Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '49 truck engine generator with fan mount.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RobertDip, Feb 17, 2018.

1. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Have a '50 truck flathead with single 5/8" pulley that runs the water pumps and generator. For space restrictions I cannot run the secondary forward pulley and stock fan. Fan needs to be mounted on 12V generator much like a '35 gen set-up. Would appreciate any ideas.

2. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

I am fighting that same battle right now. I have a thread going “Save me from the electric fan” that you might want to check out. I believe the solution is going to be running the fan off the front of the generator however, I haven’t put that together yet. I have a hub but, not sure it will fit my recently converted to 12 volt generator. What are you putting your 8B engine in?

Dale

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Phil55Kratz and sidevalve8ba like this.
  3. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

'28 Roadster P-U that started its life as a Hot Rod in 1947. Engine is a '52 with small pulleys. Converting to p-u large pulley water pumps, matching crank pulley and it could work just fine using a '35 style gen with fan mount pulley.
    Gen is held with a strap....I could just lop off the manifold mount....but would love to find a '50 style gen converted to 12V and have the fan pulley. Figure something must exist.

Attached Files:

• 092s.jpg
      092s.jpg
      File size:
      254.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

I don't have good pictures right now, my computer is fighting me. However, with the help of some of the H.A.M.B.ers on here, I have what I believe to be the solution. Speedway Motors (and others) sell a 5/8" pulley that fits a modern 12 volt generator. The inside diameter is .636 I believe. It is part number 56010999. On this pulley you can mount a stock '37 or '38 fan. You can also order either the 4 blade or 6 blade fan from Dennis Carpenter. They are located in his Ford 8N (tractor) catalog. This will let you run a 5/8" (wide) fan belt on a modern 12 volt generator and, keep your fan out of the radiator. Check it out.

Dale

Phil55Kratz likes this.

5. Mac VP

Mac VP

Here’s the problem.....the 1940 and newer Ford generators do not have the Timken tapered roller bearing at the front of the generator. When they changed the fan mount away from the generator pulley, they redesigned the fan bearing to use a common sealed ball bearing. This type of bearing is not recommended for carrying the load of the cooling fan.

You can’t swap the front bearing assembly from the 33-39 generator onto the 40-53 generator. Even if you figure out a way to make the pulley with the four bolt holes for a fan, you’re still using a front bearing that is not designed for the load.

If you’re staying with a six volt system, you can work with the regular Ford 1933-38 generator, which has the Timken bearing and fan mount pulley you need. The main drawback here is that these generators have a somewhat low amperage output and a simple voltage cut-out mounted on top instead of a modern voltage regulator. You can improve the regulation by swapping the original cutout with a semi-conductor style that looks like the original cutout. These generators were known as the 2 brush type.

The next option is to find a generator from a 1939 Standard Ford......one from a car that had the radio option. This version had the fan mount on the generator pulley, with the Timken type front bearing, and it was the upgraded 3 brush type that used a voltage regulator. This would still be a six volt system. But.........this generator is quite rare and easily missed when looking for them at swap meets.

The company that makes the “Original Look” alternators (that look like the original Ford generator) makes them with the common ball bearing in the front. They specifically state that they are not recommended for fan mounting.

So unless someone designs and manufactures a new hybrid for all the hot rodders.....12 volt alternator, in an original look generator housing, with a bearing support that can handle a fan load, there will be no easy option. Keep in mind that you can come up with a fan mount pulley for the later generators but you run the risk of a fan failure situation......something that could damage your radiator, the engine hood, and of course.....personal injury to you or someone else.

ydopen and chevyfordman like this.
  6. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

Damn, Mac, that is not what I was wanting to hear. Might you know of any alternative, good solution for running a mechanical fan on an 8BA that is stuffed into a '32. I have the 1946 setup on mine just now but, instead of running the '46 "oil filled" fan, I am running a non-oil filled unit. Every 5/8" pulley fan I have found is too long to allow me to move my radiator back in to the stock position so I can run the hood. This is beating me down. I have been told (have not been able to verify) that a '48-'52 F1 truck fan setup might be the solution. Don't know.

7. Mac VP

Mac VP

The 42-48 V8 car fan assembly is the exact same (except for fan diameter) as the 42-52 truck V8 fan assembly. Nothing to be gained in terms of the fan blade to radiator spacing.

8. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Great info above...thanks....so, here is what I did.....piece of cake after brain rattling to find a solution. I ordered a '35 era generator with fan mount pulley, it's a unit converted to 12V...and simply machined a block of aluminum as a manifold spacer extension 1 5/8" to line up the pulley to the truck wide belt water pumps. Used a stock '35 fan...and all worked out just fine.The stud from intake manifold had to also be lengthened to match spacer.

Attached Files:

Phil55Kratz and glorydime like this.
  9. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Did you remove the stud and buy another that was longer? I’m having this same line up issue with my set up. 8ba with truck pumps. 35 gen but I need to push forward about as far as you have here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app