Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves... And PayPal...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I like face to face meetings and CASH

bobwop, slowmotion, Montana1 and 4 others like this.
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm glad I've sold most of my parts, because I only accept US Postal money orders.. I buy with PP but I don't sell with it... I've been a member since 2009 and have over 5,000 posts and feel Postal money orders are safe and shouldn't be penalized for using them....

ahshoe, WiredSpider and RMR&C like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No. I'm not saying that... I am saying this:

1. Users should be very carful when buying from you if they don't know you. However, if you've been registered for 9 years, you are a safer bet obviously.

2. If you do get over on someone, I have very little recourse other than to publicly shame you. The buyer has even less recourse.

3. You should really consider using PayPal.

As for USPS money orders, I'm not familiar with their fraud protection or the ease in which you can object to a bad purchase. It might be great for all I know. I do, however, know that PayPal's process is pretty easy and painless. I've done it a few times.

4. to add to Ryans post remember to also stay away from using western union or Wallmart for money transactions

Andy likes this.
  5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

People need to stop being so NAIVE !!!! If it's too good to be true, it's not real.....

Landmule and WiredSpider like this.
  6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Most of the time you find it a nightmare to deal with the USPS on fraud protection, most will not care and lose your claim paperwork in a pile of a mess......... Unless the amount is over $10,000...they just don't care. They have too many cases to deal with and not enough man power.

7. Got screwed on here a few years ago when I didn’t know any better.

Sucks big time.

I buy and sell with either Canada post money orders or with USA postal money orders.

I also know check the members status on this site ( post count etc)

Nothing is fool proof and has been mentioned scammers will find a way to scam never mind what the payment method is.

We had someone from Germany scamming Netflix payment from one of our credit cards for 2 months before we caught on. $9.99 seems like a petty theft but like I said to the wife 10 bucks from us, and if they put through a bunch of small charges here and there over multiple stolen credit cards think about the savings at the end of the year!
    Thousands of dollars and with less paper invoices etc if your not diligent it’s easy to miss a few bucks here and there every month.

Frickin scammer, we should hold a marathon every year we’re there dicks get crazy glued to there legs and made to run a marathon !!

8. I guess I'm too old school...

I will never use Pay Pal. If you want something I have, I invite you to come and see it, feel it, smell it, taste it. If you like it, buy it. If not, you are not obligated. I'm OK with that.

It works the other way too. If I see something I like, want or need, I will go look at it, feel it, smell it and taste it. If I like it, I pay for it. If not, I politely pass on it.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but it works for everyone.

NEVER have I been ripped off, and everybody is happy when the deal is done!
    :cool:

afaulk, trollst and RMR&C like this.
  9. louisb

louisb

I use PayPal a lot. If someone asks me to use Friends & Family I usually just offer to pay the extra 3%. I feel it is dishonest to do otherwise and 3% isn't going to break me. I am here to enjoy hot rods and meet people who like the same, not quibble over a few bucks.

As far as fraud, well it is one of the reasons I prefer to buy from Alliance Members. If they aren't an alliance member and don't have a high post count I usually pass. Haven't been burned yet that way.

Thanks,

--louis

10. I've been using PP for years, not a problem with getting ripped off. I have a problem between PP and my bank, so I stopped using PP credit completely. I tie it to a debit or credit card depending on how much the sale is.

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

now days some of the vendors will take paypal too. i like it as the money goes straight out of my bank, and not on the damn credit card

12. rlsteel

rlsteel

Pay pal first usps second.You sure limit yourself with cash in person,RLS

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

louis,

I do the same thing. Nobody likes a thief.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. low down A

low down A

I will never send postal money orders again after an experience I had just a couple months ago. guy claimed he never received money order. I went to post office filed a claim cost 7 dollars, two weeks later got a letter stating no refund for 90 days and that was only if money order was not cashed. if cashed no refund would be issued. money orders only work if both party's are honest. paypal or no deal for me

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sure would take care of the majority of scammers if we could find a way from preventing them from posting on the classifieds for 3-6 months.
    I always use PayPal.
    But have even sent cash in the mail to long time (active) Hambers.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

95% of these cases are not classified ads. They are responding to wanted ads. The only way to really stop it is to be smart.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks, this needed to be said. I have had a Paypal account since 2002, my shop has taken in close to a half million dollars in payments through it, and I have bought countless items with Paypal, and I have yet to get screwed by Paypal in either direction, including me having to get my money back on a couple of deals gone bad.

Sure, it sucks to pay fees and the internet is a scary place and blah blah blah, when it comes down to it, Paypal will go to great lengths to protect it's identity as a safe payment platform, way more than any other payment method. The USPS does not employ an elite team of forensic detectives when you lose $200 foolishly sending a check in the mail to someone you don't know.

Scammers are getting smarter and bolder. We as buyers and sellers need to do the same. Paypal is a powerful weapon in that fight.

neatoldclassics, Hnstray and Texas57 like this.
  18. I could set a trap in the want ads "WANTED: Keneuter valve for a 1932 Henway, must be a DELUXE henway because the standard Henway had a pressure valve, and the deluxes had a check ball encased in marvel mystery oil. Will pay top dollar for this rare item."

Then I'd just report anyone who replies.

