Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Noel Black and the Motion 1 LSR streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks, Flats. The next few weeks will tell if this is a magazine story or a book, or what it is...

2. rick finch

rick finch

You were asking about Craig Breedlove on an earlier post? He lives (or did recently) in Rio Vista Ca. its a Sacramento River delta community.

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

4. dhfw80d

dhfw80d

Posted some thing this evening. #16164

5. storm king

storm king

There's a guy who's been posting some info on him and the car under "drag cars in Motion" thread. I think he knew the fellow.

6. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

monty wolf is, indeed, greg gillette! :)

he, however, is not monte wolfe.

long ago acknowledging monte for having the coolest name ever, greg adopted the name monty wolf when he became a disk jockey and later a news anchor/writer/reporter. :cool:

i just acquired some pictures of motion from alex tremulis's private collection.

alex taped lengths of yarn to the right side of motion 1 in 1970 for a photographer to document the results at speed so alex could interpret said results.

the photographer positioned himself dutifully on the left side of the course.

alex at work and the results (?) are seen herein.

we are trying to collect pics and film of motion 1 in an effort of documenting bert and noel's endeavor to set the land speed record.

if you have any to share, please, let me know.

thank you,
    greg/monty/dr. of rockology

Attached Files:

7. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

a few more pics

Attached Files:

8. 40StdCoupe

40StdCoupe

I was buying parts for my 1940 ford coupe at B&N Automotive in 1963-64. I knew Burt and Noel. I remember (in 1963?) the 32 high boy setting in there shop and Noel telling me they had set a record with it at Bonneville.. I was always dropping by to order parts for my car and gave Burt my paycheck (Air force) and got 5-10 dollars back to live on until the next pay day. This went on for a year and a half until I was ready to build my engine and install it in my coupe. At that time Noel invited me to come into there shop before work hours (5:00 am) to work on my car while he was building the 27 modified.
    This was Noels work pattern. If he wasn’t building a car for Bonneville he worked 7:00 to (6:00pm?) Monday thru Saturday. Sunday he ran there dragster (Blown Chrysler Hemi). This is where I first knew about B&N Automotive, I saw them run at (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Lodi</st1:City></st1:place>?) drag strip (184? Mph in 62-63?). A few months before Bonneville Noel would start coming into work early to build the car, he would also stay late until (??p.m.). If Sundays were free (no drags) he worked on the Bonneville car. Otherwise he ran the dragster on Sunday. This was Noel, 12 hour days 7 days a week for months. Burt was the counter man and apparently the mathematician. He (Burt) told me he calculated the RPM needed to set a record for the High boy roadster and told Noel what was needed. After Noel ran the car he said “sorry Burt I couldn’t get to that RPM”, Burt then told him he had added an additional 400 RPM (to what was really required) and that he had just broke the record.

9. 40StdCoupe

40StdCoupe

I was buying parts for my 1940 ford coupe at B&N Automotive in 1963-64. I knew Burt and Noel. I remember (in 1963?) the 32 high boy setting in there shop and Noel telling me they had set a record with it at Bonneville.. I was always dropping by to order parts for my car and gave Burt my paycheck (Air force) and got 5-10 dollars back to live on until the next pay day. This went on for a year and a half until I was ready to build my engine and install it in my coupe. At that time Noel invited me to come into there shop before work hours (5:00 am) to work on my car while he was building the 27 modified.
    This was Noels work pattern. If he wasn’t building a car for Bonneville he worked 7:00 to (6:00pm?) Monday thru Saturday. Sunday he ran there dragster (Blown Chrysler Hemi). This is where I first knew about B&N Automotive, I saw them run at (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Lodi</st1:City></st1:place>?) drag strip (184? Mph in 62-63?). A few months before Bonneville Noel would start coming into work early to build the car, he would also stay late until (??p.m.). If Sundays were free (no drags) he worked on the Bonneville car. Otherwise he ran the dragster on Sunday. This was Noel, 12 hour days 7 days a week for months. Burt was the counter man and apparently the mathematician. He (Burt) told me he calculated the RPM needed to set a record for the High boy roadster and told Noel what was needed. After Noel ran the car he said “sorry Burt I couldn’t get to that RPM”, Burt then told him he had added an additional 400 RPM (to what was really required) and that he had just broke the record.

10. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

bert was more than a counterman and mathematician. he was the engine man of b&n, not that noel was not adept at building engines.

the image i carry with bert to this day is of him leaning over the injectors, with a kent cigarette stuck tight between his teeth, blipping the throttle of motion I and later, duane cole's studebaker and the mr. steak firebird.

back in the day, there was no engine on the salt that sounded as bad as bert's!

11. Hey Scotty I have some old Magazine articles, dunno if you already have the HRMs and such from this time frame?

12. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

john sprenger (got salt lakester) would be willing to pay for anything available on motion I.

13. These are prob magazines he already has.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Did any book or documentary ever get completed?

15. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

Not yet

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  17. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

chryslerfan55 and Speed Gems like this.
  18. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

Landfill Louise is a self-appointed historian who knows what's she's been told, and very little else.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Check out this YouTube video I just found talking about B&N Automotive and the Motion 1 streamliner.

20. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

I sure hope not. If anybody can mistell a fact or story it's LSL! You'd be better off going here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MotionI/

21. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

I believe this was corrected years ago but here goes anyway:
    I am Gregory W. Gillette. I am also Monty Wolf (my stage and radio name), not to be confused with Monte Wolfe. I was on the Motion I crew in 1970. I gained entry into the 200 MPH Club in 1978 driving The Redhead Streamliner. My name/s has/have been a source of confusion for years. I always thought Monte had the coolest name I'd ever heard and told him so when I first met him in 1969. I also told him, if I ever got into radio, I'd use his name. It may not have given me any wealth, but it did give me a wealth of experiences, which continues to this day on www.mixcloud.com/deepcutsinthewolfden