Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which 3 speed floor shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1949 mercury, Mar 4, 2018.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a Hurst in my 69 Firebird that came with a FoMoCo three speed column shift. Worked fine for me and later for my nephew. I would think the Mr. Gasket is pretty good to.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See my detailed post on the "Ford Barn".

1949 mercury likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One detail the O/P omitted on this thread that was on the thread on the "Barn" is the fact that he has an overdrive transmission. Makes a BIG difference.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  5. Do you have a link or name of your thread on the Ford Barn ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That style of Indy shifter isn't even close to what the Syncro lock is.
    I have used my Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed shifter on the three speed in my 48 before and just let the reverse lever hang. That was before my buddy gave me the Syncro Lock that is in it now.
    Link to a reconditioned shifter with no linkage or bracket To put in the Ebay search.
    The Hurst Master craft shifter would be my other choice.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think that would be hard to say the words "master craft" every time someone asks what kind of shifter you using, just doesn't roll off the lips like Syncro-Loc does.
    I had the same issue about those Indy shifters too, just me I guess.
    BTW, how well did the Comp plus work on the 3 speed?

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Re : "eBay shifters" - I used to be able to score good Hurst shifters for ten to twenty bucks off eBay. Sure, they'd be missing parts and linkage, but anybody with some scrap steel, a hacksaw and a drill can get around that. Sadly, that supply seems to have all but dried up.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Neither of the shifters listed by the OP is even worth their trouble to try and install; he will be dissatisfied with them. Look for as complete a good/used Hurst Synchro-Loc or Mastershift, and go from there. Even an old Mystery Shifter is better than those he listed. Speed shops used to keep a box of spare Hurst shifter parts; the one we "used" to have, would ask you to bring back any spare parts from the shifter/kit, and trade you other small parts for them. Then they'd sell out of the box for cheap. Then the speed shop moved, and now the newer location has closed. E-Bay is about all that's left, but you have to have a good idea of what parts you need to assemble your own shifter. All my stuff, shifter-wise, is limited to GM/Chevrolet, but I have several complete NOS Ansen and Hurst kits, and a bunch of used stuff. It's worth it to put together something of quality, rather than the junk the offshore, lower end shifters are. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Torkwrench likes this.
  11. Thanks for the help guys. I have a Hurst Indy shifter I got from a swap meet was going to try and make that work but if the Hurst Synchro-loc is the better choice with the OD I will try and get that one. Those kits I posted looked like they were pretty much bolt on with some figuring out what brackets and configuration would work best.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt if you will be able to find ANYTHING current for an overdrive transmission. Chose the one you like, (the Syncro-Lock is probably the best of the bunch), but you are going to have to modify it and, most likely the transmission tunnel if you want to use it.

13. Do you think I will have to modify the shifter itself or just make a bracket and levers maybe turn the transmission levers up and modify the trans tunnel.

There’s a syncro-loc on eBay I could get

14. How about these? I have both for sale in the parts section now, you will just have to search for them or PM me.

Attached Files:

15. The Hurst Indy shifter I have but I like the kit, just looking for the best one to go with the OD trans

16. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Syncro lock on a T-85 o/d, and a Mystery shifter on a T-86 o/d, both years ago. The difference is the mounting bracket, not the shifter, as I recall. 50+ years later it’s tough to recall, but I’m going to say the shifter moved up 2-3-4 inches to clear the solenoid or governor on the o/d unit. The rods might have been modified due to that, I don’t recall. One vehicle had a console (59 bird) and all I needed was a flat plate for the boot. On the 55 bird with the T-85 (yes, they fit if you don’t know they won’t) I made a little sheet metal “box” to bolt to the tunnel and the boot went on that. It does effect the height of the shift knob, so you might have to shorten the shift lever to suit.

I had more SyncroLocks, never had another Mystery shifter if that tells you something.

1949 mercury likes this.
  17. deucemac

deucemac

If George could come back from the dead, he would kill the idiot that marketed the Indy shifter under the Hurst name. As said before a good syncro-lock or what they call it now, Mastershifter are the way to go. All the others wear and will cause missed shifts and trans damage eventually. The only non-Hurst shifter I knew that was good was the old DragFast Cal 7000 shifter, Every once in a while one shows up on EBay or some site, but they have been out of production for many years. Plus, Hurst still has rebuild parts for the syncro-loc/Mastershifters should you buy a used one in need of repair.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    1949 mercury likes this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Generally speaking, the shifters for overdrive 3 speeds have to mount "higher up" to clear the solenoid, and the rods tend to be more "bent". One of my NOS Hurst's is for the old Muncie 319 3 speed overdrive used in the 55-65 Chevrolet's (later in trucks to 72 I believe); then I have some of the pieces to assemble another shifter for the same transmission.. More bracketry is needed to mount the shifter solidly, and the shifter higher on the transmission. Finding the correct brackets will be the hardest part, and you should probably just make your own. An Indy shifter is NOT what you need; it's really nothing more than a universal fit shifter, meant to fit many different makes and models, will be clumsy and prone to jamming after a while. I'm going to guess the shifter is for the Mercury in your avatar? E-Bay is a good source for almost everything you need, you just have to be vigilant, and then your local steel supply vendor to make what you can't find new/used. Do an internet search with your IPS provider for "images of Hurst shifters with overdrive transmissions"; it'll give you an idea of how/what you need to fabricate or look for. Exactly where are you located? If you're in the Clearview area, then you're not very far from me; I'll give you one of my used Hurst Synchro-Loc shifter towers to get you started. Just get in touch with me through a PM. I recently gave "RaginPineapple" an old NOS Spark-O-Matic shifter for his 4 door 57 Chevrolet. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod and The 39 guy like this.
  19. I picked up a synchro-loc shifter from 56sedandelivery last night thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I think we will be able to get this to work. Thanks everyone for the help.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another W in the HAMB column!

1Nimrod likes this.