Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Canadian chevy head id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuzzybear, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hey guys and girls. These heads came with a small block engine I bought yesterday and I can't definitively identify them. They have canada cast under the valve cover and have the staggered vc bolt pattern. Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CPH1607 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

1816887 – 1963 283, GMC HD truck

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. In the US ( don't know about Canada) the rocker covers would have had a sticker that said, high torque 283

Moretec has a lot of info on GM parts and numbers. Sometimes you have to dig around a bit to find what you want.

http://www.mortec.com/

4. squirrel

squirrel

What do the combustion chambers look like?

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Staggered vc bolt pattern would mean '55- mid'59 here in U.S.A anyway.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The single "hump", located where our U.S. heads would have a triangle or pyramid, is a Canadian Power Pack head.
    I'd like to have a pair of those heads to go with my Canadian "Pontiac" embossed valve covers I have in my stash of parts. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Thanks for the replys guys, I have attached a photo of the combustion chamber as requested and the valves look to be 1.75" inlet and 1.35" exhaust. [​IMG]

8. squirrel

squirrel

They are not high performance heads....what are you planning to do with them? knowing that, we could maybe give you some recommendations.

I thought the older small block valves were usually 1.72/1.50 sizes?

9. I don't really have any plan for them at the moment, just wanted to know what I have. Down the track when I rebuild the engine it will probably be fairly mild (more for look and sound than anything). My math may be slightly off with the valves I was converting from metric measurements.