home with all banks closed on a Saturday? A 6 hour trip back and forth just to cash a check?

So, my next step was to call my friend, Lee Bright from San Diego to vouch for us. The seller knew Lee from the automotive/hot rod circles in San Diego and past exchanges. Lee was talking to him for several minutes and then told me that it was a no sale. Why? Despite past San Diego friendships, that became a “no longer a friend” situation, the seller would not budge...“He was an as%^%@#.” We were “out of city people” with a personal check, that was it.

By this time, my wife was fed up with the antics of the seller. She said it was not worth our time and effort. We thanked Lee on the phone and walked out. The 46 woody was still for sale several months later at the same price. Within a month, we found another red/orange 40 Ford Sedan Delivery located 15 minutes away from us that had a 327 SBC including A/C that pleased my wife to no end. The price was less than the 46 woody from San Diego. Game, Set, Match… Plus, happy wife and all of the stuff that goes along with it.
    upload_2018-3-12_4-23-27.png

J.Ukrop, Thor1, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's the story of my life!

Life is like a box of chocolates, somebody else always gets the good ones.

clem, chevy54man, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  4. khead47

khead47

1936 Bugatti Coupe for $4500 in 1966 ! Complete car. Young and broke me .

5. That was a lot of scratch even back in 1966. HRP

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  6. khead47

khead47

^^^^^^ Yer right HRP ! I bought a new Fairlane conv for $2600 in 1966 !

HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  7. Day late dollar short stories? How much time you got?

Here is one that everyone is going to hate. The summer I joined the HAMB I waffled on a 1500 dollar '36 Ford coupe. Stock except for the '57 2x4 283 and the '39 Tranny, original paint, juice brakes ( I found a lot o this out while I helped load it). I had the guys address and he said come by anytime. Finally the Mrs said, "Well are you going to buy that coupe or not?" I said, "I don't have any money." She got in a drawer and peeled my off 15 crisp 100 dollar bills and said, "At least go look at it." So I did. The guy that got there an hour before me was loading it or trying. I said, "I'll bet I can get it started.." I had gas and jumper cables so I added some fresh gas to the skunky stuff and jumped it, Took a little jiggling but it fired and limped up on the trailer.

I hate that I missed that one.

We dropped 900 on my Galaxie a week later. LOL

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Beeno,that was one heck of a deal. :eek: HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  9. topher5150

topher5150

"...Some guys have all the luck
    Some guys have all the pain
    Some guys get all the breaks
    Some guys do nothing but complain..."

10. I know even back in '03. The guy that had it was old compared to us and I think he just wanted to see it get used again. He said last he drove it was too a good guys somewhere (I am guessing Des Moines) in the late '80s, it was his car when he was a young man.

Missed a deal on a '40 sedan just before I traded for the A bone. I was on here and wasn't much had been a running rod they wanted the drive train and was selling the rest of it. It was a roller and still had the '40 wheels with good tires on it. Same deal I told the Mrs showed her the pics she said call and take a road trip. If you don't like it you still got to take a road trip. I looked to PM and the ad just said sold.

I did not miss the last one by golly. :D

11. The old proverbial "Strike while the iron is hot" deal. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. Indeed

Sometimes it doesn't hurt for the owner of said car or parts to want you to be the next guardian of them. ;)

13. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

When gold first went back on the open market (starting at $35 an once) the weekend before I spent every thing I had on a $50 beater and a set of tires. I still had to walk most of the time.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Used to buy and sell alot (17-25yrs old) having ready cash on hand got me a lot of deals on cool cars that I would drive for a few months. OT stuff for this board.

Still missed out on many with a pocket full of cash.

olscrounger, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. wayne-o

wayne-o

A couple of years ago we had an ice storm in southeast Texas. A very rare occurrence and the roads out of town were all shut down. I was killing time at work browsing the local online classifieds where I found an early Corvette 2x4 manifold with WCFB carbs for $150. Immediately called and told the guy I wanted them. Gave him my name, Wayne, and he agreed to hold them for me. Only problem was I could not get to him as he was about 20 miles north of me. This was Thursday, call him again on Friday as roads were still closed and confirmed he was holding them and agreed to get them on Sat morning as it was warming up. Called Sat morning and he proceeds to tell me I already picked them up to which I explained I hadn't. He insisted I had. Wife was not amused as I was not a happy camper. Figured he found out what they were worth or was offered more money. A month or so later I get a call from a friend telling me he knows who has my carbs. Another guy named Wayne who I also know. He lived a lot closer and told me he was slipping and sliding all over the road to get there. The guy even thru in some hurst shifters to boot. Every time I see the "Other Wayne" he rubs it in.

