Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Daily Driver Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Daily Driver Journal

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

63fdsnr and Special Ed like this.
  2. I appears your ether going to have to embrace some amenities offered by the late models and adapt them to your old pickup or sell it and buy a new King Ranch or heaven forbid a mini van to envelope your self and your young prodigies in a EPA & a consumer reports safety rated land yacht ,,oh the horrors

Take a walk on the wild side and add heat & air to your old reliable truck,a couple of extra seat belts should keep the kids safe, the truck would still be cool and do everything you need it to do.

BTW,this is just my 2 cents worth. HRP

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. FastLivin

FastLivin

All valid points. There's ZERO shame in driving a kid hauler with airbags. Keep those kiddos safe. All the old cars in the world aren't worth them getting hurt in a crash.

Surfcityrocker and Hnstray like this.
  4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Same boat homie. I love my old truck but it has been sitting on jackstands about 2 hours worth of wiring away from being done for a year now- Just because I know I have to sell it when it is done and I don't wanna. Cam is pushing me to go get a new pickup and I keep thinking about how far that amount of money would go right now for something old. If I get something a couple years old, that leaves a good 20k on the table to play with but then again even '14 or '15 Sierras and Silverados are almost 30k with any reasonable mileage.

Crazy.

Positive side note. Lil K is girly but TOTALLY batshit nuts about cars. Anytime she wants a new toy its a car and she even figured out what the monstrosity in the garage is and that it's called walter. Now she likes to go out there and get in it and sit and eat cookies. I love it.

osage orange, NoSurf and cactus1 like this.

5. Plus you'll never forgive yourself if something happens, now that you've considered getting something newer to transport the kids in.

osage orange likes this.
  6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_7080.JPG Ryan, A lot of us grew up in cars that did not have seat belts, hard metal dashes without padding, no 5 mph bumpers and non collapsing steering columns but we survived. Most mini vans don't have air bags in the rear. Have you seen any School Busses with air bags or seat belts other than for the driver. No side impact air bags for the children. The supplemental restraint I.E. air bags are great, but the weight of the person must be enough to arm them, most don't recognize a child weight so they don't work. Some won't work if the seat belt is not latched.
    I realize you want safety for your children, but I personally think it takes a responsibil person driving Without distractions I.E. cell phones GPS maps and a host of outher distractions.
    New car VS old car keep them buckled up and shoulder harnesses are a must, and drive responsibile .
    Remember Helicopter Do NOT have ejection seats

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You could set up a go fund me page for a truck. :D We feel your pain man. Too bad you can't keep the old truck it's a neat one. Back in the day we never would have given it a second thought to toss the kids in the front seat and go, course everyone else was driving the same thing and we had no cell's to distract everyone from driving and paying attention. Roads were safer I believe. There's a song I believe..."Married man, married man, drives around in a minivan" . Just wear a wig and sunglasses. We all have to make concessions. Lippy

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

1-shot beat me to it. Lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

As a fellow Austinite, man you aren't kidding...If I had a quarter for every Silverado or F150 that looks like the only thing that has seen less real work in its life was the guy behind the wheel, I might be able to afford some Austin real estate. Although my daily driver truck is a much-younger (and safer!) model but with the dings, scratches, dents, and scars that it has added over the years I too have felt that same smugness.
    And also, I'd just like to point out on the safety issue--no matter how carefully you drive, Austin is rotten with garbage drivers. I just don't get this idea that since a lot of people grew up in what would today be considered horribly unsafe cars that if you are just a careful enough driver it's something to just shrug off. The only upside to Austin's horrendous traffic is that most of the idiots who are doing all these other things while driving--ok, who are we kidding, they are all using their phones--are usually moving slow enough not to do any life-threatening damage. I guess I can kind of understand the nostalgia from the old-timers for not wearing seatbelts, but it's just too deeply ingrained in me to feel comfortable riding around without one for any length of time.

