Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another scam?? from someone called ''hotrodnomader''

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inthweedz, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustymetal

rustymetal

got a email from that asshole too yesterday

2. town sedan

town sedan

I love this place! Bring up the HAMB to see what's up and I'm told in a thread that I should check my email for a scam.

I've been spending a lot of time browsing the adds here over the last few months and found several of the "offenders" for sale posts to be interesting. Seems legitimate to me, but haven't had any business with him yet.

Don't know if the way he spread the word was correct and Ryan will handle that, if there was a problem.
    But until anyone can say "he scammed me!" let's not lynch the guy. Okay?
    -Dave

3. alchemy

alchemy

I'm a flathead guy and he didn't PM me. I feel left out.

lothiandon1940 and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I got it too, in a PM, yesterday, but I did post recently about flathead heads so it didn't seem that odd to me.

I know I have PM'd people about parts that I either had available or was looking for when I noticed them mentioned in threads so it didn't throw me off that much but now I question it since it seems like a ton of other people got the same message, and randomly.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Not a "scam", but clearly a "SPAM."
    It's an uncalled for use of the HAMB PM/email intent.
    I get enough spam in my personal and work email in box. I frequent and enjoy the HAMB to get away from the daily grind. I scan the classified 'parts' ads all the time. I don't need any help.
    I got the PM:
    Hey I was reading a flathead post you responded too. I am a Offenhauser dealer. I'm overstocked on flathead heads at the moment. By chance are you looking for heads ? I'd give you a really good deal.

I don't know what thread he's speaking to and I don't even own a flathead. It would be one thing to reply to someone off the thread (individually) via PM if they were asking for parts in a thread, but not mass marketing.

I don't think he was hacked. He apparently is an Offy dealer because his last month's worth of posts are classified ads for new Offy parts. As a long time Alliance member, he should know better.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    dan31, lothiandon1940 and WiredSpider like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I got the same message also.
    Just replied that I wasn’t interested.

7. I think I bought stuff from him before a year or so ago. I don't think its a scam unless he has been hacked but it sure is aggressive salesmanship.

8. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

9. I received the PM also and honestly believe he was hacked,had he sent the conversation he has the ability to send it in mass with all of us listed conversation participants instead of you & hotrodnomader.

Lets give our fellow member the benefit of a doubt until we hear from him. HRP

6inarow likes this.
  10. Offy Stuff! Scam.

11. No PM here yet from this guy, but I am just small potatoes .:rolleyes:;)

12. Always thought he was a stand-up HAMBer...I've seen and read his posts all over the HAMB. Hope he steps up and answers our questions...I'll listen to him!

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got it too. Too bad hotrodnomader isn't overstocked on Nomads cause I'd like one of those at a good price.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I got a pm from him also. I pmed him that I just did not need heads at this time, but had a buddy that might. He messaged me back with prices on multiple sets or a single set. I think he is OK ! Gary

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Either way, his inbox is going to be full.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

X47, never even touched a flathead in my life, ok, maybe a french block.
    I checked his profile too, saw nothing but classified ads, alliance member or not in my view if you're only here to hawk your goods and not participate your not a true HAMB member.
    Must not be doing too well either if he has to resort to whoring out the HAMB's PM system.
    I actually felt invaded, not good judgement in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Got the PM and looked him up, long time member and Alliance Member. Already bought a set of heads but told him I was looking for other flathead parts. Will see what happens but didn't see it as a scam after looking him up.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

i guess i am special, he sent me two mails. i told him no i dont need any heads, and asked where are you in nodak as i drive thru there occasionally, and got no responce back

19. Add another one to the list. I am betting this kind of thing will become more frequent. Collecting advertising metadata has gone beyond purchase/search history and facebook/social media, and embedded into forums like this. Hopefully there are filters on the server to deter this.

20. I got the same PM. I've bought from him in the past with no problems.
    From the wording, it sounded like a phishing scam by some Ethiopian to me.

6inarow likes this.
  21. I got it as well. Definitely reads as a scam at first glance and it is definitely SPAM which I don't think is going to go over very well with @Ryan

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuckin' AWESOME reply!

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I sold a 1K item to him not to long ago (flathead part) and actually talked to him and is son at length. Had a warm fuzzy feeling afterwards & transaction went very smooth. Hate to think it wasn't a hack..................

24. I received the same, but have no need for heads at the moment. I have bought from him in the past and there was no problem. parts supplied as described, shipped promptly. Would deal with him again if he posted something I need, but as usual, caveat emptor.

25. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader

Okay guys, I know there are scams out there, and I guess now that I think of it, I can see where you would be suspicious. But I'm legit, I'm not a Scam. I am a Offenhauser dealer. My account has not been hacked, I sent every one of those PM's. Many of you have bought things from me in the past, I haven't taken advantage of anybody. I've been a member for a long time.

To be honest I sent a whole bunch of PM's. If you have a build thread and I thought maybe you might wanna run a flathead, I sent you a PM. There are several posts on here regarding flatheads, one about a crack in a block, another on jetting. In my opinion anybody replying to those posts is a flathead guy, so I sent everybody who replied a PM. There is a post about lets see your flathead coupes, I pm'ed everybody on there as well. Basically if the post was flathead related I PM'ed everybody I thought might be interested.

But I am legit. Its a legit offer. I am not a Scam. I already messaged Ryan saying the same thing.

So truly, if anybody out there wants a deal on Offenhauser flathead heads, let me know.

26. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Check your pm box ,I sent you one regarding youre offer. I know you are legit

27. Spam,not a scam. HRP

28. Fourdy

Fourdy

Hmmmm - I asked for years, #'s, price. No response.

Fourdy

29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Guys from North Dakota have a lot of time on their hands right now with all the freakin blizzards and snow.

Hotridnomader is a Alliance Member...
    Been on here a while.

If his account has been hacked - maybe Ryan can check the ISP location.

I PM’d hotrodnomader to let him know you guys were a tad upset on the spam and suggested he put a few parts ads with a few specials- with a note that he has many more specials and to contact him.

Understandable guys are hyper aware of scam these days.

Hopefully all is cool.

Note - North Dakota - baby boom in 9 months .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.