Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves... And PayPal...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Thieves... And PayPal...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

lewk, barryvanhook, tofords and 18 others like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Good post,it happened to me

3. agtw31

agtw31

If you don't know the seller,do NOT send money through Paypal for friends or family.

You have no way to dispute through paypal if you're scammed.

If the seller can't afford the paypal seller's fee(not buyer's fee),he shouldn't be selling.

4. zzford

zzford

"Thanks fellas… and sorry for the shitty content today." Not a problem at all. Frankly, I enjoy a little "shitty content" in my day. It matches much of my life!

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, Paypal provides a valuable service. It has been bulletproof for me. I still can't figure out why people would send their hard earned money to someone they have never met for parts they have never seen....

6. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I prefer to use Paypal. It's so easy to use.
    I sort of want that email address now: iamathievingmothafucka

7. May those who don't have Paypal "heed your advice"

seb fontana likes this.
  8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Hmmm , I thought USPS money orders protected both parties from mail fraud . I do have Paypal acct. I will be using it more often. Thanks for the input.

56don likes this.
  9. 5window

5window

Thanks, Ryan. All good points. I am sure we all think a scammer won't get us personally. Sometimes we even think that the second or third time. It's not a very nice day outside so a crappy e-mail just suits the weather.

10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I like USPS money orders as Dave Mc said.
    Mail fraud is a big no no.
    Also,no matter what method of payment,do your research.
    Look at the sellers posts,how often they have sold things and their feedback.

11. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get that some folks are leery of PayPal. I was too - that whole "old dog and new tricks" thing. However, as I was collecting parts it became necessary (for me anyway) to figure out the whole PayPal thing and get on board with it. I can honestly say that it is really handy and in fact I have arrived at the point where if somebody says they can't or won't do PayPal then I will almost always pass on their item. Frankly, the whole money order thing is a pain in the ass.

Now some people have an issue with the 3% fee that PayPal charges. I get that too. But, they are not in business for the heck of it need to make a living too. Some folks are unethical about it and will game the system by demanding that funds are sent as "friends and family" so that they can get around the 3% fee. That's great except for the fact that if you sent a payment to a seller as a gift and then later have any issues with them there is nothing that PayPal can or will do for you. Like Ryan mentioned in his post, one of the good things about PayPal is the help they can provide in getting your cash back in the event of issues. If the 3% is a big deal for you then factor that cost into the sell price of what you have for sale.

I know a lot of people are going to push back on this and that's fine. But anymore it is how the world is doing business.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  12. No post ever have always been a red flag but too many members get excited and blindly jump at the chance to get that holy grail part at a fraction of what they go for on the open market,another red flag.

If you look at the profile and they joined shortly after you posted your needs ,another red flag.

I use paypal most of the time but if someone has been a member for a long time and is active I am not Leary.

Bottom line,use common sense. HRP

catdad49, alanp561, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  13. Think Globally ;)

czuch, jvo, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. So, after 9 years on here, if I don't accept paypal for my parts for sale in the classifieds, I'm banned?
    Let's be clear....is this what you are saying?

PunkAssGearhead88 and tractorguy like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

On top of all that's been said, when it comes to buying and selling in the HAMB Classifieds, I always stay away from someone with very few posts. If you want to use the HAMB to buy/sell, you should also contribute (post useful and helpful information, etc.) to the site. Two way street. You want to make a buck on here, participate and give back to the community.

XXL__, bobwop, catdad49 and 16 others like this.
  16. ..............Excellent point. Even though they might be a legitimate buyer/seller, it just kinda pisses me off that some folks come on here solely for the free ads.:mad:

17. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

No, what Ryan is saying is use your head.

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I am one of those guy's that don't trust PP or the banks BUT in order to function in this world I had to succumb to the ways that be. I have no cell phone, no CC, no debit card, no check book, would get rid of the mail box if I could! Went down to the bank and opened a non interest bearing account that I just use for E-Bay & PP, when I sell and money is in PP I immediately electronically send funds to bank and immediately go to bank and pull funds out, never leaving more than 10 bucks in either place. When I want to buy with PP I let the seller know ahead of time it may take 3-5 days to get PP funds. Fool proof no but working good so far!

19. Hombre

Hombre

"Lets be clear" that is not what he is saying. He said if someone you don't know, ask for a check. If you have been on here for 9 years that would be different.

I have purchased 100's and 100's of parts here on the HAMB, some big purchases and some small ones. I will not do business with anyone who DOES NOT use pay-pal. That's my choice. I also will not ever do the Family and Friends things to purchase anything. That also is a personal choice, it is not ethical and if you are purchasing goods it is also a damn lie. I also always add to the purchase price the 3% charge myself. Never once have I asked a seller to pay this fee, since I am the one insisting on this why wouldn't I be willing to pay that 3%? I look at as just the cost of doing business, in the long run I have been way ahead on my purchase's.

