Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical .

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by motleycrue, Feb 5, 2018.

1. motleycrue

motleycrue

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

No Offence, but why?
    KK

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Do you mean something like a roll down window?

4. ...I think he means the factory vent tubes that were used,...I have some used ones...
    ...they were sheet metal tubes and were lined with some felt type insulation to keep the air from warming up as it pass'd thru the engine compartment, w/o the insuation they act like a heater once your car is warm'd up.

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Here are shots of my '49 Deluxe, which came with a Cold Air Heater on the Passenger side, and Cold Air Vent on the Driver side. Let me know if you need any specific details. (I've seen the Ducts on Ebay, but you could make your own using modern plastic Intake Tubes).

IMG_0572.JPG
    Engine Left.jpeg Engine Right.JPG IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0334.JPG

6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

This is the Driver Side Duct. Not sure what all you are missing, but there would be a Gate on the Firewall, connected to the Duct by a roughly 3" wide Rubber Band/Sleeve (which are available aftermarket), and the other end of the Duct bolts to the backside of a Hole/Screen on the Radiator Support Sheet Metal. Nothing but the Bands are available aftermarket.

th.jpg

7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Are you referring to a CAI setup ala The Fast and the Furious type for modern cars? That might incite a riot here.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  8. motleycrue

motleycrue

thanx, at last a sensible reply without sarcasm,

9. motleycrue

motleycrue

thank you for the time to take pics,and give me a sensible reply without silly remarks. cheers bud

10. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Don’t hesitate to ask for any specifics/ additional pics. On Chevy Talk Forum there’s a Thread with factory line drawings, but I think Pics are best.

11. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I could not find a passenger side tube for my uncles 51. I had an extra drivers side. We reversed the tabs, and put it on the passengers side.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

FrankenRodz likes this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have to be honest, that's what I thought as well.

13. motleycrue

motleycrue

hiya bud, on my 49,stock 216,the manifold has a sort of flap with a weight on,,i think thats what it is, so what is it for exactly?

14. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

manifold heat flap...

15. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Yep, Heat Valve.
    When the heat riser is in the cold engine position (heating the intake) the weight will be horizontal with the flat surface on the bottom. It will tilt about 30 degrees for the hot engine position.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I should think the insulation was to keep engine noise out of the passenger compartment. Contemporary Chrysler products had a similar heat duct made of papier mache, VWs used a heat duct that looked like a muffler covered with felt.

You could make a suitable duct out of anything. Aluminum dryer duct covered with insulation if you couldn't come up with anything better.

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

There's actually one on Ebay right now.

18. Had you asked your question in a clear fashion, folks could have given you a correct answer immediately.
    For me, I thought you were looking for a K & N cold air kit.
    Clarity counts when asking questions.

X38 and RacingRoger like this.
  19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Cold air equals free horse power courtesy of mother nature.
    Not an exact science but roughly for every 11 degrees you reduce your intake air temp. you gain a percentage point in horse power. Example given intake air 70 degrees, engine temp. 180 degrees, 110 degree difference equals a 10% horse power gain. Again a lot of variable's such as humidity and elevation but cold air is denser and contains or brings in more oxygen to the equation.

FrankenRodz and motleycrue like this.
  20. motleycrue

motleycrue

thanx, it just seems sort of loose,with balance on 1 end, do i need it to be in a certain position?coz it just moves freely if i touch it, obvs when cold,lol, whats the best position for it?and should i try fix it in that postion?

21. motleycrue

motleycrue

thanx bud

22. motleycrue

motleycrue

i thought i was clear,other guys understood me, and if i wanted k&n,i would have said induction,not intake.

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The heat riser valve is supposed to be spring loaded with a bimetallic coil spring. When it is cold the spring tightens closing the valve, when it is hot it expands opening the valve. When it is working correctly it helps the engine warm up quicker and run smoother when cold.

Your car appears to have an aftermarket intake. Most of those dispense with manifold heat. If there is no contact between the intake and exhaust manifold then you don't need the heat riser valve. In that case you should wire it open permanently.

24. No, you weren't.
    My mind went straight to where Sheep Dip's answer was.
    Cold air intake for a Styleline 6 instantly says engine intake. Especially when you ask if you should make your own.

25. motleycrue

motleycrue

ah, thank you,

26. motleycrue

motleycrue

so whats the big deal? and whats it got to do with you anyway? its sorted now.

27. motleycrue

motleycrue

btw,in the position its in atm,is it sitting open or closed? thanx

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

motleycrue I mistook Frankenrodz pictures for pictures of your car. His has an aluminum dual carb intake, I don't know what your car has. If it has stock single carb and stock exhaust manifold you should see that the heat riser valve is working. New springs are available from the usual parts sellers. They need to be replaced every 5 or 10 years.

29. motleycrue

motleycrue

ok ,mine is 49 ctyleline, original 6, thanx rusty

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole