Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Traditional Hot Rod... Tractor??!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Satyr

Satyr

"Speedy too" what is there not to like about it, just a kewl tractor!

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There's a purpose for that styling... These are ORCHARD TRACTORS. They are used in orchards to get close to the trees without snapping branches.. Here's a John Deere version

Attached Files:

czuch likes this.
  3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Most interesting thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. Still no
    And additional cowling and skirts doesn't look like the original example.
    image.png image.jpeg

tractorguy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of those subjects that brings up the emotion levels around here. As in tractor stuff is not acceptable on traditional Hotrods. I am okay with the use of tractor parts that make the creative blend.

Did it happen back in the day...I think it did...because some of the parts had a style that caught the creativeness of some in slapping together a Jalopy and there has been some talk of and visual proof of...

All the designers in industry were keenly aware of each others evolving...

Your absolutely right that part of the creation of that tractor was to offer the luxury of the automobile to the customer. Unfortunately that come at a cost...Higher price-tag and minimal sales. Timing may have been the biggest problem as in wrong economic times.

I am happy to see the tolerance of factory offered Automobiles and Machinery here as it was all part of the big ball of influence that spun the hobby we are enjoying here. So yes that's not really a Traditional Hotrod but more a Cadillac of Tractors.

I will say some farmers probably teased owners and called it names back in the day when it was introduced an may have referred to it in a crass way as a "Hows the Hotrod doin in the field?"

@Jive-Bomber thanks for sharing the influences.

6. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Our local "hot rod tractor" is an M International with a 392 of the same make V8. There's also an 8N with a flatty just down the road as well. IMG_3131.JPG

flatheadpete and crashfarmer like this.
  7. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I sat in one of those Comfortactors at a Minneapolis-Moline tractor reunion up by Charles City Iowa about a quarter of a century ago. They were quite the rig back in the late 30's but my Grandpa bought a new Allis Chalmers flat top WC in 1938 that he traded on a new styled WC in 1942, we still own the 42.

We have a hot rod tractor, a Massey Ferguson 85 with a Ford FE engine. I haven't looked up the numbers to see what year the tractor is but they were manufactured from 1959 to 1962. The casting numbers on the engine indicate that it's a 1960 FE and it's a 4 barrel so I'm thinking possibly a 352 or I suppose it could be an Edsel 361? I wanted to throw an old 360 FE out of a pickup in it just to get it running but my brother wants to use the FE that's in it if he possibly can so it still has the future project status.

s55mercury66 likes this.
  8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

One of my local thrift stores had a 6V coil that was Ford manufacture. In a ford box. NOS.
    Said 8-9-N tractor. Gotta love 1/2 off day. I got it for $2.50.
    It wasn't on the sale list for an hour before I had a bidding war going.
    Its good to know whats valuable..

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER