Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford 3 Window with 389 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ken The Coug, Feb 16, 2018.

1. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

You have the ultimate hot rod time capsule with the advantage of having your Dad to fill in all the details. My vote is for exactly as the 1960 pictures and go with an early Olds engines. I wish I had some of the old hot rods my Dad had built in his younger days. They weren't brand loyal back then, the biggest, baddest engine in whatever was the cheapest and lightest vehicle you could find. You are truly blessed to not only have your Dad, but, his old hot rod as well!!!! I'm subscribed and wish you and your Dad the best.

Finn Jensen, Tony Martino and enloe like this.
  2. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Ok 3rd guy to give me a pound sand price of 8K plus to rebuild engine. I like the shop and the old guys in it, the price really doesn't turn me off as much as the lack of any real interest it the build. I guess the Micro Soft and Amazon guys with really deep pockets make for easier more profitable builds. I am sure these guys are good people that think I am just a lookiee loo, but I know in my heart they never really looked at the engine. I like the Pontiac engine and I am a Coug fan so disappointment is nothing new. Bright side, a HAMB member saltracer219 is trying to hook me up. A couple of ugly spot photos of the areas that need some work. My bumpers are unique although I loved the chrome bumpers on this rig that was in the shop I dropped off my engine in. Boy they had some eye candy. I tell ya the more I get the not interested in your engine the more determined I get. I see I can buy the "delux" rebuild kit off ebay for 1600.00 I am going to rebuild this engine, it may go in project car #3 30's era Ford Truck in 10 years but it will run again. Question on this 287, can I upgrade this block to a 317 or 347 Pontiac? Either engine would be a signifgant increase in horse power 85 to 90 hp. Since the re build kits are roughly the same price and include most every thing wouldn't it mainly be increase in cost at the machine shop? I am way off track? Looking for a win-win in period correct and horse power. H2.jpg H3.jpg H4.jpg H1.jpg h5.jpg

3. It's a shame you are getting dickered on the engine rebuild price.
    Maybe that's a sign you should buy a running Olds for $1000, and
    get the car going.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything about the bumpers or door hinge
    area that i'd be doing anything with right away.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I'm with the "Buy a running Olds, throw it in there and have fun" camp. Those pictures from your dad are awesome. I wouldn't change a thing.

5. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

The story on this car continues to get better and better.

Keep up the great work!

Ken The Coug and loudbang like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I believe I’d go with a 1000-1500 dollar Olds engine too. But the Pontiac is also good.
    Now if those bumpers in the above post is on your dads car, do not. And I mean do not change them.
    They are cool as hell.
    Sure you’ll find all kinds of cool do dads on other 32’s.
    Nothing and I mean nothing is as cool as the stuff hanging off your car. It is a literal time capsule that everyone else is trying to emulate.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

8. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

I did call on it. Got the details and then called my Dad. His was a 51 303 Olds but very close as this was a 324. Thanks for the call out on it. Chances are I will not being going the Olds route after talking it over with pops. The retro fit would be extensive as would the upgrades to the engine to make it close to the one that was in it. I don't have the skills, knowledge or time. Dad's opinion is Pontiac or newer Ford. I just want to give a shout out to everyone who has chimed in, I know more about this car and a ton more about my dad. It has been a little tough on my dad because in my family we never let the "facts" ruin a good story. (700hp) So the stories change a little when I pester him for details. The Pontiac engine started as a 389 out of a GTO, (I think that was his real wish for this car in the 60's) then it changes to a Pontiac 277 then the numbers tell the real story of it being a 1955 287. Another cool update, my dads best friend who had the shop back then, and worked on the car with him, has a son who lives near me. The son does interiors and is going work with me to redo the interior just as it is in the pictures. We are arranging a work weekend for the old guys and the young bucks to hang out and work on the car. Found one last side shot of the car. Working on 2 more leads for North West Pontiac Racing guys to keep/upgrade the 287 t1.jpg

9. That will be epic.
    Id hire a video crew to capture every single second of that.
    Don't ask me why, just do it.

Tim_with_a_T, greaser and loudbang like this.
  10. That shop above is sick!
    Do they do any thing in there or just puts around on keeping it clean

loudbang likes this.
  11. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

I would not spend $8000 especially when your dad spent $10 to buy it just cause some people think it cool. Obviously your dad is a budget conscious guy and I think your dad would be more proud that you saved money plus he approved a Ford in a Ford. I would just buy a rebuilt 302. You can pick one up for $2500 that makes 300HP. If you are worried about being period correct use a 60's 302 and put old valve covers and an intake on it from the 60's. My car had a 65 289 in it when I bought it and I was going to rebuild it but it was going to cost way more to get the same horse power. I ended up picking up a 2001 ford explorer junk yard motor (which was actually in really great shape, I could have just tossed it in there and I only paid $450) that was all roller internals and had better flowing heads. It looks exactly the same and runs great. I think I was at $2300 (I had a custom cam and the valve springs beefed up) out the door including the junk yard motor. One last thing. Do what makes you happy with your car. Its yours. Everyone always has an opinion on what they would do.....do what you want to....I am sure that is what your dad would want. I have two sons (age 5 and 7) and when I am old I could care less if they added things to make it suite them. I would actually be happy that they have an interest in it. They both love my car and asks for me to take them for rides in it all the time. I am sure they will remember that for the rest of their lives. Honestly I would just do whatever it takes to get your dad for a ride in it. He isn't going to be staring down at the motor. He is going to be staring at the road with a big smile on his face. Something you will remember forever.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