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For International buyer Paypal is the only way to go . Just watch for newbies as a red flag. Several guys on here do not post much at all in the way of discussions they just use the HAMB as a classified listing and thats ok .
    If someone says check or Money order or what ever I just move on ,though it can be frustrating at time for the very part you need you miss out ,but better safe.
    The wanted section is definitely where the scammers troll. I had a wanted thread and some newby contacted me that joined that day and asked me to send a list of what I wanted when it was clearly stated in my post. I said send picture and that was the last I heard.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Had a problem with PayPal 2 years ago. It was a 'scam' for $175, paid from my PayPal acc't to some store back East, for women's clothing. I called PayPal at 9:00 A.M., (they are Calif. located, so am I) and by 11:30 I was notified that funds had been restored to my bank account! That was fast...
    I had to change my password, that was all.
    However, in your best interests: Read the notice PayPal has out, they are changing many things starting the end of April this year. Reads like a 'legal document'...First year law gibberish; read slowly, count on fingers, party of which part, etc.
    Still gonna use it, best thing since rubber checks! :D

Hnstray likes this.
  21. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Ryan –– Thank you for post. It is an important wake up call. I hope members will consider it carefully.

22. wildwest

wildwest

I have done 100's of transactions over many years using Personal Checks or Postal Money orders, both buying & selling, on many different forums, NEVER used Paypal and NEVER had a problem. I have been contacted through other sites wanted ads by scammers, but it's usually easy to spot them.

Be smart , but I see no reason to REQUIRE Paypal for your transactions. Some of us will Never use it for various reasons.

I could tell a story involving a friends dad selling his parts collection to move, Ebay/Paypal keeping track, and the IRS contacting him for their supposed cut of the "estimated" profit (they had no way to prove) But it still cost him around $3000 with attorneys & accountants to clear his name. Just happened last year.

ahshoe and 47ragtop like this.
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Plus an Operations Center right here in Omaha, Nebraska :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. I have had a PP acct for a long time and have bought and sold using it. This year I got a 1099 in the mail for income generated during the calendar year of 2017. I hadn't thought about this as it has never happened prior to this instance. Unfortunately, there was no way to go back and print monthly statements to verify all the entries that lead up to this 1099 amount. Apparently one has to remember to maintain a paper trail to reconcile the year end 1099 which I had not thought of. So bear this in mind and don't be lax in your attention to t his mater as I have been. FWIW.

47ragtop likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would like to post a couple thoughts on here. I watch and read Ryan's posts on here and I believe integrity is a deep moral value he holds close. That gives me a lot of confidence and a huge amount of respect for him and the way he runs the hamb. A long running thought i have had is I sure wish Ryan ebay. It would be fair and fun for both the seller and the buyer. ( I can keep hoping. :). Paypal has scammers to especially tied to one sight wear buyers (scammers win an auction then get the item they won, demand a refund and try and get their money back as well as keep the item. So all beware. Also, A VERY BIG point my fellow hambers can and should do, when you have the name of the seller and/or buyer GOOGLE them. You may find out positives or negatives about that person.. A little time on the keyboard may help. That is all ;)

26. trollst

trollst

I'm with montanal, if I can't see it in person, it don't happen. I only deal in cash and I only deal as far as I can drive. I have a deep mistrust in others honesty, buying something from afar leads to disappointment the day it lands on your door, no thanks.
    Because I live in a small town, I like to do business here, they need my money, e.g., I bought my last set of gauges here, my local auto parts guy doesn't handle high zoot stuff, he does regular parts, logging truck shit, hydraulic hoses, anything to make a buck. So....I gather up the info, hand it to him, he arranges purchase under his #, when it comes I pay him, and it's usually the same or less if it came to my door.
    If it's damaged, he returns it, no hassle for me, gets me a new one, when I DO need him for hoomerhingies, he's still in business and can get what I need while feeding his family at the same time.
    Something that does not happen when you push the buy now button......
    Buying from a private individual? Nope, not if I can't see it, smell it, eye him up directly, don't happen. However, I have driven ten hours with my trailer only to not come home with what I went for, but got the satisfaction of chewing his ass off for artfully crafted photo's, and being a cheat. Try that online.

Montana1 and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been using PayPal for three or four years now. When I get my monthly statement I am able to review ALL PayPal transactions that I have ever had since I joined. I have never tried to print this out but I bet it could be done.

Worst case, you should contact PayPal directly. I would wager that they would be able to help you generate a list of transactions.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

PayPal may be great for buyers but NOT for sellers. I have been scammed by buyers. And while PayPal admitted to me that I was getting ripped off over the phone there policy is to ALWAYS side with the buyer so they did nothing.

In fact it is in there policy to keep their cut of the costs from the seller even when they pull the money from your account and allow you to be ripped off.

So if you are selling something that costs a lot to ship or a valuable item... try to find a different way to be paid!!!!

It is great for buyers though.

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I don't recognize the HAMBer, I check their number of posts and if I'm still getting that "feeling", I search their posts and see if all their posts are just "for sale" ads or if they're contributors to the board. If they're newbies or only sell stuff, I avoid them. I prefer PayPal in most every case, too. Been using PP for 12+ years and have NEVER had a problem. Of course, I've also never had a problem with accepting a check or M/O, but I tell the Buyer that I won't ship until the check clears. I don't usually send checks.

olscrounger likes this.
  30. As stated above, Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. A big scam problem is selling a high buck item to a scammer, he says it's not as described and wants a refund. He packs a bunch of garbage in a box and sends it to you. Paypal sees you received a package the same size and weight as the original and assumes you got your stuff back. They debit your account and you're out both the stuff and the money. Be careful who you sell to.