Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional do-dads inside old hotrods?!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Pete Poling, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Since I bought my ‘29 A pickup I’ve been collecting cool (to me) little trinkets and do-dads.... but I’ve always wondered what would a guy of had in his hotrod back in the day? Feel free to post pics of your little touches to your interior! Here are some of mine.

Attached Files:

2. 4speed411

4speed411

IMG_20170813_173025084.jpg Finned aluminum oil filter cover used as a beverage holder

3. sdroadster

sdroadster

Less is more....

LBCD, -Brent-, Boryca and 21 others like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah; a little still sitting on the dash. Like that won't cause some LEO a reason to overdo his/her job. Just yankin' your chain!!! Anything to be different or unique is cool as far as I'm concerned. I can't read the decal below the still; what's it say? The "Repeal Prohibition" button is a nice touch. I've had a little troll doll in my DD truck for at least 30 years. My daughter used to suck on the trolls hair when she was a baby; and she's going to be 26 pretty soon. One thing I've always done with my hobby cars, is to place 1/2" "hardware cloth" (it's not cloth, so why do they call it cloth?) inside of the license plate trim ring, covering the plate for protection and to limit access. Someone peeled off my license tags one time, so that was my solution to prevent it from happening again. I've actually had the police give me a hard time (ticket) about it; "obstructing the plate". But, the judge easily read the plate without any problem in court (carried the plate in with me; try that these days), so the ticket was tossed out, and the judge invited the officer to meet with him in chambers after the docket. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for that. This was 35+ years ago when police officers HAD to be present in court for those folks contesting tickets. I have a couple of police officer "figurines" , one's holding a donut in one hand and a box of donuts under the other arm, and a cartoon-like "police car" I think was meant to be a dogs squeaky toy. I have't gotten up the nerve to put them in my cars yet. OK, OK, I have an issue with the police!!! PM me your name/address, and I'll send you four hat pins with booze bottles on the ends to go with your theme. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.

5. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

What about fuzzy dice and/or a raccoon or fox tail on the rear bumper? (Imitation tails will be acceptable now-a-days.) I've read in the past that some had a switch-activated red light under the dash for, uh, something to do with a girl, night and out-of-the-way place.

6. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

The still on the dash isn’t permanent... just thought it looked neat up there, I’m a fan of any and everything moonshine! Plus everyone I run into at the gas stations says it looks like an old moonshine truck... that is a repeal prohibition pin up there and that’s a pair of “playboy” panties around the mirror, they were there when I got the truck lol and my wife’s garter. That’s a 48 star flag and actual 30’s 40’s Indiana road maps, the other map pocket holds some of the original tools that came with it.

spurgeonforge and loudbang like this.
  7. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Now there’s some do-dads lol

8. zzford

zzford

I have a buddy that had a worn "I LIKE IKE" bumper sticker on the back of his 32 pickup.

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not a Hot Rod but a Do-Dad just the same. Dingle Balls
    [​IMG]

10. If you want your car or truck to have the ambiance of a junk shop that's fine, but it doesn't say hi performance or racing at the lakes to me.

Hot rod = less is more, as sdroadster said.

-Brent-, woodz, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ain't he neat? Who is that actress anyway?

seb fontana likes this.
  13. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I agree less is more, I’m just simply asking what accessories were common in the 40’s 50’s.... jeweled dash light covers, license plate toppers.... no need to be negative
    Don’t worry you won’t find me at the lakes... I’ll be looking for treasures at the junk shops.

quick85, dan31, kadillackid and 5 others like this.
  14. Never2low

Never2low

Recently, there was a few posts about vintage cardboard Coke promotional bottle holders, that folded out, and hung from your window crank, or dash knob.
    I thought those looked kinda cool, and would be a neat era correct accessory drink holder.
    DSC05303.jpg
    Random image pulled from Google, credit to GrumpsGarage.

Roger Loupias, Dave Mc and loudbang like this.
  15. roundvalley

roundvalley

I still have a shrunken head someplace!

Roger Loupias likes this.
  16. 48ford

48ford

Baby shoes

Roger Loupias and loudbang like this.
  17. No one had a bottle opener on the dash until some rat rodder decided it looked cool,I do however like the map pocket.

I'm a firm believer in the less is more also.

The guys that drove customs usually had the fuzzy dice,shrunken heads or a lady's garter hanging from the rear view mirror.

To be honest,here in the Sunny South the hot rod guys I knew didn't go for anything that didn't make their car faster and any window decals were what came with the speed parts. HRP

catdad49, Jibs, LOU WELLS and 8 others like this.
  18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

mirror muffs

wojojo and X38 like this.
  19. Mackenzie Phillips
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Never2low

Never2low

Nope.
    M.P. road along with Milner.
    That's Falfa's girlfriend, at the beginning, when he's asking about where to find Milner.
    Her name is Debralee Scott.

21. Buy every piece of retro shit in the JC Whitney catalog.
    And a Cry Baby doll.

22. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

One of my anticipated favorite "less's" is a little dash fan for defrosting the window and blown' cool air on my sweetie.
    And one more in the less category ... no wires no switches. Vacuum operated. IMG_1155.JPG

23. Never2low

Never2low

Agreed! That's on my short list of things I could see myself including in my Coupe.

i.rant and wackdaddy like this.
  24. I saw the movie in 1973 and drove my Model A Pickup to the theater and that was the first & last time I saw the movie.

But you are correct,I had the names wrong,I have sometimers ,some times I remember and sometimes I forget.:rolleyes: HRP

[​IMG]

25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

blue stop light 002.JPG blue stop light 004.JPG scan0001.jpg PB160004 (1).JPG scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg I guess I have a few in my Roadster. The license light is an old dash light that has different colors of clear plastic in and a star pattern on the back. My Rabbit radiator filler,The dealer give away pocket knife with a working key in it. My magnifying shift knob, and the working Olds steering wheel clock on the dash. scan0001.jpg PB160004 (1).JPG scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg r.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Roger Loupias, catdad49 and 61cad like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never saw one on the dash, but seen a lot of old pickups out in the countrysides that had one on the side of the bed somewhere. Maybe a regional thing?

27. I’ve been looking for a shrunken head, like the ones I saw in the ‘60s. All I can find on the net right now are real ones. That’s not what I want!

28. Look for rubber shrunken head,they are cheap. HRP