Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bringing UP the REAR.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Got the seals, gaskets , additive and hand book for the rear from fabcraft. also sprung for new racing lug nuts. I should have the center on monday. I installed a drain plug kit in the housing and made new brake lines. Getting closer now. The car should be ready for april.:D WIN_20180308_17_39_14_Pro.jpg

2. loudbang

loudbang

A little tune up on the photo :)

WIN_20180308_17_39_14_Pro.jpg

3. Mikey, Loose power from the storm yesterday? (No lights) :)

4. No, just in a rush and took a crappy dark pic,LOL.:eek::)

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Clean the housing real good and then get some oil all the way around inside the axle tubes so there is no chance of rust starting.

6. Yep, already done -prepped. You could eat off the inside, before the light coat of oil.;)

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It's the extra care that makes the difference. :cool:

8. Just got the complete carrier, it came in a very nice custom built wood box. I will post some pics tomorrow . The axles should ship today or tomorrow. The chunk is great with build blueprint sheet, all specs, clearances , etc. Fabcraft pays great attention to every detail.:)

9. Here is the new blueprinted chunk. Axles will be here by the end of week. Installation party this weekend.:D WIN_20180313_17_47_26_Pro.jpg WIN_20180313_17_48_22_Pro.jpg WIN_20180313_17_49_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20180313_17_51_05_Pro.jpg

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wish we lived closer. I would bring the beer. :D

11. Ha, thanks salt. I would supply the beer, and I will be . My helper makes it mandatory .:eek:;):)

loner2, HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had one of those three rib Olds/Pontiac third members in my 65 Malibu.

13. The chunk I took out, now my spare is a two rib.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of the three finger third member set up with 4.88 for the new car or a spare if something happens to the one in the car.
    The problem I ran into was my axles have the 45 degree pressure angle so the Fabcraft stuff wouldn't work for me unless I replaced everything.

15. Do you mean the angle at the end of the splines?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The angle of the splines them self.
    The Fabcraft stuff has a 35 degree pressure angle on the axles and spool as well as there posi's.

17. Got it. Yea that makes sense to me now. Dave at fabcraft mentioned that in one of our conversations. He just said angle not pressure angle, thats why I asked. Thanks.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got a real good education on them trying to save the 35 spline Summer Brother axles I had to work with.

19. The chunk and axles are installed. Everything fit perfect. Next is the drive shaft and brake system. I will post pics later. This rear is now up to a much higher level.;):)

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mikey
    Make sure to include a straight on rear view of that housing, those are about the sexiest rears ever stamped in steel.

21. Yea, will do DDD.:)

loner2, HOTRODPRIMER and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. Pics. All installed including brake shoes , new brake lines, bleed. Drive shaft going on and safety loop in a moment. All ahead of the time frame I had in mind. Come on SPRING!:) WIN_20180318_12_52_33_Pro.jpg WIN_20180318_12_53_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20180318_12_53_50_Pro.jpg

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Clearing throat! Something is missing:mad:
    By the way Mikey, I've studied those photos and still can't figure out why there are two rearends in there. Mirror?

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ladder Bar - Wheelie Bar?
    Oh Wait!
    [​IMG]

25. Reflection in polished stainless steel floor.:D

26. Mmmmm! Rear strong like bull!!:cool: Me likey, Mikey! Gonna send you a PM. Check your "Conversations" folder later.

HOTRODPRIMER, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  27. Mmmmm! Rear strong like bull!! Me likey, Mikey.:cool: Gonna send you a PM, so check your "Conversations" file later.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now if your stuck for a place to have breakfast the bottom of the Hotrod may do...;)

Good eye Denny...Clean machine Mikey