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late 60'd early 70's I always kept a good bit of cash on hand. In those days folks could not get cash on the weekends. I bought many bikes and cars on the weekends this way. Would get up early sunday and read the classifieds. One time there was a 55 pickup fresh paint new 327 and car 4 spd-guy's father worked at Chevrolet dealer. It was mint but needed wiring finished and a few other things, Went there and there were a bunch of guys wanting it. I just told the guy if he wanted to sell it today I had the cash in hand-no one else had cash. He said ok and that was it-bought a few harleys and two Ariel sq 4's the same way. Now days folks can get the cash easier.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Clay Belt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. When I was looking for a vintage camper I ran across a 1957 Aljo that had been in storage since 62 after the owned passed away and his daughter was selling the property and offer the camper to me for a very attractive price and the camper was in mint condition.

I called her and she agreed to hold it for me until the following Saturday,and I agreed and then a couple of days went by and I realized the following Saturday was Valentines Day which is a huge day for Brenda's shop and I have to be a delivery boy so I called the lady and tried to make arrangements for Sunday and she said it had to be gone by Saturday and she was flying to Huston Saturday afternoon.

I tried everything I could think of and and even called my pal Dave to ask him to go get the camper,but when he answered his phone he was in Kentucky for a family get together.

18. indyjps

indyjps

Forgot to mention, at 17-25, I had good info on "selling car due to pregnancy" not so much anymore.

Clay Belt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. I remember reading in one of the weekly sales papers where a guy was selling his bass boat,and his pickup due to his girlfriend being pregnant,his wife was also pregnant and he was looking for enough cash to leave town,I don't know the validity of the claim but it sure was funny to read. HRP

20. stuff I missed because I was broke:
    a complete 427 tri power (vette engine) $1500
    a 427 4sp Fairlane for 6k
    factory big block SWB C10 with swivel buckets for $5500 super nice truck
    a running and driving 50 merc for $2800

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. topher5150

topher5150

I still kick my self for not buying my dad's 40 Ford tudor sedan. It had a IFS, 9" rear with a 302, and a body that was about 80% rust free with the original interior. All it needed was wiring, plumbing, and to be put together. I think he sold it for $6,000 he said he wasn't going to sell it to me and I needed to save my money for school.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When I saw the title of your thread Danny, I thought you'll be fine with the fork if it's raining chunky soup ;) :D:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. You ain't right! :D HRP

Blue One likes this.
  24. I have had a car sold out from under me, had a deposit and everything... someone walked up with more $$ than the agreement we had. Blows a monkey for sure. But I've been in the right place at the right time now and then too. IF something really good comes up now, I will be jumping on it even if I have to take out cash advances on credit cards.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

You can look at this dilemma two ways. Shortly after buying something I can't live without, I always find something I like better at a cheaper price. It never fails.

olscrounger likes this.
  26. phat rat

phat rat

I don't take checks from anyone. out of town or not. If you want it bring cash or no sale

27. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

HOTRODPRIMER, "I knew I didn't need another car but when did common sense make any difference?"
    (Also referring to the current insurance TV spot) Now that's a great quote - and one I think all HAMBers live by.
    Lucas

Clay Belt likes this.
  28. Last time tit was raining soup here I ran outside and got hit right in the mouth with a hay bale. :D

bobss396 likes this.
  29. Luke stone

Luke stone

A old guy my dads knows had a 39 willys pickup in his yard for years rotting away but we didn't no as soon as I bought mine another freind said you no where there's another 1 of those. Dad contacted him about it and he had weighed it in a couple of months earlier it was complete too although I suspect very rough could have been a good donor though

Luke

30. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I was young, I had cash and bought a lot of cars & trucks. I bought a place in the country so I had a place to put them, at one time I had 13 + the drivers.
    I had a couple of buddies that were in the same boat I was in, but we all preferred other brands of vehicles. When we saw something, we would do the buddy system, we paired up to go look. We both had cash, and we usually took a truck and trailer. If we were short of either, one of us would stay with the car while the other guy got whatever we still needed.

When you have cash, and a way to remove the vehicle from the premises the same day, and someplace you could put a truck and trailer, you didn't miss out on much.

These days, it takes a lot more money, but I still have a place I can park something for a short time, and tow trucks are much easier then the truck and trailer. I just don't have the desire to collect stuff that I used to have. Gene