10. jim snow

jim snow

Just my 2 cents. Family safety above all. Snowman

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Send them all back to California, problem solved

Ric Dean and wbrw32 like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

My wife bought a new truck in 1998, and has got a couple more late models since then. I drive them sometimes, but I still drive the old ones a lot. Most families probably can't afford or have room for as many vehicles as we have, though.

It does get old, driving old crap. So I'm headed out to California in a couple days in a 30 year old truck, which is only slightly better than a 60 year old truck, as far as creature comforts. Noisy, bumpy, drafty, but the cruise and heater work. Anything could break at any time, so at least it's still an adventure.

Welcome to selloutsville.

13. I have two trucks because i'm a truck guy

'90 Chevy short regular cab 4x4 with remote start
    because you have to have those here to survive our winters.
    No airbags

Hotrod is a '33 Ford pickup, flathead,5 gear, dirt trackers
    No seatbelts or heater, ac is cowl vent and windshield.
    I'll take my daughter, who is now 20, in either truck.
    In summer we take the '33 most everywhere.

Only need two in my opinion.
    Even if I had the wherewithal, I wouldn't have a new truck.
    I don't believe in depreciating assets.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You can get a NICE new truck around this time of year for about 10k under sticker or so usually as the incentives on year end models go up. I just leased a 2018 RAM for about 10 under sticker with all the incentives since RAM is already focusing on the 2019 model (total restyle). It's got 4wd, heated seats/steering/climate control, satellite radio/roadside assistance, all the goodies you can imagine, room for 5 passengers AND most of the hot rod parts I can afford (I just hauled a T body home last week).

tractorguy likes this.
  15. belair

belair

Compartmentalize your life. Daily drivers are tools to be used for transportation. To get you from A to B in relative comfort and safety. You are Dad and Husband, caring for those you are responsible for - protecting your charges. Old cars are the other side of who we (you) are or who we want to be. Mr. Cochran (hope I spelled it right) daddy, hubby, and rising internet scion/entrepreneur drives a late model something. Entirely appropriate in Austex. Ryan, the devil-may-care hot rodder, rebel, racing affeciando and rising internet scion/entrepreneur drives a bad-ass car (entirely appropriate in Austex) that gives drivers and pedestrians alike some serious whiplash as he rumbles by. So go buy a 10 year old 4 door pickup and embrace the change.

16. @Ryan When will the shoebox be put into daily service?

drdave likes this.
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safety for the little ones is the highest priority. There are too many distracted nutcase drivers on the road these days. We have two late model full size GMC's (Z71 pickup and Yukon) for highway and city travel due to the careless drivers in our area.
    My wife has to make routine trips down the highway for 250 miles to assist with her mother and I want her in a full size 4X4-cost is no object.
    Some years ago I was driving on a winding mountain road and a lady hit me head on in my lane doing about 45 and I was slowed to about 25-30. I was in a full size 4X4 and she was in a little compact car. Both were totaled but I came out fairly good considering the impact. She on the other hand had to be cut out of the car and did'nt fare well at all. CHP said I was very lucky to be driving the 4X4 or I might have been more seriously injured or killed We drive our older cars a good bit too but have to be vigilant at all times.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I love old cars but when it goes from being fun to drive to being a hassle done out of principle just to prove a point then I'm out.

I'm a big fan of the all-out beater myself, I agree with Flowmeister about no depreciating assets. I have a big truck to pull my car trailer around and haul heavy stuff with, with 320K miles on it, and a minivan that cost me $300 which soaks up all the winter road salt and hauls tools to painting jobs or shit home from the junkyard. It took a deer hit for me, glad that wasn't one of my old cars then.

I can justify driving a late model to myself without much effort. I have a much harder time justifying spending more than a couple grand on one when that's money I won't recoup and it's also money that could go to my hobby or my business.

However I do admire anyone who can make a go with only 40+ year old cars all the time.

