Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have a power source for GPS when you need it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 10, 2018.

1. or a place to charge your phone,I have had one in the sedan for a long time and when traveling it beats folding maps.

The GPS is not traditional but when you arrive at your destination they can be unpluged and stowed under the seat. HRP

[​IMG]

nochop, i.rant, okndnx and 8 others like this.
  2. Traditionally they were cigar lighters.
    Then a little on topic and a little off - cigarette lighters. Every car had them.
    Then they switched the pin in the bottom and now it's a power port.

3. Something as cool looking as a 32 Ford 3 window cigar lighter looks good in plain sight but what I use is best hidden under the dash. HRP

olscrounger, zzford, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Yup. Use it for a more accurate speedometer. Snowman

okndnx, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I took one of these and cut the male end off and added wire terminals in it's place. It hang's behind the dash and just above the lower edge as not to be visible.
    [​IMG]
    Before you ask why not use the one in the dash?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Fordor Ron, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Power outlet is a must have, I've used a Garman GPS (Bitch in the box) when traveling for many years now, my new one even tells me if there is a traffic problem/accident, alternate routes to use. Being a Old Timer, still have maps, look at them when traveling to a new adventure to get a picture in my old brain, but that Garman is one of the best things my wife ever purchased for me traveling. Back in my Roadster days, had a 12V plug in electric blanket (another gift from honey) for those cool evenings, phone charger, etc., Can not imagine not having one. We all like traditional look/style, I put mine in glove box or under seat when not using

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    zzford, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  7. uncle buck

uncle buck

One is not enough in today’s world . I installed 2 of them . Charge a cell phone and run the gps at the same time . I have one on each side of the trans tunnel in my lower seat frame

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger, zzford, Texas57 and 4 others like this.
  8. e z i

e z i

No 'cause they ain't got 6v GPS.:D

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put one of those power outlets under my dash for those, ahem, devices that take that kind of plug. With the cap on it, you hardly notice it under there. I have a two way splitter if I have to have two things plugged up at one time. They draw very low amps, so it's safe to use with them, but I wouldn't trust it on a 12 volt window defroster or something like that that draws a lot of amps.
    My cars original lighter socket is still there, but I don't use it. The knob is a part of the lower dash, it looks like a mouth with a missing tooth if it's not in it's socket.

10. Funny you would mention that,I had a electric heater in my old original style flathead 4 door deuce sedan,it kept us from freezing and worked pretty good,it had a cigarette lighter plug and really didn't drwq too much power. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Johnny Gee and 2 others like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had one of those defrosters that looked like a hair dryer, long cord, plug it in and then go defrost the glass. Worked pretty good, until the plastic on the plug melted in the light socket! I don't think you were suppose to use it but a minute or two at a time, not long enough to do all the glass in a car....the wire itself got pretty warm, but the plug melted and stuck in the socket. That socket never worked right after that.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the 50s an 60s,Cigarette lighters/plug has been in every car I ever owned or I added one. Why,well I didn't smoke,but most of the pretty gals did,an I needed to be a Boy Scout{Be Prepared} also with beach blanket anb things like that. But I didn't smoke,as a pack of smokes cost the same as a gal. of gas,=a must have to go !

upspirate, zzford, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  13. Me and you both Dana,I never smoked. HRP

jimmy six, upspirate, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  14. "Remember Chris, if she smokes, she pokes..."
    -Lois Griffin

Black_Sheep, zzford, ladyhrp and 5 others like this.
  15. NOW you tell me.

zzford, Texas57, 1932tub and 5 others like this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

In my 46 I can get away with the cigarette lighter plug however I've got one of those plugs Danny uploaded to go into my 35. I'll wire it to fuse box and install it up under dash rail out of sight like the wiper switch, however easily reached when/if needed. There was no way I was going to cut my OEM dash facia to install an aftermarket plug or radio. Out of sight, out of mind and since it's an open car with no windows, I won't rely on the honesty of others when I'm not around. :D

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Sweeties waiting Dana
    and she needs a light...;)
    s_236095_1384111946_katmalow6.jpg

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, 47ragtop and 5 others like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do depend on such luxuries out of fear of being nailed in areas of speed sensitivity such as School Zones, lower speed city/neighborhoods and when I happen to be in vicinity of the Law I really want to know exactly what I'm doing...The 36 speedo works but we are in KPH not MPH and driving and doing math is really a pain in the rear...so the GPS goes in for just that reason. The plug is outta site under the glove box...GPS suctions onto dash...easy peasy.

When I get to destination all goes away outta site...30K over here and its really not hard to do....you can have it towed away and charged with stunt driving/racing...not good.

19. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

GPS in your car? ........Real Men don't read maps

If you want to "dematerialize into a Smombie" [smartphone zombie] then simply install one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F4ZGTZ/ref=psdc_2407770011_t3_B00I3P6QQG
    Install in you glovebox and hook-up 2 wires

Then you can go onto "two-facedbook" without worrying about your phone getting a flat battery [the car battery is a different concern]

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't use the GPS for maps I use it for a speedometer...I know where I'm going...:confused:...:D

OFT, jimgoetz, Jeff Norwell and 7 others like this.
  21. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

I put one of these in my old Super Bee. Mounted it discreetly on the side of the console. It was about $10 from eBay and runs off a 12v source. You get one 2.1amp USB outlet and one 1.0amp. One of those really simple mods that you'll use all the time.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I use the cig. lighter in the 40 dash, in the coupe for my gps. I have not done any long distance in some time, use a trailer. It does work great for a speedometer. ;)

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  23. The speedometer is a nice feature but the way we travel and end up at venues we have never been to in the past the GPS is a great co-pilot! HRP

24. Dennis D

Dennis D

Fourth hole from the left:)

Attached Files:

• dash.JPG
      dash.JPG
      File size:
      180.5 KB
      Views:
    325w, TagMan, ladyhrp and 6 others like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have an old Garmin mounted on the windshield, I think the rubber suction cup has permanently bonded to the glass by now. It's hard wired into the ignition, so it's powered up everytime I start the car. It's mostly used as a speedometer (car doesn't have a real speedometer), and as an odometer, which I reset everytime I fill up the tank, and I can keep track of how far I've gone on that tank. I'll use it occasionally for actual GPS work, but the maps are out of date, and Garmin sucks compared to Google Maps or Waze, so I use my cel phone when I really need a GPS. For that I have a USB port in the dash. If that bothers somebody else, that's too bad for them, I'm not worried about it. There's probably something about their car that bothers me.

ladyhrp, jim snow, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then this would be the only posture I would tolerate.
    [​IMG]

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Mine are attached to the heater below the dash. I always use my Garmin on road trips. It is like having a heads up display. They are easy to stow away when you get to your destination.
    upload_2018-3-11_10-7-44.jpeg

28. I have one under the dash in both Roadster & Coupe. I love the GPS especially since I cannot remember much these days. You cannot see the ones I put in and I just use the suction cup on the GPS to mount it to the dash when used.

29. I put two in the seat riser of my T, I didn't think one would be enough. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  30. I'm stunned Big Dan, I thought an old grizzled warrior like you could navigate with nothing but the North Star.
    Even on a sunny day.
    Cigarette lighters are traditional, so is hiding stuff.

ladyhrp, Stogy, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.