Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who remembers the car club plaques from the 50s...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

More recent than the fiftys. The SDRC plaque in bronze was not common. Given to me by Pete Dean when I was a member. DSCN0087.JPG DSCN0088.JPG

2. level2526

level2526

dana barlow likes this.
  3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I've been going to swap meets since 1970. I've never once seen a club or generic plaque for sale. A few
    years back my wife & I were at Chicago's Maxwell Street flea market when she asked me to look at
    something. It was the generic plate pictured below. The fellow wanted $8.00 but accepted $7.00.
    I suppose this will be the last one I'll own.

Z IMG_6913.JPG

4. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

5. old man hal

old man hal

The Laymen Car Club was started in the fifties in Wilmington, CA. The club died when those guys got married and moved on. In the early sixties we wanted to start the club up again and ask those guys for their plaques and jackets. Most of them agreed and we started the second generation. At that time I had a 57 chevy, now it’s on my 36, just because!! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

A friend of mine makes these, he sand casts them at the shop they come out really good. He's reproduced alot of old clubs' plates from the east coast

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Can you tell if that red (orange?) paint is the "glow in the dark" paint they were putting on some of the stock plaques back in the 50's.

dana barlow and quick85 like this.
  8. tofords

tofords

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

It's not "glow in the dark", just a basic orange/red. I just went to check it out and there is no
    foundry name on the back, just 643 embossed on it.

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

A lot older than the 50s.

[​IMG]

prewarcars4me and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. Clik

Clik

My memories are similar to yours Beaner. I was born in '54 and started paying attention to cars when I was a toddler. I was in Maryland right smack on the DC line and our area was a hot bed for car and motorcycle action. We had the biggest Drive-in movie in the world and within a few blocks were car clubs, world renowned rod shops, drag bike shops, 1% clubs, etc. There were many different car cultures that intertwined. Custom guys ran what we called Drag Plates and half the hot rod knuckleheads of the era wouldn't have been able to spell "plaque"anyway. Any word with a "Q" in it was an affront to their masculinity. They weren't always a cast deal. Sometimes they attached their license plate to a thick steel plate suspended by chains. It was set just high enough to fly at speed but drag over the multitude of speed bumps that establishments installed to deter burnouts and cruising. Dragging a plate over a speed bump was like flipping the bird to the establishment. Cops started cracking down and a plate wasn't allowed to drag or even swing. Some guys welded the chains to keep the look and mess with the cops. I remember some of the country boys, that we'd call rock-a-billies today, having colored truck clearance lights mounted to their drag plates.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

In Kentucky Good Ole Boys have Truck Nuts.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a guy that used to go to the Lodi and Turlock meets, had a '50 Merc with a 'drag plaque'. (plaque suspended with 3/16" chains) The plaque was ground off at least 1.5" off the bottom... 'showed class'.
    The saying around Santa Clara/San Jose was: "He's dragging a plaque" ...meaning "he's displaying a plaque," or "he's in a club." It wasn't meant 'literal'. But it sounds like it swayed that way...
    It was said no matter where the plaque was mounted: rear window (where most ended up to prevent theft; I recall a member of the "Wheelin' Saints" telling me the club prez had to order another whole set for guys that had 'em 'lifted'!)
    A few had 'em opposite the side of the license plate, left side license right side plaque. Balanced.
    If you 'let it swing', it had to be centered. (there were RULES!)

15. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

Here's some from St Louis Mo. IMG_0181.JPG

SquirrelTail and LOST ANGEL like this.
  16. In my conversations with Jim he expressed interest in having 3 plaques recast and I offered to contact O'brien's and have him make Jim 3 for his fellow club members and one for myself.

I just received the new plaques from Dennis O'Brien and they turned out nice. HRP

T-2.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2018