Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes, you really can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by statesblue, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Red, White, and Blue Baby!!!!
    [​IMG]

slim38 and shadetreerodder like this.
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy

Congratulations on completing your car lots of guys don't. Go out and have fun drive the wheels of it. Great colour combination and looks. It's good to see people till sticking to the "traditional route" of home built, hunting for parts and general inventiveness. Steel or glass does it really matter these days it's all about building something you like and if other gearheads appreciate your efforts that's fine.

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

beautiful car you have every right to be proud

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Nice car, and the first thing that struck me is how nice the upholstery is.
    I have a bit of anxiety about upholstery because it's something I've never tackled, and I hear the material can cost a small fortune.

That's great to be able to use recycled leather. The leather looks great, and would be my first choice in colour.

5. 392

Looks kick ass. Great job.

6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Looks good to me.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just a great looking hot rod.
    It’s 1969 all over again.
    Not a lot of people can say they have built everything on a Hotrod. I like the color, seats and bitchen 283.

rjones35 likes this.
  8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Ya done good, Son!

czuch likes this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff.Snowman

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your car has definitely has“the look”......Enjoy!

zzford likes this.
  11. Beautiful car and outstanding job on the build , especially doing all yourself in your garage... That is exactly what being traditional is all about... Traditionally , hotrodders always built what they could with what they had... It wasnt til much later that this goofy pissin contest about real/glas/repro distorted the true definition of hotrodding...
    Just my $0.02 worth..
    Stan

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I was at a friends shop a few years ago and he had these sample's of recycled leather. The look and feel was amazing. Even the back side looked like real leather. Apparently they take old handbags and couches and grind up the leather and bond it with other compounds to produce the product. I bought two yards to upholster a barbers chair but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm thinking it was under $20 a yard at the time and took a few weeks to get it ordered.
    http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/91891.aspx

13. catdad49

catdad49

You get it! You had a vision, a plan and you got it Done! Plus, it's got the look. Now...............about those Red rims!? Any chance for a 1st drive video?

14. Very nice. Great job. I love it! :)

15. mopar57

mopar57

Looks real good awesome job

16. I got an idea that you ought to go back and edit your original post. Don't tell us its glass and we will never know the difference. ;)

Good looking car and great choice on engine and transmission. :cool:

17. zzford

zzford

Thank goodness for 'glass cars ! There would a LOT less people being able to fulfill their dreams without them. Besides, fiberglass don't rust.

czuch likes this.
  18. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Have a stripper paint "OLD GLORY" on the trunk lid, with a small Uncle Sam.

19. LBCD

LBCD

That’s a beautiful car!!!

Just be careful with the bonded leather...if that’s what it is, it will peel off the backing just had to cut up a bonded sectional.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

zzford likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stripper:p

deadbeat and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya done good! :)

22. I like it. Hard to beat Washington Blue on a roadster.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 years well spent in my opinion. Great roadster! I would like to see that first drive video as well.

24. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Thanks to all for the good vibes. It is very humbling to read your praises but the end result is only part of the story.

In July of 08 I was living in the Prescott Az area working for Yavapai Community Collage. My good friend Mark came in and handed me the July issue of Hot Rod and said I needed to read an article about 2 cousins who built a 32 roadster for a little over $11,000.00. Wow, I could do that...

Fast forward to 2012 and a move back to NE Pa. because of a family health issue. Unfortunately it ended up with the passing of my Brother-in-law.

Its now 2013 and I'm finally getting things in order from the move and I came across the 10/08 article. Decided to pursue the build as a retirement project so in December of that year I bought a glass 32 body from a guy in Minnesota.

Now its January 2014 and My friend and I did a road trip up to Minneapolis to pick up the body and came home 26 1/2 hours in a snow storm. Quit a trip. Stored the body in my Sisters garage and the frame rails in my basement because all I had was a small 10x19 garage on my property. I will get to the build eventually.

Now its September 1st of that year and we started ripping the small garage down to make room for a 24x26 garage. Keep in mind the garage is being built by me. Concrete, block work, framing, all of it.

The building was up for Christmas of 2014 and I finished up the interior in February 2015.

The second week of March the project finally got under way. Built a frame table and away I went.

So here it is the last week of February 2018 and I have a done 32 roadster.

I did everything on the car except making the drive shaft. All this for a little over $11,000.00

Just want to say, its been a fun build and I suppose it just goes to show "Yes you can IMG_20180227_083536232.jpg

25. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

You should have a big SMILE every time you crank it. A pat on the back for a job well done, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

26. Both sides do have merit and it's a debate. Is it better to be a male or female, cats or dogs, batman or superman, old or young, steel or glass, Chevy or Ford.

Cosmo49 and deadbeat like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You missed your chance Danny ;)
    You should have told him it's a shame you wouldn't want it, I was looking for someone to give it to. :D

Just Gary likes this.
  28. Nice Hotrod!

29. Mike

Mike

Good lookin' machine.

30. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Nice! Better you getting to enjoy your glass body than all the steel ones out there that are sitting.

deadbeat, WTF really and robracer1 like this.