Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 3-window coupe Barn Find in Central California...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bp1971, Mar 6, 2018.

1. IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2380.JPG IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2384.JPG

A piece of central California hot rod history has been saved. There is a really cool story that goes with this coupe and I will post more about it later.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Nice find! Do you know the source of the hood sides and tail lights?
    Please tell us the backstory.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looking forward to the ‘rest of the story ‘

brad2v likes this.
  4. MRTS33

MRTS33

Hood sides look like 34 Pontiac. Maybe!

5. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

What a great find how koooool.

6. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Yep, '34 Pontiac hood sides grafted to '33 hood sides.

7. evintho

evintho

Good God!!!!!!

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ah, Fresno. Morris and his brother Srabian, Blackie Geigian, and Chuckie Krikorian country.
    No surprise this cool '33 had history thereabouts. Great car stuff used to be predominate there, was it simply that generation?
    All but disappeared now...just 60 miles south. I anxiously await this story.

10. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like '34 hood and grille.

56don likes this.
  11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Freak'n Awesome! Patiently waiting for this story...

12. What a cool car. Great save!

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OR, were those Pontiac looking blisters added to accommodate a wide V-8 like a hemi?

14. toml24

toml24

If you ever decide to move on from this car I strongly encourage you to contact Dick Woodland at the Woodland Auto Display Museum in Paso Robles, CA.

‘33chevNate likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats

Ferdyeight likes this.
  16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looks like the start of a great build.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Time Capsule...Congratulations @bp1971...looking forward to the story...Is that as found amongst the pinups or is that your garage?. Rooms like that have all kinds of history which adds to the history of it all. Have fun with it.

18. Nobey

Nobey

Neat old rod, looks like it's sitting in Dick Baskins shop.....

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like she's been sittn' quite awhile! Can't wait to hear the story that goes with it. Are those Chrysler wires ? Hellish bumpers. Very cool car!

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I dig the cool gauges. They look natural there. Anybody know what they were from?

21. 63Compact

63Compact

Very cool tell us more.

22. Damn! Inquiring minds need to know!

23. BJR

BJR

The gauges are Lincoln-Zephyr 1937.

24. Let me just say that I am posting the pictures and the story for a good friend of mine that owns the car, We know him as Dick Baskin of Baskin's Upholstery. He is not technology inclined and asked me to share this with the HAMB community.

"Samuel Baskin sold this 33 coupe to Eugene DeBoer in 1940 for the sum of $150. Eugene drove the car until his death in the 90's. His son Chris inherited the car and it was parked...more like chained to a tree next to his house for some years. Around 2003, the coupe was pushed on to Eugene's patio next to his house, covered. The coupe kept company with a '29 sedan delivery, '39 Buick 4 door and many motorcyles. Over the next decade the coupe and the other cars became covered with so much stuff that you could no longer seem them... One could be standing literally one foot away and you would not know there was a car in front of you...much less a '33 coupe. Chris, the son was killed in a motorcycle accident in 2017. The family decided the car should go back to Samuel Baskins son-Richard Baskin. A deal was struck and Ricahrd Baskin and his boys dug the car out and brought it back to his shop."

According to dick, he thinks the hood sides came from his dads shop, where they sold auto accessories. I will post more pictures and information about the car in later posts.

25. That's awesome! I have a '34 hood set up with those Pontiac pieces as well. Please show the back side if you get a chance. Thanks for sharing!

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I dig when a hot rod finds it’s way home ;).

Hollywood-East and HEMI32 like this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Lot of neat features on this one and a great story. Looking forward to more, thanks.

28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome find and congratulations

29. Nice. Great find

30. Otto

Otto

That car sat for years in a driveway off of McKinley between Fresno and Blackstone. Easily visible from McKinley, which is a very well traveled road. I remember seeing it when I would drive to Fresno High in the late 80's-early 90's to lifeguard at the pool as a young college man...
    Even in my younger days I knew that car was special.
    I left notes, knocked, etc...until one day I got lucky and an older guy answered the door. He said it was his sons car, something about him holding it for him until his obligation with some sort of incarceration was up. Lots of motorcycles on the property too if I recall.
    I would drive by every few weeks until one day it was gone. Must have been when it was pushed behind the wall.
    I always wondered what happened to it. Glad to see it is still local!!!

kidcampbell71, Stogy, Nobey and 4 others like this.