Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacuum for Power Brakes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modified, Aug 11, 2012.

1. modified

modified

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>OK! New question. Now that I've installed the vacuum pump and have decent power assist, would there be any advantage to add
    a vacuum storage canister? Would that really do anything? Seems like when you step on the brakes the pump will run either way. Maybe it would give me an extra stab! I don't know.
    What do you think!
    Below is a picture of the pump mounted under the floor. ( picture is upside-down )
    Thanks! Joe

Attached Files:

2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Assuming you have a check valve somewhere on the vacuum side, the power brake unit is a vacuum reservoir itself. A separate reservoir(with check valve) would allow repeated assisted brake applications in case the pump can't keep up.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

interesting info - know that power booster is a storage canister and adding another canister just adds more volume. but, having that extra volume helps in that it is immediate and does not have to wait for increasing vacuum. in some situations the stored vacuum may be temporarily higher than experienced at low speed. vacuum pumps are a good solution if you can figure out a way to quiet it down - very noisy even with rubber mounting - are expensive. hydro boost hooked to power steering does the best but, very expensive and involving plumbing that can be hard to hide. use of pump with use of storage canister sort of a cousin of a air bag system.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Old Thread , but I've mentioned this before.

Get an Alternator off a small Japanese diesel truck. They have a vacuum pump on the back of them.
    You'll need an oil feed and drain to the pan.
    The side benefit is the dead reliable Japanese internal regulated charging system.

These alternators just about pull enough vacuum to "suck start your engine"

5. 34ford 454

34ford 454

6. 34ford 454

34ford 454

Should I install the new vacuum pump before or after the canister and then on to the booster???? . If not how should the routing go? 1934 Ford roaster 454 with thumpr Comp cam