Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9” Ford brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A.Rykowski, Mar 5, 2018.

1. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski

Hi everybody, forgive me if this is a dumb question but I’m looking for advice. I have a 9” Ford rear axle in my 34 Ford and I just bought some new brake drums. I’ve noticed that the drum fits nice over the center of the axle but there seems to be quite a bit of play around the wheel studs. I believe I have 1/2-20 wheel studs and it appears that the holes in the drums are closer to 9/16”. Comparing the new drums to the old they appear identical but I’m not sure that means this is right. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. They would be correct. you can expect some slop or play around the studs so they go together easier. Should be no problem, don't overthink simple things but don't be afraid to ask either.

A.Rykowski likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

As long as the hub centric in the center fits well, your golden

Hnstray likes this.
  4. ^^^^^^What they said. The axle and drum are machined so that the "fit" is the center hole in the drum. This keeps the drum concentric to the brake shoes. The lug nuts just hold everything in place.

A.Rykowski likes this.

5. A.Rykowski

A.Rykowski