Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cars might cost me my house, watch out friends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddaddy, May 3, 2006.

1. sir

sir

...here in our county in southern oregon (josephine) they do a aerial servey....so if you have added anything to your property...and tax you accordingly...the aerial servey is most likely how they got cha......

2. Mutt

Mutt

I agree AJ...

Olddaddy..
    You said... "My homeowners insurance was recently cancelled in part due to "storage of junk automobiles"."

In part?....What are the other reasons they gave? As with all of these rants, it seems like something has been left out.

Mutt

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Just wait, the day is not far away when the insurance companies cancel all but the most high premium policies. Gunna be real sweet when your house payment doubles because of how much you will have to pay for the house insurance through the morgage company. I agree with someone above, dump the house for the big bucks and buy one you can pay for in full. Then when the insurance companies try to screw you, tell them to fuck off.

I had insurance at my shop (business insurance) and was paying 10% of my gross income for the premium. After 10 years of making the payments on time and with no claims of any kind, they canceled me. The reason? My business was too small for them to charge enough premium to provide coverage on me!!!!!! I guess the $40-$50 grand I gave them for nothing over that 10 years wasn't enough?

Insurance is becoming something for the rich people.
    Gene

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

A fellow worker near me (in R.I.)has been canceled by Alstate ins.Origional and only reason his summer home doesen't have a heating system in it !He agreed to install an electric heating system figguring its the cheapest one toinstall and it will just sit there because they only use the house as a summer cottage anyway.Alstate comes back with they now can not insure him because the house is less than 50 feet from a pond!Alstate has insured this property for more than 30 years prior to this with no claims ever made.My friend has been turned down now by several other companys because house is on the pond.in my case here in Ct.Alstate insured my house for 15 years did what the insurance company calls a drive by and saw that I was doing work on the house and had some of the siding torn off .I got a cancelation notice in the mail being informed that Alstate doesen't offer construction policys therefor they could not cover us during the renovations .When I told my agent she told wife and I another customer in a 350,000 home was puting on a 200.000addition and Alstate canceled them also !~

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just looked at your website, rustyhope.com, and saw this:

Currently parting out:
    1957 Oldsmobile wagon.
    1978 Volare wagon.
    49-50 Plymouth Suburbans.
    98 Neon 4dr sedan.
    Various slant/6 engines, 904 transmissions,
    Flathead six engines and transmissions

:eek:

And that didn't include the running cars you mentioned.

That's a junkyard, bro. Of course they cancelled your insurance. I agree, insurance is a big rip off, but if the bank is carrying your note then you have to play by their rules, like it or not. Good luck to ya.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

A MSNBC article quotes Allstate Insurance president and chief operating officer Thomas J. Wilson II: "Our obligation is to earn a return for our shareholders, not to assume risks from people for a price that is not fair and adequate."

The Insurance business is NOT about insurance, but it is about Making Money.

7. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Good luck...sounds like you've got a bit of a mess in your hands...

8. I've said it b4 and I stand by it , Its way past time for a insurance company's boycott or something to take back OUR rights and property from the corporations control + away from the money grabbing bastards,the world would be a MUCH better place w/o them , I have always said and stand by it that life is a crap shoot, you lose something - you start over , fuck insurance! I only have what I have to by law, THEY drove the price of even having a tooth pulled out of sight. B4 somebody pipes in about what would i do if I lost my home , I did- TWICE from home fires, I started over from nothing both times. Ya get knocked down ya get back up -swinging

