Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Chevy Sedan big block project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jp52, May 15, 2017.

?

Keep the big block or find a smallblock

Poll closed May 22, 2017.
  1. Big block

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Small block

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Run a cool 327 tried power setup or something old school, having built 1000's of 350's I can't get excited either. Plus the LS is so much cheaper and builds more HP for less money. That being said I have a soft spot for baby v8's. Baby hemi? 215 Buick v8? 303 olds?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jp52

jp52

Yeah maybe. I’m looking for torque and reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'm building a 40 Chevy sedan too. Going small block in mine. It fit right in the stock frame like it belongs there. I was thinking of doing dual fours or 3 deuces or something like that for shits and giggles.....single four barrels are boring. lol

jp52 likes this.
  4. jp52

jp52

[​IMG][​IMG] a couple pictures of the progress. I know it looks like a disaster. Rednecking it in a tiny garage. Lots of comealongs and angle grinding.

5. jp52

jp52

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] made some more progress. Got the body perched on the frame with tire mounted so it rolls. You can see that it’s not a perfect fit but it’s close enough to make a good fit with some work. Saw a 38 coupe with stock fenders running 215 /85 -16s. That’s about 30” so I’m shooting for a tire of that outer diameter. Once I get them mounted I can get my wheels centered and figure out what needs to be cut up.

6. jp52

jp52

Got all mounts that stuck up above the frame cut off. The s10 frame fits pretty well. The axle hump is a few inches higher than the original. So either I will have to channel the trunk and rear floor or the front section will sit just above the frame. I’m thinking channeling as the frame is not worth showing off.

7. jp52

jp52

Well it happened. I decided on a motor and bought one. Went to Lebanon yesterday with my buddy, his three year old and I took his truck out there to grab some inner rockers from The filling station and check out a straight six I found on Craigslist. The owner seemed like a nice guy, he’d pulled it for a 350 swap. It was pretty clean and he claimed ran well. Think it’s a 72. Anyway He had a hoist so we loaded it up and brought it home. However I don’t have a hoist and my neighbor who does was in the middle of an engine swap so my amazing wife and friend and I concocted a cunning plan to get the motor out. It involved 4x6s old tires and two comeallongs. It was sketchy but it worked. Now to figure out how to go from 4.3 mounts to 250

Attached Files:

boy_named_sue likes this.
  8. jp52

jp52

Casting numbers say it’s a 73-79 250.