Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 2018 Ridler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

So I see they announced the 2018 Ridler winner yesterday and I have an opinion. Understand I can appreciate the time money and effort involved in builds like this even though I'm not really a "custom" guy. The exterior is interesting.... I like the shaved look as well as the chopped top and (to my eye) a sectioned hood giving the front a more appealing flat look. The rear is interesting as well, but it may just be me having withdrawals from the stock appearance I like. So, the jury is out on the rear for me.
    The interior is...... well, I don't know if I can be kind but I'll try. I think the design is a total fail as it doesn't match the lines or cues of the exterior. The color is kind of hideous, and the dash is just odd.
    Again, the execution is incredible, but I think it never really made it past the drawing board. On the other hand it won the Ridler, so it might be me.

2. 38mag

38mag

X2 I agree.

3. While I seem to share a general lack of enthusiasm for this car, much as others have expressed, it's easy to criticize the styling. To me it's too derivative of Coddington's Chezoom from (can you believe it) a couple decades ago. That being said, I'm a '32 kind of guy, and the number of times I hear/see people comment "Yeah, just another row of '32 Fords that all look alike." My immediate thought is something like; "Well, all that means is you've never built one so don't really appreciate the differences." And while that's probably a bit harsh it's also likely true. I suppose it eventually comes down to "what you're into". I've had a good number of tri 5s over the past 6 decades I've been playing with these cars, but something(s) about this one just bore the hell out of me. I guess I must not be "into" that sort of custom treatment. Like Mr. T, I can respect the workmanship and commitment to get there, the result leaves me flat. Oh well............we all don't like the same flavor ice cream either.

Rick & Jan and redo32 like this.
  4. Proof yet again that anybody can alter a car, but not everyone has the 'eye'.... IMO the Ridler cars were all ugly.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I will save my judgement until I can get some gooder pics. It takes someone special to improve a 57 Chevy ,anyway thats my opinion.

6. oldolds

oldolds

It makes me go wow! Look at that! Then after I looked at it I was happy it wasn't mine.

7. e z i

e z i

I just went and googled it. My opinion is that you fellas are being too kind...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    siouxindian, hendelec and seb fontana like this.
  8. belair

belair

Saw it, didn't like it. Waste of 57 Chevy. Nice paint, tho.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sheesh. Have never been crazy about over the top customs anyway.

hendelec, seb fontana and zzford like this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that little Chevy looks like a fancy version of the five ten which I think is the plain jane stock version. When you take a girl to the prom she's gotta dress up a bit and that poor Chevy just looks like it got out of bed!

Edit: Upon closer inspection it looks like it got out of bed after a bad one night stand!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    hendelec, seb fontana and Petejoe like this.
  11. I was going to ask for pics now I’m sorry that I’ve seen them....

hendelec, seb fontana and chevy57dude like this.
  12. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

that thing is off topic, doesn't belong here.

Moriarity, jim snow and chevy57dude like this.
  13. Now with pics this thread won't last. Gotta say, that was a lot of work to eff up a '57 Chevy.

14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Certainly not my cup of tea

Ranchero59, Kenny P and hendelec like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Fill out your profile.."it" does belong here cause "it" shows how many people belong here..My thought only...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was in Detroit. 15 year build and 4 Million dollars spent.The car fits together really well and has impeccable workmanship, with that said it is uglier than a mud fence.The car is certainly off topic here and I deleted the pic.....It amazes me every year that people feel the need to post off topic pics of ridler cars here

bscc50, lothiandon1940, X38 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.