Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Screw It Im gonna go for it! 36 Ford coupe to be

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowcoe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I really like what you have done. You are a brave guy to have even started this. If I had tried it it would be just another disassembled pile of junk in the yard. There are several.:(

2. Sigh. Another year has gone by. Dunno why the holidays are when I reflect on this project but it always seems like the time when I measure progress. Yet I have been making progress in other areas such as making easy passage in and out of the shop. I guess that's something. Happy Thanksgiving all!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448579235.796302.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

It will come again. I really thought i would never touch mine again, now im on fire

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Just read your whole thread. Keep at it!!

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Have been looking forward to updates. Nice work so far!

6. I have a side project going on so it might be a while before I post on this. It's a problem that most of us sickos run into. I still love to look at it every day.

7. What's that nibbler machine getting done for you ?

8. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

More COE pics somewhere?

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Thanks, I'll check it out.

10. To make matters worse ( or just more interesting) my friend who was helping me get my first ride, a 1954 ford f100 , back on the road got bogged down by life so I brought the ol girl home. So that's going to the front of the line. Then the COE, then I should be experienced enough to do right by the 36...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. At least it's gonna be a Ford in ford.. Not super HAMB friendly. Maybe there's a closet in the Social Forums where it can find a home. [​IMG]

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is something I'd do, good luck with all of them. Bob

13. Got the truck 80% wired. Cab is in primer . Hope to fire it up when my brother comes down from Washington in a month. Then shakedown cruise in primer. Then full paint and on to the COE. THEN back to the 36. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. Engine fired up real nice. Working on doors. Steering column mounted. Shift mechanism roughed out. Bed in primer. Next on list brake lines and master cylinder / brake pedal mount plus steering shaft hookup. Shooting for maiden voyage in primer before the end of the year. [​IMG]

15. Still sanding and priming theF100 but a thread by 39customs made me keep an eye out for a sedan top. Found one listed by cduece32 and brought it home. Still thinking if I like the look over a more traditional 36 profile but if nothing else it fills the insert hole nicely....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Dog_Patch like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Glad to see this again. There is a lot of inspiration in those pictures.

17. Here’s about the 5th mock up. Kids approve 40 ish roof with 36 body line.

Some assembly required.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. [​IMG]looking at the drivers side b-pillar. I thought this was appropriate.

Outback, lowcoe and The37Kid like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That '40 roof will work, looks good. Maybe it is the photo, but it looks like the rear quarter is high in the back if you follow the belt line. The '40 style trunk lid really looks nice, good project. Bob

chryslerfan55 and lowcoe like this.
  20. Spent the evening agonizing over which way to go. Have always dreamed of a 36 clone but the 40 roof just drops in there so much better. I trimmed the roof down a bit more and tack welded the 36 rear bead back on. I have to remember where I was at and all the little jobs that I have to finish before I weld the roof on. Plus I still have to finish the bodywork on the F-100. First world problems.....dang

Outback likes this.
  21. Just for shits and giggles, try sliding the 40 roof back to make the sail panel bigger, cat walk smaller. Maybe the photoshop guys can help.

And is this camera angle ??
    Or does the body line dip?

image.png

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. I think it’s just the photo but I’ll sight that line. I tried sliding the top back but it didn’t look right. If you look at the pics on the previous page the roof meets the catwalk right where the rear fender starts and it just looks right. The difference with my version is there’s no roof chop. If you remember from 5 years ago I lncreased the overall length of the car like 9 inches in the hope it would make it look chopped without chopping. [​IMG]

Here’s a pic with it slid back.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Which cars would that be?
    image.png

The chopped cars ,
    image.jpeg
    image.png

A chop is about changing the proportions. And there's a bunch of them.
    One proportion that changes is the sail panel to window. Before the chop, there's a great big window and the sail panel. After the chop there's less window and a bigger sail panel.
    The ratio changes. Pre chop let's say the window to sail panel ratio is ( keep it simple) 3:1 and post chop it's 2:1. The sail panel looks bigger post chop.

So put the " no chop" logic on the project and the sail panel needs to get bigger in order to look bigger in order to make the window look smaller when using a 40 sedan roof. :)
    All the coupe shots have a bit more vertical poof back there, the slope on the sedan roof thins things out quite a bit.
    image.png

24. Hmm... I think you nailed it. More vertical poof... I have an idea....

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I remember a lot of talk about the door window shape that you came up with. I think the rear window line and the back of the top need to be close so the flow continues to the rear of the car. I think the '40 top can do this. Just my thoughts.