Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help! No Start 1956 Chevy Cameo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigBoltChevy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. BigBoltChevy

BigBoltChevy

I just bought this cameo and still have not managed to get it started. Im trying to hunt down the cause of my no start condition. I just replaced the ignition switch, I have continuity from the solenoid to switch, etc. Can someone tell me if the Condenser is suppose to be connected to the Negative or Positive post on the coil. I'm getting just a click from the solenoid, but not firing. Next up is to perhaps replace the coil and condenser and dizzy, but I want to make sure I at least have it wired right.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Markgyver

Markgyver

Negative side.... Replace that wiring before you burn your truck to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

(Rhetorical question) Why do people do that? Repairing a wire is one of the easiest things to do.

BigBoltChevy likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

that might be the radio intereference condenser, which you really don't need. It would be connected to + on the coil.

The ignition condenser is inside the distributor, it is connected to the points and the negative terminal on the coil.

Is the engine being turned by the starter motor? or is it just clicking? hard to tell from your description.

BigBoltChevy likes this.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

“Doesn’t start” is a pretty big target. Instead, describe exactly what it *does* do. That’ll help narrow down where to look.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigBoltChevy likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Battery condition? Clean grounds and connections? Points opening? New condenser (you'd be surprised how often they're bad)? Starter motor brushes in good shape (solenoid sounds like it's working, but could possibly use flipping the internal posts around to be safe/make full contact)? Getting fuel (good fuel)? Getting spark at the plugs? All that, and it should at least "fire off", but may not "run". The distributor does't look to be "set" in right; going to be hard to adjust the points from outside the cap; or is it just W-A-Y over-advanced? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

BigBoltChevy and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

x 10 on that wiring. It looks like a problem(s) waiting to happen. I think if you repair the wiring like it is supposed to be will give you peace of mind. You do not want to have problems on the side of the interstate etc etc .

BigBoltChevy and Early Ironman like this.
  8. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Make sure your getting the full 12+ volts to the coil when the ignition is on. By the looks of the wiring, that may be an issue in addition to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigBoltChevy likes this.