Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. That straight shift is probably mandatory inside that Minor (?)

2. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

You're moving far enough north you may need, dare I say it, insulation in your new shop. One bay and "healthy" beats the alternative! Get the move safely behind you and get "Morris" done!

loudbang, mad mikey and enloe like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I got an offer today from a friend who lives an hour away from our new place to use his shop to spray the car when I get ready. Good to have friends, of course I have to help him finish his Model a roadster.
    Sort of a trade.

4. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hi Mike
    I'am glad that things are working out for you, I have a '38 Plymouth coupe that I am making it into a street gasser and as close to the real deal as possible, I want to put coil springs in the rear, but never done this before, Is this a special order for the spring, weight the car that type of thing ? Or do you take a guess and have adjustable coil buckets and cut the spring a little ?
    Thanks for your time
    Mike

loudbang likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Figure your cars rear weight and buy the correct springs . Speedway and others have a chart.
    You can put adjustable buckets for ride height . I am using stock car buckets available from Speedway and Summit and others that sell stock car parts.
    It helps to have a set of scales to figure your percentages. Rear springs are cheap so you can take guess and go from there and they are also available in different lengths.
    I hope this helps. I am staring with 175 lb. springs.

catdad49, saltflats and mad mikey like this.
  6. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I am running a 250lb spring in the back of my Henry J. That would probably be better suited if your driving on the street as well. Install some jack bolts for ride height adjustments, it ll also stiffen the springs if need be. My car is 3000lbs, give or take a few.

loudbang likes this.
  7. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Nice score on the transmission Mike. If you get tired of the inline shifter let me know

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well,we got moved and got a great deal on a 10x20 storage building today. Waiting for it to be delivered so I can put my tools in there and get my car in the garage. It is now setting in the driveway under a tarp and it has been raining since yesterday.
    It was hard to drive past the Summit warehouse with a pocket full of money and no room to put a set of valve cover gaskets in the truck.
    So I guess since I just got the computer back it's time to burn up the web and get parts ordered.

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Welcome to God’s Country:)

loudbang likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good news!!!!
    Remember to take it easy. :)

mad mikey, enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I think I am developing an allergy to cardboard. Every time I pick up another box my back starts to hurt. I have been packing and unpacking for a week straight if my heart was going to give out it should have by now.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a care package from Jegs today. Got my intake manifold and my solid roller lifters and my oil pan.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

These came in today. My storage building got delivered today. My steering box and header kit got ordered from Speedway . My scattershield and flywheel are coming from Jegs.
    As soon as I get my tools moved around and my car in the garage it is thrash time. 20180305_192612.jpg

OahuEli, catdad49, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my new front wheels and tires mounted up today.
    New steering box and header kit came today. Going to have to put some blocks in the front end to raise it so it will be legal height with the weight of the motor, trans, bellhousing, radiator. The rear will have to go up a little to compensate for my weight and the battery and fuel cell. I don't have room for a cell up front unless I want a 1 gallon cell. 20180307_155850.jpg

15. Looks great. What a wicked little racer.:)

Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  16. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

Car looks great, Glad your health issues are coming around. But I have to say Athen's Tn is not coming North. Scroll your Google Map to 2 hours North of Fargo ND and you'll find Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Now we'll talk about needing a heated shop.

Good luck with the move
    Stay healthy

loudbang likes this.
  18. It's come a long way from when you first saw it and you were the right guy to build it! HRP

upload_2018-3-8_9-48-29.jpeg

OahuEli, catdad49, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. It keeps me motivated. I know all about living up north having grown up in the U.P. of Michigan. Tn. is far enough north for these old bones. It snowed a little here today and had a high of 36 degrees. After living in Fl. for the past 5 years it is plenty cold enough for me.
    Got the car in the garage today . Still adjusting to a one car garage after having a real shop for years.
    Will be a test to finish it in these cramped 1/4's.
    Thanks Danny. I hope to be ready this summer for some gear jamming gasser action.

catdad49 and enloe like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally an update worth posting. My heads came in from Promaxx. They are 210 cc runners , 100% cnc ported with 2.08- 1.60 valves. I will be starting with a Parker intake and a 750 Holley 20180329_122946.jpg until I get the bugs out then looking for a stack injection unit.
    Now I can clay up the pistons to make sure of valve to piston clearance and start to check for pushrod length

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have these old scrungy looking M/T valve covers. Do I paint them using black wrinkle paint?
    Anybody know when they started coming in black wrinkle ? Wrinkle paint has been around since the 20's so it is not a new process. Then sand the tops of the fins and letters .
    Finished my Holley today . Found enough parts in my carb core box to build a decent carb. 20180329_160744.jpg

catdad49, brEad and saltflats like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I did some small blocks by painting them black with white between the fins and sanded the top off.
    How big of a carburetor did you build if you don't mind me asking.

loudbang likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is a 3310 Holley . 750 cfm before I cut the choke horn off. I put a metering plate in the secondaries and a 50cc accel. pump with quick change springs . Basically like I ran on my big block 4 speed super stock Camaro except that one had the choke horn left on. A few other tricks that are priority I won't tell.

catdad49, AHotRod and saltflats like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Instead of the white use a color the goes with the outside.
    20180329_181807 (2).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I need to build two of the 750s but can't use the blocks on the rear or those float bowls.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Are you doing a tunnel ram setup ? Just use 1850 bowls with the 750 center. They sell metering plates just like changing jets.

saltflats likes this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Going on a tunnel wedge FE.
    I have seen the metering plates with the changeable jets.
    Been looking at the quick fuel brawler series. They have the down leg boosters and the changeable air bleeds.
    This is going in a NSS car.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

The original carbs for the Chrysler Hemi are still available and they are 770 cfm 0-4236 is the left hand carb number.

Hang'emHigh and saltflats like this.
  29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Are you going to Paradise Dragstrip tomorrow for the swap meet and racing?

loudbang likes this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

No, I am busy working on my motor. I will be at shadyside but only to watch and help out if Quain needs me to .

Hang'emHigh likes this.