Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59 AMC 327 to 200 4R

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brehm, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

I have a 59 AMC Cross Country wagon with original 327. Looking to install Chevy 200 4R trans. Not been able to locate a transmission adapter for that application. Any leads or ideas??????

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you considered rebuilding the original trans? They used a Borg Warner that was used in many different cars, parts are still available. The AMC guys should be able to help.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For anything weird like this, the first place to try is Bengston's. I have no idea if they have one, but they can put a Seagrave V12 against a GM automatic, so anything's possible,

czuch likes this.
  4. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Thank you for the reply, trying to incorporate overdrive into the build. Current original trans is 3 speed.

5. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Thanks for replying, tried googling Bengston's didn't see any contact info.

6. RAK

RAK

It's Bendtsen's (I think), www.transmissionadapters.com . Just looked and they don't list one for AMC but will custom make one so I guess if you just have to have one......dig deep

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Yes, I did contact them and a guy would need some deep pockets to have one made.

8. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Appreciate the help.

9. Farna on this forum would know if anyone does. Also might contact Advance Adapters or Novak just to see what they tell you.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For some makes/models of engine and transmissions the engineering and machining required is substantial. For other combinations the adapter is fairly simple. I have no idea where your AMC engine block falls in that spectrum. However, it might well be worth investigating making your own. If you are uncertain of your ability to evaluate that
    possibility, you might find a machinist who would be interested in participating for a reasonable fee. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    camer2 likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

If I remember correctly, early '60's Jeep Wagoneers with the AMC 327 used a Buick nailhead TH400 with an adapter plate. If you can locate this adapter and an old Buick TH400, you can probably use a gearvendors overdrive if you have enough money.

12. rnscustom

rnscustom

Try asking at theamcforum.com great group of guys ,

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

BOP is not Chevy pattern. Wheres an adapter for GM to GM.
    [​IMG]

14. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. nickleone

nickleone

16. rnscustom

rnscustom

Could be wrong but the 4 cane in the grand nationals , just a different valve body ??

17. rnscustom

rnscustom

Multi bolt pattern too , which would only help if there is an adapter existing for one of the gm's

18. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

May want to try a BOP 200R4

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  19. Ron Brehm

Ron Brehm

Wow, great website. thank you all for your feedback.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are no separate Chevy or BOP 2004R bolt patterns. All 2004R automatics are multi-pattern cases and fit Chev/BOP engine blocks.

Turbo-Hydramatic 350 and 400 have distinct bolt patterns for their original application (Chevy or BOP) except for a few later production TH-350C models which were multi-pattern cases. 700R4 cases are Chevrolet pattern or GM 60* V6 and 4 cylinder pattern.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    belair likes this.
  21. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

The more you (or at least I) know

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't understand your comment.......was my post offensive in some way?

Ray

23. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Nope, it's me commenting on the fact that I learned something new. I thought they had different bellhousings on that transmission

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Phew! :)....Thanks for the reply...

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Regarding my previous comment, I was referring to the round bellhousing used on the old Buick nailheads, not the BOP or Chev patterns. Also, do you realize that old Ramblers used torque tubes up to 1966 which opens up a new can of worms?

26. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

While the multi pattern is much more common, the 2004r was produced with a bop onlt and a chevy only bell also.
    [​IMG]
    Multi pattern

[​IMG]
    Chevy pattern

[​IMG]
    BOP Pattern

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You may be correct, but I have serous doubts about that regarding specifically the TH2004R. The TH200/250 has Chev only and BOP only cases, I had a TH200 with BOP a few years ago. But I do not believe that applies to TH2004R. Every bit of information I have ever seen over the years in that regard has affirmed multi-fit case on all 2004R. I currently have four 2004R trannies and had another one awhile back and have never seen a Chev only case (nor BOP only) even though at least three of the 2004R's I have, and had, came from Chevy powered vehicles (Camaro and Monte Carlo).

But, with verifiable facts I am open to standing corrected. I don't like being infected with misinformation. Can you post a reliable reference and application of years and models that have either/or but not both patterns?

Ray

29. farna

farna

The Gen1 AMC V-8 (1956-66 250/287/327... often called Nash or Rambler V-8) has a different bell pattern than the later models.. bell is unique to that motor. Some guy in Canada, I think, had made an adapter a few years ago, but no one has been able to contact him since. It's get a custom adapter made, I'm afraid.

You do have a couple other options:
    1) Get a factory three speed with overdrive. Rather common in the late 50s to mid 60s, shouldn't be too hard to find. AMC change the torque-tube mount starting in 1962, so you will need a 58-61 model.
    2) Gear Vendors used to make a divorced OD unit that could be mounted in anything. you may have to call them about that. It would require some driveshaft tunnel work and fabbing a crossmember to support it. Gear Vendors units aren't cheap either -- expect around $2700-3700 depending on model. Can probably have an adapter made by a competent machine shop for that price... which in the long run would be cheaper.

30. farna

farna

Speaking of overdrives... there is more than one way to skin a cat!
    Try installing a three speed manual trans as an auxilliary/divorced unit behind your existing trans. It needs to be a mid 60s or newer fully synchronized unit, and you will need to use the clutch or at least let off the gas to shift (if an auto trans). No, it won't give you a higher gear as an OD unit will do. What you do is change the rear axle ratio to a much higher (smaller number, like a 2.56 or something) gear, then use the second trans in a lower gear to get good take-off. I suspect you'd never use first gear in the second trans, just second and third. I haven't done the gear math, but it should work, at least in theory...