Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Took care of the paper work today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 5, 2018.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes things have changed with the DMV in Missouri. Many years ago the main license place in downtown KC was in the state building. It sort of looked like an old bank with about 8 or 10 windows and, of course, the line at each.

So when getting in the office you picked a line that you thought would move the fastest. Yeah, right. The really ugly thing was that as you moved closer to the window the line slowed down. And when you had the really bad luck to be "next" , the clerk would slam the window down and go to lunch or break or home or wherever she went.

What to do? Go pick the line that looked like it would move the fastest and fall in.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was in and out in less then 15 minutes getting the title in my name for the car I got for free,I will get the tags for it when I get ready to start driving it in the fall.

3. Ahhhh, the joys of living in a small East Tennessee town, that is also the county seat.
    I've had to wait on at LEAST one or two people, every time I go! It's hell, I tell you!

But I paid my dues living in Memphrica for 25 years. Arrogant, smartass, don't give or know shit, county employees, none of whom could give a f**k about anything other than quittin' time.

4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Try getting a title for a car that doesn't have any paper work.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. chargin03

chargin03

Took me 3hours waiting for my 1930 A.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. spanners

spanners

Over here we don't have to worry about 'titles' yet. Most times you do need a weighbridge ticket. I don't mind doing it as it gives a good indication of how much if does weigh when completed.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kansas is pretty easy. You can get in line "online" and then you get text messages telling you approximately how long your wait will be, and they are updated often. Need more time when you get the text message that says "10 minutes"? Reply with "M" and they push you back in the line a bit. I can run other errands, or sit in the parking lot and drink beer until it's my turn.

8. Well, I'm happy for you, Danny. See the car over to your left? My avatar? Welp, after putting over 120 miles on it, towing it to 2 different counties for title inspection, writing letters to non existent ex-owners for new Ohio title after finding my title was no good for signing in the wrong box, then finding Ohio is a notary state and it was notarized in the wrong place, etc etc etc etc....I FINALLY was able to get a genuine, original 1934 ford coupe [not sedan like on the old title] title in my name....cost? 10 bucks but took over 3 weeks of screwing around. Man! I HATE trying to get an old car title in Nebraska.

9. Now that's determination and the reason why I won't buy a car without a title anymore,I don't need the stress.:confused::rolleyes: HRP

3W JOHN, bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Because you can't go somewhere else so you don't have to wait in line to get it done!

11. Is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. Ain't right as in mental. :D HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  13. deucemac

deucemac

Don't forget the late Secretary of State, Paul Powell. I remember when he died and they found shoe boxes full of checks made out to him, uncashed. ( back in those days you made a check out to him for DMV and several other department payments). The joke for a while after that was, who ever took over for Paul Powell had big Shoe Boxes to fill!

Gray Ford, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. cavman

cavman

Several years ago when I bought my 5 window I was dreading the trip to the DMV here in WI. I found out through a friend of my son's who is a county deputy, that the county Sheriff's dept can transfer titles if I didn't mind waiting a few weeks for a hard copy. No one but me and the two young clerks in the place, easy in easy out. Only question they had was why is the VIN number so short? (It was registered many years ago with the Chevy engine # as required by the state at the time if engines were changed) I told her that there were far fewer cars back then and maybe they didn't need 15 or 16 numbers back then. She said that it made sense to her. It took 3 weeks or so to get the hard copy sent to me.

15. Oh, it had a title! Just signed on the wrong place and notarized wrong. If it had no title, I'd still be trying to get one.

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

"Now that's determination and the reason why I won't buy a car without a title anymore, I don't need the stress.:confused::rolleyes: HRP"
    Amen brother! Here in California I've even gone so far as to take the untouched paperwork and go straight to AAA or the DMV with the seller so we can do everything the DMV asks right there in real time in front of the official DMV rep. It can become such a circle jerk over some of the simplest things. AND, you have to caution people not to talk too much, just answer the questions asked, don't volunteer any info or embellish.

17. I know.

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The DVM reminds me of the old Rev War era statement.....
    One tyrant 3000 miles away or...
    3000 tyrants one mile away

There was an article written some 75 years ago about a certain regime of whom we were engaged at the time and how they held power over thier citizenry.
    One way was over regulation. Confusing laws, contradictory laws and so much confusing red tape that everything even the most benign had to go through a local official. This confusing mass of regulations becomes it's own self feeding entity.
    Quite literally the person behind the desk becomes a little tyrant. I've seen them make up bogus regulation and ignore real law.

My 1963 Tuffy. A Tuffy is a fishing boat made in Mississippi in 1963. The serial number is 1203. That's it.
    I was getting a tag for it I had the bill of sale and the old registration.
    This fellow looks at my paper work and the old registration from the PO and says the serial number is wrong. I explain that that was indeed the serial number. The guy says now serial numbers have to have more numbers and a letter in there. I explain again that the boat was made in 1963 before any standardized number system. Don't matter the guy says.....

Long story short.....
    He ignored the real serial number and used the Number off the 1968 Evinrude (That can be taken off at will:rolleyes:)as the boat mumber because it had enough numbers.o_O

cavman, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Either pay a registration place to do it for you OR fill out a statement of facts paper stating that it's been off the road parked in a field.......and all you know is you got it from the daughter in law.....don't know about anyone else. Playing stupid helps a lot as well as being super nice.

I have to get a DOT physical every 2 years for my commercial license, my work wants us to take it into the DMV and get a receipt. Last time I went, got there at 9:30am finished at 4:00pm

I can bend, side step, work around some rules here but it's next to impossible without the proper frame numbers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    bchctybob, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. I think the title said 3480 pounds, everything I've read on the car was between 3360 and 3480 as far as specs go. They came up with 3580... of course in NY the higher weight mean more $$ for the registration.

21. We have many local DMVs but I will only use one. They make the process quick and painless, they’re always friendly, and once they actually called me to tell me THEY made a mistake! The only part I dread now about going there is paying the taxes.

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

The Anderson DMV is a nightmare every day of the week,I will drive to a different county to register a car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Love Okie title procedure. Walk in, the girls say "Hi Don, got another pretty car to register?" We walk out, verify vin#. Walk back in , I write a check for $85 and walk out with plate and registration. Title in mail 3 days later. Max 10 minutes

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Ain't left as in C%$#k & N*&%y! Actually I don't think the state of CT. cares what you register as long as they get your money.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. 31 steve

31 steve

Glad you had an easy DMV experience! I'm lucky here , I go to a small town 20 minutes away with a DMV office. No Lines, No wait, the gals in there are friendly and helpful and if I need an inspection because I have no title, the inspector comes to the house, helps get all the paperwork done and I get a tag. He's a car guy and likes to see old cars being saved. I hope he doesn't retire before I finish playing with hot rods! Let's go ride...........

26. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

When I went to register my avatar and had a year of issue plate wow what an experience. Paperwork was going well, filled out the yoi form etc and then the fun began. The clerk waiting on me had never done one. The Clerk at the next widow knew it could be done but didn't know how. Neither did any other clerk. Finally she took the forms and plate into the office. I could see they didn't seem to know much either. After much deliberation, she returned, photo copied the plate, took my check handed me a set of antique plates that I need to keep on the car and said I was all set. As I was about to pack up, she tells me to wait one more minute and gives me the photo copy of my yoi plate. I said thank you and got the heck out of there.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I re-registered both my 57 Mopars last week. Antique Vehicle reg always seems to be a pain, but this time it wasn't.

Boom bam, boom bam, ka-zeek (electric stapler sound) and she's done. Took the card reader longer to process my payment.