Thor1 likes this.
  19. same boat
    my wife sends me pictures of newer trucks all the time
    she loves old cars, just thinks I need something more 'comfortable'
    my bus does not have heat or AC, crap it has manual wipers, but I drive it daily.
    I am now known as the guy that drives the lowered short bus
    when not in the bus, Im driving my new truck(67f100) it does have heat.
    my bus gets about the same MPG as my friends z71.
    but nobody takes pictures of that or points and stairs and the bus has a ZERO dollar monthly payment.
    build the family a short bus, add some climate control and seat belts
    problem solved

on the other hand. a slammed late model crew cab sounds nice

20. rc57

rc57

Get rid of the kids. You can always make more.;)

21. apenglish64

apenglish64

No shame in being that guy in town with the old, impractical classic! Lifted this from the bottom of the Kustomrama site:
    "Enjoy the distinction that is inherent in owning a customized car." - Edgar Almquist Jr.

And as others have mentioned, if it's gotta be a late model maybe make it not-too-late? something that will not depreciate too much? When I take a break from daily driving my 65 rivi for example, I'm looking to drive my brother's derelict 95 acura legend - 6 cylinder, 6 speed, big coupe. Or if I had the money to burn I would pick up something like this but with AC: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-oldsmobile-cutlass-2/ since I'm sure it's at least slightly safer/more practical than my 65. Both ideas are of course far from HAMB friendly but they're a lot more distinct than picking up a brand new four door civic and a lot cheaper too. I guess my point is there's lots of options out there.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Family first.

In Nebraska it's tough to truly drive an old vehicle year-round. So, I've always had a late model pickup as a driver. They must be affordable and reliable and the current daily is my favorite out of the past 20 years worth. 2001 F150 Supercrew 2wd, lowered 2"/4". Still safe for a family (although, I don't have kids), very reliable, very affordable.

Oh, and I'm only 5'7" - it's a lot easier to get into than those huge, tall late model trucks :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Just buy a damn late model truck to augment the fleet! Something about 10-15 years old, owned by an old couple with low miles (they are out there and for pennies on the dollar compared to a new one). You will enjoy the creature comforts, safety crap and the joys of fuel injection and 75k mile tune ups. DO IT....I WONT TELL A SOUL! (Nice 2002 GMC Xtracab 2500 with 6.0 tow package is what I have and it's heaven....but shhhhhh)

Edit: I know you will hate everything about this photo, but goes to back up my reference to the 2500, I had a 1500 Avalanche but the minute I realized treating the roadster with the consideration it deserves (after towing it in an open trailer on snowy/salted roads) there is zero comparison between the towing/braking capabilities of the two. The 2500 is amazing!

20180303_165514.jpg

24. alchemy

alchemy

My daily driver is 20 years old (and it's A/C hasn't worked in years), and I've spent more time fixing on it that I have my hot rod lately. :(

My daily before this one was a '72 Suburban. Sounded like a hot rod, drank gas like one, lowered about 4", but had plenty of room for a family. My kid used to call it the school bus.

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree with most here, Kid's safety #1, today's traffic and driving styles is scary IMO. I, like Alot of old timers grew up with no safety equipment in parents cars and not much in my car's as my kids born from 66-72. Part of your discomfort is maybe you are starting to age some and modern conviences are feeling pretty good. Suggest you buy yourself a modern SUV with all the safety features, side airbags etc.(can still haul car parts in back) By posting this thread these thoughts are in your mind already AND you would never forgive yourself if the worst happen, Times have changed, traffic/safety wise, no one would fault you for doing the safest transportation for your children. I've Been through it, wait till they start driving/dating,( always hoped my daughters did not date boys like I was@16/17) your grey hair/no hair is coming, all part of being a parent. This car deal has it's place in our lives, but Family is First.....

26. Normant93

Normant93

Hey Ryan, I feel your pain man, been there, suffered through all my friends giving me shit for buying what they called a "low testosterone" vehicle (minivan for my wife) after we had kids. I think Blake and Belair said it best, and I agree with both of them completely, as hard is it may seem to give up (or put on temporary hold) a huge part of who you are, the kids safety has to be the first priority (as clearly it already is for you). If Austin is as much of an idiots on parade shit show as the Boston area roads are, I'd want those kids strapped in to a large vehicle with airbags all around them..... and the fact is, you can still drive your cars when you're not on transport duty and with the kids on the weekend, when it's just for fun.....best of both worlds man!
    Perhaps another thing to consider, it wont be too many years before they start driving and you'll feel a lot better about sending a new, inexperienced driver out on their own, if they're strapped in to 2 tons of reinforced steel and airbags.
    One final thought, then I have to get back to work, I've built or rebuilt most of the cars I've ever owned, but in 1995 and then again in 2004 (to get 4 doors for the kids), I ordered new Dodge Dakotas, both V8, 5 speed stick, 4wd, 3.90 gears, heavy duty everything, in the colors and with just the options I wanted, and in each case I paid the dealer $100 over their invoice to process the order, so they were good deals. I still have the 2004, 14 years and 200k miles later, I still really like it, both my kids drove it when the were learning and my cost/mile driven is almost nothing. Now it's pretty much just my winter ride and hauler. My point is, there's something kinda nice about having a truck built just for you, exactly the way you want it (without you having to build it). So if you're going to take a break from daily driving vintage machines in the interest of your kids safety, at least make it fun, practical and something you can enjoy.
    Perhaps it's now time for Atomic Industries to have a company vehicle\shop truck, you know, reduce operating income by the business use portion of the costs = reduced tax liability..... it's a win-win!

Hnstray, tractorguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Bluedot

Bluedot

I favor an old vehicle for a daily driver for me, but if hauling family, as many others have said, safety is the first consideration. There's a sound reason why fewer people are dying in car wrecks today than 60 years ago, even with much more traffic, idiots, and accidents. I could never forgive myself if my grandkids died just because of being in an old car.
    Family first. It's why we all do what we do.
    PS- Seatbelts are an easy add in any car. I will not ride in one without them, nor build a car without an e-brake.

28. Just don't go and get a Subaru Forrester.

The modern midsize is where to be. Chevy Colorado and such.

good luck with the search. Maybe have a rotating schedule for your vintage cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. The way I'd look at it is that the F100 ain't so bad. Throw some lap belts in it and the kids'll be fine. I rode the bus as a kid. They still haven't changed. I like to think of them as a death trap. No seat belts, 500 little shits stuffed in a tin can with no belts. Not a bit of padding. There's been a few bad crashes I can remember hearing about. Always lots of injuries. They bounced around inside the thing. My kid brother had an accident in his late model. He got hit by some guy hauling ass. The air bags didn't deploy. He hit his head on the back glass so hard it shattered. Other than a knot on his head and a headache he was fine. And this kid's body ain't so tough. He's got cf and osteoporosis apparently caused by the medication. He usually has to have what's called a porticath which is a thing embedded under his skin in his chest with a line that runs to his heart so they can draw blood or give him an iv since the veins in his arms just collapse if they try to use them. If he would have been wearing the shoulder part of the belt, he wouldn't be here today. I do lap belts and lap belts only. I had a g-body Chevy (the sexy SS model) that was NICE and it got hit head on by some cunt. My car needed a hood, fender, radiator support, and nose but was otherwise fine. Her Toyota was totaled. Her airbags didn't go off and she was doing 45-ish the report said. She broke the windshield with her damn head and blood was everywhere but unfortunately her sorry ass lived after destroying my beloved SS. New shit isn't really any safer IMHO, just is different and costs more. Government organizations and modern corporations don't give a damn about us.

30. I understand the responsible adult that want's to provide his children have the safest mode of transportation and that speaks highly of the individual,in this case Ryan Cochran.

Do what you think is best but your old pickup is paid for,the insurance is not all that high and it's classic and it hauls crap you don't want to throw in your coupe so why not keep it,you don't have to justify anything to us or yourself.

To my knowledge you haven't had another pickup and when it's gone your gonna miss it. HRP

MUNDSTER, Outback and Normant93 like this.