Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spring Shackle bushings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmdeaton, Mar 6, 2018.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Did a search and did not come up with what I needed. New rear springs come with brass bushings installed. I have Pete and Jakes shackle kits with the urethane bushings. Just knock the brass out and press the urethane in? Am I missing something or is it this easy? Urethane seems a little large on the OD for the front spring as it didn't come with a bush.

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

Front spring a reversed eye?

3. It's best to use a lithium based grease to prevent the squeaks and drive them in with a rubber mallet. HRP

4. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Some original springs came with 7/8 inch diameter eyes Most urethane shackle bushings are 3/4 inch OD. At one time steel sleeves were available to make up the diferance. Not sure if they are still available.

5. ydopen

ydopen

Pete and Jakes have both the 7/8 and 3/4 bushings for front or rear.

You can order them separately if you do not have right one with the shackles.

John

6. alchemy

alchemy

Brass bushings might be just fine also. Why knock them out? There has been a kit on the market for a few years offering brass/bronze bushings for shackles instead of urethane. I haven't used any, but the idea makes sense.

7. ydopen

ydopen

I agree. I used the oilite bronze bushings from Lime Works. I had to machine a couple to fit model A size holes.
    I think that is a good way to go and to me they look more correct then plastic.You have to call them as they do not have all sizes on web site.

John

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

yes, front is reversed eye from Speedway. Rear is reversed eye from Matt on this forum with brass bush. It looks like it will be nice.

9. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I tried to order some online last night and got to the end and the payment was down. I wanted a tshirt from them also. Better wait till I get home to measure the eyes. Working out of town

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

I thought Lime Works went under? Any good hardware store should have what you need. You can always get undersized I.d. And ream to fit. Bronze or urethane. Speedway does have stuff listed, but shipping sucks ( and a lot of the guys on here will dis you seriously if you even mention them! I buy stuff from them all the time, just spend over a hundred bucks, which aint hard)

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

When the old bushings don't want to leave, I slide a 3" long metal cutting blade into my sabre saw, 0r disassemble your hacksaw, slide the blade through, re-assemble and score the bushing...
    make 2 cuts, don't cut all the way through... tap the scored bushing inward with a punch and the wall should collapse...