Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. X2. can not get enough of this tech.:)

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boring, nah, this is like going camping with John Force!

3. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

The Nitro tech is what
    keeps me interested!!

hendelec, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  4. Ok then. I will keep it coming. Im never sure if its getting old or boring. I have been around nitro for along time so most of the stuff posted is my normal. If it gets to be too much someone let me know. I dont know it all and still have alot to learn. There are many ways to do what im doing. Some i do the way i was taught some i shoot from the hip. The upcoming weeks are going to be the prep and assemble of the engine. I might get a little deeper into that. Its not like building a sbc. Thanks for everyones interest.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thank you for being willing to take the time to share your knowledge with us!

6. Budget36

Budget36

Brian, I used to buy HR magazine and read every article page to page several time, and for the most part,I've never built a vehicle like what I read about. No blowers, no 1000 HP engines, etc,but I still enjoyed reading about hem. That's why every time your thread comes up, I read it.

I'll never run a Nitro engine, probably never even a Hemi, but I enjoy the education I am getting reading your updates.

In effect, this thread is my new HR magazine.

hendelec, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brian it's all your fault I turned in to a nitro afx junkie I've had 3 afx cars planning on another one in the somewhat near future and I've dabbled with nitro but not on my own stuff so I am very interested in what you say and yes I want to run nitro in my next afx and yes it'll be a hemi but probly not with a blower at least to start with anyway lol so keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Shivasdad i can tell you how i did it. I was running a 64 plymouth at the time. It was a killer injected alch wedge that went mid 9s. It was so dialed in it was boring. Winning money bracket racing really wasnt fun. I needed more exitement. I was at a mopar event at the old st.louis track standing at the starting line when my friend fred englehardt fired up his blown awb 65 ply. I had never been by anything like that. The seed was planted right there. Moving forward a few years fred told me the mcdonalds 65 awb car was for sale. I had two kids in diapers; house and truck payments. I pitched my wife on a exhibition car i could run and get payed to do it. I cashed in my life insurance policy. Sold the 64 and borrowed a grand from my brother. By that saturday the car was mine. We went from blown alch to nitro in two years. It was a huge risk that payed off. Im not sure i would do it that way again or recommend it to anyone else. All i can say is it got me in the game. I wouldnt give up those times for anything. I was in my mid 20s at the time. I set up the car with the starter on the crank support so my wife just needed to tow me to the line and plug in the car. Both kids were seat belted in the car seats in the truck. As a family we went all over the midwest and east coast. One race on the east coast it was so hot we bought a cheap kiddy pool for the kids to play in while i worked on the car. The table i had t shirts for sale on was also the kids play house. Great family fun. It was hard to do at the time. I was alot younger then. I would work on the car with a baby monitor on in the shop during the kids nap time. I did anything to get a little car time. When my son got old enough to start helping out he was right there along my side. When he was old enough to race a jr dragster i bought a used car and had it painted and lettered like my dodge. I built a rack in the trailer to stack the cars. Several times we took both cars to tracks out of state for him to make passes. He even raced at george rays. He was a touring racer at age ten. Due to my wifes job i had the kids under my care three nights a week and all weekend. We learned to adapt and make due. Looking back I dont know how but we did it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Still following along.And enjoying every bit of it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. I can relate to this statement , thats what I am doing right now. And I am just a nobody, trying to keep my junk in one piece and race. :rolleyes:;):)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  11. dniemi

dniemi

I like to follow your posts and find them very interesting. Keep them coming.

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Heck I enjoyed post #2719 as much as any on the HAMB but I am a huge RATC fan so does my feedback even count.
    Keep the tech coming this is the edge of your seat thread anyway.

chryslerfan55, hendelec and racer-x like this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'd be happy w/all the nitro tech. :D . Where else would I learn? This is the best thread on here. Thanks for the posts & detailed info.
    Marcus...

14. loudbang

loudbang

DON'T STOP you are a great instructor and many of us could not learn this anywhere else. It's like an advanced course in NITRO.

15. We are set for drag week 20180303_135806.jpg registration in two minutes.

chryslerfan55, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  16. We are in for 2018. My son ran the computer for me with a perfect reation time. We are number 139 unlimited class. While it was a huge relief to get a spot to the big dance as soon as i saw i made it i can hear and feel the clock ticking. Tick tick tick. Its really more like boom boom boom. Another kind of stress came over me like a big wave. While the race is in september it still doesnt give us alot of time to do what we need to do. Whats going to happen and how we will do and what kind of stories we come back with is yet to be determined. Here we go again. I cant wait. 20180303_140448.jpg

17. Its a new record for 2018. It was sold out in five minutes.

loudbang and Johnboy34 like this.
  18. Looking forward to seeing you guys in September. Enjoy following your adventures. Admire the dedication.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  19. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

You didn't lose me. Nitro fascinates me. If you ever want to write about the street driven side of the fuel injection I would really like that.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. The street side is very basic. I run a msd distributor with the advance locked out. The fast xfi-2 ecu controls the timing and fuel map. Its uses a msd crank trigger. The sensors are basic air inlet temp; map; iac; tps; water temp; fuel pressure. I run four injection dynamics 210 pound injectors. The regulator is set at 37 lbs. The fuel pump and regulator are weldon brand. The pre and post filters are kinsler. A number 12 line feeds the pump. Number 10 line goes to the regulator. Number 8 is used for the return and vent. The tank is 18 gallons. Max timing with the 354 was 31 degrees. Under boost 24 degrees. I run a hilborn filter in the scoop. That should cover it. If i missed something let me know.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    How many track notebooks have you filled up over the years?
    I suppose nowadays it's done on a tablet or laptop.

22. This thread is heavy only on the horsepower. If that bores someone out, well.... uhhh... never mind.
    We should pay you keep us posted.

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Hoping to see you make a full pass some time this year. I got to Meltdown last year just in time for the throttle failure.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. I do keep notes. On the efi side tune ups are stored in the lap top. A different tune up is only a key stroke away. On the nitro side i keep notes on my time slips. Once i get the tune up the way i want i dont change it much.

Dave i signed up for the meltdown again. I plan on being there. Stop by and say hi. We are looking for differet results this time.

Tim, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will give this a bump back to the top.
    Had a question on your gasket supplier.
    Was curious if they make 409 head gaskets and in different thickness.

loudbang likes this.
  26. i use cometic. call 1-800-752-9850 ask for mickey hale. he will have the answer. a little known fact is they make copper head gaskets. the copper gaskets can be used multiple times. the valve cover gaskets are like nothing i have ever seen. they have a piece of metal sandwiched inside. serious pieces that can be used multiple times without tearing or pushing out. every pass i do requires the valve covers to come off. the pan comes on a regular basis. needless to say i need the best money can buy.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I searched there website but didn't see what I was looking for.
    I will give him a call.
    Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  28. i sent them examples of what i needed and they made custom pieces for me. i used a set of modified stock gaskets in to the size and shape i needed. mickey is a good guy and easy to talk to good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  29. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

Thank you Brian for the EFI info. I'm building a blown 392 and I really want to inject it for street driving instead of carbs. I'm so old school the computer programming is really intimidating. Any thing you can recommend for research and reading?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

Here is my..... quick, he's going to make a pass, crummy cell phone video. Hauling ass.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018