Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects poor man's three window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bgaro, Mar 2, 2018.

1. bgaro

bgaro

got the axle underneath it to take a look. unnamed-7.jpg

2. bgaro

bgaro

cut out a c notch. im interested in keeping this ride height, soooo going with a model A frame instead of the '32 i had originally planned. having more headroom than expected this gets me lower and eliminates the confusion in my head about the roll cage. unnamed-10.jpg

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Looking great! Love the wheel tire combo.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

So, you're sitting under the car then? are you going to make a dished floor pan or bellypan the body and suspend some kind of seat on the subframe?

loudbang likes this.
  5. adam401

adam401

Rear 3/4 view is fuckin tough as nails.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Your butt is six inches below the cross member :D

Car looks bad ass!!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are you going to have a finned aluminum cover on your rear end? o_O

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looks Rad Bud. Fuck the nay sayers!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. bgaro

bgaro

yes, but my head is only half way up the rear window. squash er down!

Stogy, TFoch, patmanta and 1 other person like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Seeing that rear axle sitting in there reminded me of the odd angled center section in a Packard from the 1930's. Bob [​IMG]

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

From that picture above, you sitting in the car it looks like the driveshaft will go through a lumbar vertebrae.

chaddilac, loudbang and chop job like this.
  13. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

That will look right at home on the salt Great job !

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Dry Lakes paved with years of revered Hotrod speed assaults are awaiting a new visitor...;)

Thinking of those Dry lakes Hotrods and as eluded Hotrods in general comfort was not really a major consideration as evidenced in the Tanks, Rear Engined Roadsters, Set back engined Coupes. It was probably a ritual to get seated and strapped in for the run similar to aircraft to use as a comparison. Heck its really not for everyone. I bet your looking forward to that entire experience. I look forward to seeing this unfold with similar eagerness to seeing the old picture's that keep showing up at this great place.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too...lovin' the look. Archaic! Kind of straaaaaaaange! LOL! But definitely badass.
    My personal opinion. Lotta guys are setting hot rods way too low. I like your rear stance in the first pic. That car needs to look husky like it's ready to pounce, not like it's gonna scrape the crown off a gravel road.
    Don't take me too seriously. I don't...lol.

F-ONE, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the other hand...
    If you're gonna run 'er on the dry lakes, then I recant. Lower away.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

BITCHIN LOOK_____ NOT SO MUCH ON LOGISTICS_____ In my humble opinion. Bill

18. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

Looking forward to see what direction you take as the build goes. Work faster please

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad and chop job like this.
  19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a curiosity question about your interior ergonomics photo. Where were your feet in relation to the firewall and transmission tunnel? I ask this as I am building 2 model T roadsters and it is easy to sit in them until you put pesky things like steering wheel/column and pedals in the way.

brEad and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cramped.jpg
    Ppl are forgetting that race cars aren't built for comfort...Bad ass. Keep it going!

21. bgaro

bgaro

In the photo my toes were on the fire wall. Itll be tight in the pedal area. In my favor, the nose will be longer, so im hoping to get the bellhousing (cast chev) a bit forward.

patmanta, loudbang and justabeater37 like this.
  22. Looking great Bud !

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

11 outa 10 so far Kiddo!
    I love builds from the "pile".

Attached Files:

BJR and patmanta like this.
  24. Perhaps cowl steering would free up some room???

25. SR100

SR100

But this car ^^^ wouldn't be legal to race anywhere now, his helmet is above the rollbar.
    [​IMG]
    It is tough to tell from this angle, but it looks like it will be tough to squeeze his helmet under a rollcage once a seat is installed (assuming the seat is @ crossmember height). Check with the sanctioning body(ies) where you want to race to see what they require before you get too far into it.

dwollam and Stogy like this.
  26. That would drive a pinion angle tread completely bat shit crazy :)

49ratfink, hendelec, F-ONE and 5 others like this.
  27. bgaro

bgaro

is this how they do it in southern california unnamed-13.jpg ? 30" of snow sucks, but i got to stay home yesterday.

28. bgaro

bgaro

got things mostly worked out in the wheel well area. changing the radius on the lower rear of the door for better flow. roughed out anyway, and i do mean rough. unnamed-11.jpg

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I am really liking this build but have to agree with some of the posts above concerning racing rules. My friend and I shelved a Bonneville project when we found that our engine wouldn't fit in any vintage class where rules are more friendly. The regular class for it had a record near 300 mph where tires alone would have been several thousand dollars. That with fire suppression systems, fire suit, etc left our 413" Dodge flathead six sitting in the corner of a shed. If you ever plan to run at Bonneville you need to get a rule book soon. They regulate everything from door latches to lug nuts. You'll have to have an approved flywheel and I'm pretty sure you can not run a cast bell housing. At least you'd have to have a steel scatter shield. The rules are always changing. It is far easier to build into the car now than in the campground at the "Bend in the Road". Think of building a car that will pass tech that could host different engines so you could play in more classes. The 283 will put you in a very competitive place where other peoples success will cost you a lot of money just to run. I hope to see this there. It will look right at home on the salt as all real hot rods do. :cool:

brEad, kiwijeff, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Six Ball, have made some valid points, especially if one hopes for a record or a red hat. But, for some fun and speed, take a look at USFRA and the 110 and 130 (if I remember right on the speeds) Clubs. Simple safety requirement, you get so many attempts at the speed and if you reach it, racing is over. This is really good to find out if you would like to step up to the big dogs racing. And right now, there are a number of vehicles available to buy, some guys are getting out, some feel we will never race on the salt again. If I didn't already have a collection, I would be stepping up to one of them.
    And to some of your points,, bell housings, you can use iron but you need to make a late steel cover but I noticed he is running a 283 and scatter shields are all over Craigs, fire systems are actually dropping in price with some competitiveness from new companies, Flywheel, a steel one from Speedway is legal, Firesuits - in land speed they never time out meaning you can buy used, as long as it is not worn or torn. And sorry, Bend in the Road is great for spectators but, step-up spend the whole week, find a team that might need a crew member as many came a long distance (like New Zealand, Australia and Europe) and are short handed.
    Keep up the good work! You're making me think bad things (like a new body and class)

loudbang, Stogy and Blues4U like this.