Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyvolt, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I am getting ready to put some wheels on my 41, and looking for some options that would still fit the traditional-ish look I'm after.

I've kinda ruled out wide whites, but been wondering what era a mag/aluminum as cast wheel would fall in?

I went through the thread on 42-48 fords and they are mainly www and steels

What era would torque thrust wheels fall into?

Right now i am using some Chrysler steels, 15x6 1/2 with 205 60s and they rub when turning. I think i will need to drop back to a 5 inch wide wheel, and maybe 195 70s
    Thanks fellas[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Best looking mag wheel ever made IMHO
    [​IMG]

zzford, WB69, blowby and 1 other person like this.
  3. Early 60s but more popular and more common later. You could Get copies of the TQ at the grocery store.

4. Painted steelies still look good. HRP

[​IMG]

5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Painted steelies are my favorite also, they are like permanent press clothes but I call them “Wash & Wear”.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Some 16" stock painted wheels with blackwalls...with an odd small hubcap....like a dodge.

[​IMG]

Unkl Ian likes this.
  7. There's some real hard core wheel nuts around here.
    The lips, edges, spoke shape, are different on the latest releases from AR. But They are extremely reasonable and hard to say no to.
    The originals
    image.png
    Team III version
    image.png

Us mags version, nice wheel ugly ass cap
    image.png

image.png

My personal fave, the AR t70 (not the repop T70-R)
    Round cap, slender pointy spokes bigger Windows. I'm
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

zzford and brad2v like this.
  8. Too bad those 6" steelies don't work for you. They fill that wheel well, nicely.

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Don't do it...don't go with Torq Thrusts, they've been done to death. Painted steelies with a pinstripe
    whitewall?

wbrw32 and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm in the same boat. I don't care for painted steel wheels and hub caps that much. I prefer a chrome or polished aluminum wheel. I'm torn between the Torque Thrust style, or the 5 hole slotted mags. I just know my dated bullet hole wheels need to go as soon as I can afford to get rid of them.....

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

12. ...first of all, if somethin don't rub/scrape, it aint low enuf,...painted steelies are cool/cheap.

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Having known the cars from the early 60s in high school, the look for those with extra spending money was chromed reversed rims on blackwalls. Those of us without, looked to other ways of making the car we drove "cool." Of course, the top of the line were the Halibrand Magnesium wheels and blackwalls, but that was way out of our league and pocketbooks. Several of my friends had a 55 chevy, 2 door post sedan, 56 chevy and 46 Ford coupe. They had chromed reversed rims on blackwalls.

I owned a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery as my daily driver and surf vehicle. The color was Salmon Pink (Supposed to be racer orange) and it came with matching rims on blackwalls. I painted my rims black, added small Ford hubcaps and beauty rings. The look was classy, somewhat old school, and inexpensive.

upload_2018-3-11_5-59-15.png upload_2018-3-11_5-46-3.png

Many years later, we bought another red/orange 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with an SBC, auto, A/C and I made the look similar to the high school version. The paint was much deeper and brighter red/orange.
    upload_2018-3-11_5-51-44.png It started off with black rims. So, again, I added small hubcaps and beauty rings to finish the look. To some, I was driving my high school surf vehicle, but with more power and comfort. That was the idea.

Jnaki
    We all have our own ideas about what cars should look like in various models. If the American Mag 5 spokes are the look, go for it. We put on some of those American Mag 5 spokes on our last El Camino. They made the car look outstanding, look fast and had the drag race look we were trying to show. They looked much better than the 15 inch Corvette rims and small hubcaps we had on it first. (not HAMB acceptable to post)

One of my favorite Ford sedans is owned by LBCD. (Great looking without going overboard.) Yes, it has whitewalls, but the stance, the overall look, outstanding car. Check it out.

also: Please check your PM...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. Where's it rubbing ??
    This brake kit makes track width wider.
    image.jpeg

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, I remember when I saw those T-70's the first time in a magazine years ago when aluminum slots or Cragars were on most everything, it seemed like all the really cool "streetrods" had them, and yes, I wanted to be one of the cool kids too.
    You know you have a wheel "illness" when you think it's ok to spend twice as much money just to be cool, is that a bad thing?
    How many of you just looked at those and thought just another five spoke wheel, well look again.
    Not positive but I don't recall any other wheel having a threaded center cap, man it really makes them look almost "sveltelike", is that a real word?
    Those became really hard to find so when I first saw these Halibrands with the screw-on cap I knew I had to have a set. I love to see peoples' expression when they see how much different they look without the mounting ears.

20170217_205503.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  16. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

This is not an image of my suspension, but T42's front end. I went with a narrowed magnum dropped axle and their brake kit. My wheels only rub when i make a tight turn. I fully intended on narrower wheels when the time arrived. I new i could get my money back out of the mopar steels.

17. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I still have the original steel wheels and caps, but now i would have to run adapters because i changed the drums to discs. I am guessing the stockers are 4.5 width, and with adapter im close to the same offset as the 15 inch wheels i run now.

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

19. Sorry my bad there

What part of the tire rubs where on what part of the car.

20. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I'm hoping that a 5 inch wheel and some 70 or 75 series tire will get it done, but that's the info i seek![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. zzford

zzford

Could you go with a narrower profile tire? Maybe a 78 series tire?

22. Those rubbing pics show 2 problems.
    First problem is offset, can be corrected by increasing wheel back space, removing any spacers if any, rotors with a shorter hat dimension, moving the wheel centers.
    Second is ride height. Can be corrected by Putting a little spring height back in, getting the fender opening further from the ground is the goal.
    Running a shorter tire will bring the fender opening closer to the ground.
    Increasing ride height, cutting fenders, perhaps rolling them the old school way with a ball bat may help enough.

23. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

After multiple calls to wheel vendors, i find out that they can't get a wheel with the offset/back space i needed. Say look at fwd cars. On a chance i follow up on a clist add for some narrow ww tires, and they are on Studebaker wheels. Measured up at 1 3/4 front space, versus my previous 2 3/4. I'm now moving in the right direction. Smaller tires and i think ill have it[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

low budget and '52 F-3 like this.