9. a1930ford

a1930ford

Most conventional loans (VA, FHA and other federal loans are even worse) have this in their contract as well. You do not have to have insurance for the entire length of the loan, but most require it for a certain percentage of the life of the loan. (Until a certain amount of equity is obtained). Forclosures do indeed put people on the street in America and it happens every day of the week. Don't ever think your home can't be taken from you, as this happens all the time. Let me clarify this, as the lender can take out a much higher insurance policy and charge you for it. You have to pay or the home gets a foreclosure on it. The price of this insurance may actually double your monthly payments and sooner or later you will likely default on a payment or two. That is all the lender needs to activate the forclosure, and there is little to no excuses you can give for missing payments. Take a $1000 per month house paynment and double it. Add your normal utility bills and such in addition and then see just how long you could afford to keep the payments up and on time. Realestate law is tricky to say the least, but what people believe can happen and what actually can happen can be a real eye opener. Getting a lawyer is great if you have the money for such. Retainer fees are not generally cheap and most do not work on a win-the-case and then pay basis. Once the state agencies, insurance board and all have said the insurance company has the right to terminate service, you can bet that the fellow involved has their work cut out for them in problem resolution. Just getting rid of the cars may not make the home insurable once an insurance company denies insurability. You have to shop around, but it is not an easy road and permiums of another insurance company, if lucky enough to find one, may be significantly higher. Hiding the cars in the barn probably won't resolve the insurance problem either, as, as long as they are physically on the property, then the insurance company will likely deny the claim. In the end, it may indeed be that the owner has to give up the cars or move away from the area. If there is an outstanding loan balance that the owner can't pay off in cash, the lender may well indeed forclose on the note and force the owner away. I am not a lawyer, so none of my thoughts on it have any legal basis, but I did spend the night at the Holiday Inn last night.... :)

10. kentucky

kentucky

Insurance sucks. My mother has a business, and her insurer told her she had to have Terrorism Insurance. Get this...it's a FLOWER SHOP! WTF! She has a small building with a bathroom and cash register, and a bunch of water hoses. Real target there!

11. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

move the cars out, get insurance, move cars back in

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Friend of mine left his Florida hellhole and moved to Prescott AZ. Loves it.

13. sideshow01

sideshow01
    from Dirty Jerz

Stay outta Jersey. You might buy a house, just to lose it by way of Eminent Domain, so some private develper to build a starbucks and luxury condo's.

14. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

i really hate how noone actually "owns" thier house anymore, it seems even if it's paid off there is someway that you can get screwed. i just went through a battle with my homeowners association over my car but i'm still looking to move. good luck with your fight.

15. Dirk35

Dirk35

I tend to agree with the minority here. The insurance company didnt miricale the information of your vehicles. They either got it reported to them, or they physically inspected and didnt like what they seen.

If you got more than 5 cars and a family of 4, and they dont operate, your running a junk yard as there is no reason to have that many sitting around. Its not difficult, work on one or two, maybe even if you have a few teenagers with a car and its parts car sitting around, but that shit is usually obivious if someting is getting fixed up, or if your just collection and selling junk for no reason.

For your insurance:
    To further illistrate, my father likes to gather antique tractors. He has restored a few, but come on, does he really need 20 different makes and models of which none run, and he isnt even parting them out. He just likes to hoarde crap. I wouldnt want to be his neighbor! I wouldnt want to be his insurance company and have him put a claim if a peice is stolen one of the tractors that is difficult or costly to replace.

For those of you with homeowners associations and housing covenants, you were informed and provided a copy of that when you bought the house or you would have been grandfathered in and they not apply to you.

16. jaybee

jaybee

I worked in insurance underwriting for 9 1/2 months once and witnessed a conversation between 2 departmental directors in which they were excited about a policy change. If a loved one were to ride in an ambulance with a patient they would qualify that as personal transportation and deny the ambulance claim (after the fact, of course). My aunt became suddenly ill several years ago. The paramedics felt she would not survive an ambulance trip from her rural home to the hospital and called Life Flight. The insurance company declared that to be an elective decision and boom, $4000.00 bill not covered by insurance! What was she supposed to do, call the 800# for approval while she was being ventilated? After 10 years with no claims through Farmers Insurance my car was caught in a hail storm. The adjuster refused to see hail dents on the deck lid even after I pointed them out, and refused to pay for the dents on the door tops because they were "door dings" Um, door dings on a horizontal surface?

Yeah, it's a tough world, no one told us life is fair, and we have to play by the rules. But when the rules are increasingly set up so as to extract cash from the average working Joe and then screw him at the earliest opportunity it's hard not to be upset.

17. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I don't know about the law in Florida but here in Iowa you have to have a state
    license to sell used car parts. You can sell them as a hobby but once it can be
    established that it is an ongoing business, you can be arrested and charged
    with a crime. I found this out when a guy that lives about 20 miles from me got
    busted for it.

Another thing you should be aware of is that having more than 6 unregistered
    vehicles on your property you have an illegal junkyard and this is according to
    the National Highway Beautification Act of 1971. I found that out a few years
    ago when the officials a couple of counties over from where I live decided they
    were going to force everyone in the county with a bunch of what they
    considered junk cars sitting around to get rid of them. They flew over and
    spotted cars sitting around and forced the land owners to remove them. I about
    crapped my drawers when I saw that on the TV news and I wondered how long
    it would be until the officials in my county got the same idea. I passed 6 cars
    years ago. There are only 2 ways to protect yourself from the National Highway
    Beautification Act. The first is if you had a junkyard in operation prior to 1971
    you should be grandfathered in and second is to get a license for your
    operation.

I live in an unzoned county and I still had to get a letter from the appropriate
    county official to give to the DOT that stated that my property was zoned for a
    business so I could get licensed. I now hold a State of Iowa vehicle
    recycler/vehicle rebuilder license, vehicle recycler/used parts dealer license
    and vehicle recycler/vehicle salvager license.

I also had to get a state sales tax permit. The state wants their cut.

Just a couple of things I thought you should be aware of.

18. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

got that right

19. TCURRIER

TCURRIER
    Alliance Vendor
    from michigan

just one of the many reasons we moved out of the devils garden, that is why all the tree's lean to the south because florida sucks!

20. Last year they canceled our homeowners insurance because the roof was too old (house was built in '67, it was the original concrete tile, supposedly good for 80-100 years).

We had just broken ground on an addition, and NOBODY would insure a property that was under construction. Part of the refinancing for the new addition was also a new roof, new paint, and new floors throughout the house... they didn't want to hear it and they cancelled us anyway, even if we got the roof redone (any excuse). We eventually found that Travelers Ins. would insure us through the construction and the rate wasn't TOO bad. 6 months afterwards the work was done, they raise the insurance rate by $140 a MONTH! Now the mortgage payment is double what it was last year at this time.

Now they did the same thing to my barn landlord (I rent a barn from my best friends Dad). House was built in '68, original roof. Cancelled. Even if he fixed the roof they didn't want him back. the new insurance company didn't like the "rubbish" around his 3 acre property either... it was my "rubbish", and it was old car parts.

The reason they didn't want to insure it is because those cars or parts of cars and "rubbish" will tend to fly around and damage the house in a hurricane (tornadoes often accompany hurricanes). I cleaned it up and he's happy...

Now what the insurance companies fail to recognize is that your neighbors "rubbish" will fly around just as easily as your own. What if your neighbor is a storage lot?

Take the junk junk cars to a neighbor's house (or storage lot) that isn't getting threatened for a month or two until the heat is off, then bring them home and put them in a fenced enclosure the insurance company inspector can't see from the street, or your back windows.

21. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

The funny thing about this is that I used to live in that shithole of a state. Don't know if anyone remembers the Truly Nolan pest control cars all over Florida? Well sort of the same shit happened to them. They used to semi restore old cars and park them with the Truly Nolan logos on them as advertising. Well guess what? The state made them register every car that was on display and of course to tag a vehicle in Florida you must carry insurance on it. Long story short. They sold off all of their cars. Most Florida cities have laws that prohibit vehicles on you property that are not registered and insured. God I'm so glad I moved to Seattle.

22. Mutt

Mutt

Truely Nolan still has old cars all over the place for advertising.

Mutt

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Amen brother.this state is done!!

24. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Yes I know they still have some. They a re all registered and insured vehicles, regardless of their running state. They sold off most of there cars. They used to have upward of 2000 cars all over Florida. I used to do some of their work for them.