Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Aftermarket gauge add on location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, Mar 11, 2018.

1. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Have a 65 Buick that I want to change up my interior on a bit. I made a center console some years back to hold a radio, cup holders, speakers, and a three gauge set (oil, water, volts). I’m planning on getting rid of the console for a cleaner look but don’t know what I want to do with the gauges. Looking for some custom ideas or clean setups to mount them or do I just go back to the dummy lights and forget the gauges?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You have four choices; under the dash, in the dash, on top of the dash, and just in front of the windshield (but that's a race car thing). Don't know what your dash looks like...

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Under dash at bottom of dash rail would look period correct?
    [​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  4. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

I’m aware of the typical locations and bracket. Was just looking for something different I guess. Was hoping someone had thought of something a little cleaner and less of an add on look.

5. Finksburg, eh? My inlaws live on Sandymount rd. Gas is cheaper there than most areas close to you, I fill up there before crossing back into PA.
    How about a vintage afterm[​IMG]arket heater with the flip open doors to hide the gauges?

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

What do you use the gauges for? how often do you look at them? Do the original idiot lights work?

I would probably just not use the gauges, unless you have issues such as occasional overheating that you are concerned about...and then, I'd just install the guage(s) that you really need. I know it's traditional to install a few add on gauges in a car, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to do it.

Under the dash is the least obtrusive place, yet also the hardest to see. If it's a race car, you put them where you can see them, and don't worry about it.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. Personal preference is always my rule. I’m a bit anal about looking at mine. Doing it how you personally like is “ traditional “ in my book.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. If you race you want them in your face. If you do not check them much, use the (functioning ) lights.;)

olscrounger likes this.
  9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Here's where I put mine...lol gauges.JPG

Flathead Dave and mad mikey like this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I'm with Jim. Stuff them in glove box and install some idiot lights. Looks a lot cleaner.

olscrounger and Elcohaulic like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If you're kidding around or not, it does look good.

mad mikey likes this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a friend with a nice 56 and a stout running 327. He drove it evetywhere with no problems. He decided to put gauges in a panel under the dash but left the lights and had a stock temp gauge that registered just above the middle mark. After that every time it would hit near 200 degrees he would panic and call me. Told him to put tape over it and keep driving it as he had been, He did for a while and finally ignored the gauge.

Elcohaulic and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I had the stock temp gauge in my 55, as long as it was below H it would not boil....and I didn't really want to know what the numbers were. I put an awful lot of miles on the car, never lost a head gasket or anything. (blown 454)