Another thing that piss's me off is the guys who just sell here on the HAMB and don't contribute in any other way, and then don't join the Alliance. And hey guys, just think you can even use Pay-Pal to pay for your membership, damn good way to get started--HUH?

20. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Rethinking my one man boycott of PayPal. Recently I had a add here on H.A.M.B. & was contacted by a new user and so goes the story. No I didn’t do business with him, I’m smarter than that but it did catch me almost off guard. Thanks Ryan for the wake up call!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Yep...I have had two of these PM's on my recent WTB ad. New member, 0 posts 0 likes and always last seen looking at WTB ads
    One is no longer a member and the other is still a member from "Denver Collorado" (spelled just like that) sent me a PM to email his buddy who has the parts I need.
    Chappy

22. Thanks Ryan,
    I posted just about the same thing a week or two ago here.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ney-no-item-sent.1097438/page-3#post-12454600

Oldtimers need to know that that magical rare part is not just sitting there, waiting for then to find it through some wanted ad. Rare parts are rare parts, you have to see them "in hand" and pay up.

I second guess most all classified ads and ebay auctions now as well. The scamming it rampant.

Send PP money as a purchase always.

Also the real answer to this is for all of us, Stop being a armchair hotrodders and get to the swaps and trade with cash in hand for parts. Now paying that extra amount doesn't feel so bad.

A good reason why I don't post wanted ads so much.

to lighten things up, seems Walmart found a way to get their savings back, haha!
    You may as well send your money to Bumperboyz expecting a nice chrome bumper.

Malcolm likes this.
  23. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I know many email addresses are kind of tongue in cheek, but this guy just lays it all out for ya.

[email protected] :confused:

HellsHotRods and 61cad like this.
  24. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Solid advice to use PayPal in this day & age. The day of the handshake and an honest deal have gone the way of the buffalo with the advent of the internet. Not to say that it still doesn't happen but there are a lot of thieves in the mix now. Have used PP for years.....for all my internet purchases. Never an issue.....and you have some recourse if you do have a problem.

61cad likes this.
  25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I always give the buyer the choice of either USPMO or PP, They can spend time getting one or as I explain pay an extra $5 per $100 for the fees of convinence.

XXL__ and scrap metal 48 like this.
  26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I had a scammer on the line saying I won money and a car and all I had to do was get a postal money order and give him the number on it. I called the post office about it after I told the guy it would take me an hour to get to the post office. The postal authorities wern't the least bit interested in trying to catch the guy. They can get the money from a postal money order at any post office with the number. I played with the guy for a couple of hours anyway.

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in Nov I ran an ad in the wanted section for Knetch Auburn style dash and was pm'd by Danstocker on here. (fake handle) I was told to contact [email protected] and he had a dash for sale. I made the contact and arrangements were made to buy the part. He stated that he would only except payment by Walmart money transfer (which should have been a red flag) but I was so dam greedy for the dash that I did the deal sending the money to Caroline P Gulley, W 5395 Boma Rd, Lacrosse WI 54601. Last I ever heard from them. I confirmed thru Walmart that the money had been received. While it didn't break the bank I'm still pissed at getting screwed. I've always tried to be honest with my ads on here and I expect the same from others. Maybe I shouldn't name names but it's what happened to me

28. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I have bought and sold here. I prefer to use a US Postal Money Order for both. The buyer fills in the name of the seller so at you least have a name. Seller can deposit the MO at their bank (paper trail) or cash it at a PO. PO will require ID so there is some protection unless seller is using a fake ID.

I have a PP account with little balance and tied to a bank account with little balance so I don't have a concern about someone draining my accounts. But in my opinion the problem is when I send my parts to someone they dispute receiving them or the quality and file a claim at PP and get their money back and keep the parts. Now I am doubly screwed, no parts or money. That really sucks.

I think bottom line is to heed the comments about HAMB participation, pay attention to punctuation and grammar, and demand a phone number so you can have a conversation.

And all the cheap, greedy buyers need to remember that high quality, rare parts for pennies on the dollar is a scam.

clem likes this.
  29. use PayPal a lot... have sent a few USPS money orders... and haven't had a issue.. If they haven't been on here awhile.. They get the ignore button... I 've posted a few of the scammers on a thread I started and reported them.

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you send out parts with a signature requested, that solves that issue, to many "porch pirates" out here that non delivery acusations are not just from bad buyers, and the use of your CC has fraud protection and submit a claim against it