I wish you were closer. If you just want that Pontiac to run like your dad intended my friend would do it for a fraction of $8000. This was locked up similar to yours.
    IMG_20170402_141059793.jpg

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The '55 Olds 324 is the same motor as the 303. It would fit right back where the 303 was. No physical difference at all.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    A: this pic is awesome!
    B: it reminds me of @Roadsir ‘s “Just Steve” 3w
    [​IMG]
    Although his it not channeled you could be doing this before you know it. So keep on chugging.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The Olds is cheap, runs good, and is in your area. It's as close to a bolt in deal as you're likely to find. You could have a running engine in the car inside of a week, for under a grand. That seems tempting to me, but it's your dime.

The 324 moved a 55 Olds well enough to be a fast car for the time, it will make that Deuce a ton of fun. Another early Pontiac (or your 287) would be cool, but how much more are you going to drive around town looking for someone to build it?

I have to caution you on a SBF. If you get everything from one car, you're golden. If you try to piece it together, it will be a nightmare. Off the top of my head, you have to deal with:
    28oz versus 50oz imbalance crankshaft and flywheel
    Front, mid, and rear sump pan and pickup
    Matching bellhousing depth to trans input shaft length
    Standard or reverse rotation water pump
    7/16 or 1/2 head bolts
    Accessory drives and brackets are different for nearly every Ford car

Carter likes this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Another vote to "restore" the car to it's 1960 greatness! If you start changing up character stuff like the bumpers, add disc brakes, etc., it'll start to look like all the 32 3/w's on the road. If you go a step or two further and drop a SBC in it, people will assume it's another all new (Brookville) build, plus we'll tar & feather you!
    The car, pictures absolutely rule. Get a decent runner engine, then look for a rebuildable core. Do all the work yourself (minus any machine work). These 5 figure engine build prices are ridiculous.
    The garage rules too. Dorman hardware drawers to the ceiling. I'd never come out of there.

Petejoe and Tony Martino like this.
  17. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at the Motor That Paul is giving away in the classifieds .Talk to Paul.Don't screw this up kid.If you put a small block ford in this timepiece you will forever be haunted by the forces unseen.Pontiac or Olds.Early

18. How could you not put it back just like those pictures???

302s are for mustangs man! ;)

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What these guys are trying to say is"don't lose the history the car has"

There are so few actual real original 50-60's hot rods left. Don't wreck one just to keep up with what the local coffee shop morons are telling you you need based on what they saw on tv last night.

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

And as a guy who is putting a tall deck Windsor(408) disguised as a 260 or 289 in his traditional 32 pickup.
    I will say this isn’t the easiest routes. Hey I’m alright with a Ford in Ford but to be true full most don’t find it very cool or even interesting.
    And yes you have to build what you want to be happy.
    You are standing on the cusp of a decision that can have your car be a timeless gem or another pass it by dud. Either will be fun but most of us can’t wax poetic with enough depth to express what staying true to its early build theme will invoke.
    I love Pontiac powered hot rods and am planning a 389 model A three more down the pipeline but an Olds will be just as bad to the bone in yours.
    I’m thinking if you can’t get your engine quickly resembled by yourself, friends, or HAMB helpers than getting a running Olds or Pontiac like others have suggested will be quite efficient for time and money.
    I’m posting so much only because your car and story is righteous man.

383deuce, Petejoe, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  21. Hood tops only IMHO. Gotta show off That Olds! ;)

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Your wife ever been in a vehicle with a cowl vent? Ya don't need AC
    But for style points add a small wire basket the hangs below the vent that will hold two beer cans and some ice! Muti purpose.

Jet96, dwollam, ring gap and 2 others like this.
  23. Light weight aluminum held down with leather hood straps

brEad likes this.
  24. These examples show what are appropriate era wise.

IMG_1595.JPG jpb-LLC-5-13-4.jpg

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell yeah hoods rule!
    I’m using original Henry 4 piece with lots of louvers on my Tudor and two piece tops on the PU.
    I have to ask why the Mrs. is adamant about you using them, struck me as strange, and no I’m not sexist. Although my wife wanted me to not chop mine and now it’s approaching 7”.

383deuce and Ken The Coug like this.
  26. It only takes a few minutes to remove/replace the hood on my 34...but to answer your questions regarding the Pontiac engine:
    Yes, a 317 or a 347 will interchange with no changes. If you saw my earlier post, it says any Pontiac V/8 up to and including 1960, 389 will be a bolt-in deal [and look like a 55, 287] for you but remember...if you keep that fragile early ford drivetrain, the Pontiac motor will reduce it to leetle pieces of iron. 34bodyoff.jpg

27. AmishMike

AmishMike

What happened in 1960 that prevents later year 389 or 400 pontiacs being a bolt in? Ran a400 with small shot of ( non HAMB ) n2o for a year. When rebuilt found bearings like brand new. Great engine with HP.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maybe on the hood, they're easy to remove. Why do you need a hood on it "for when it's sitting in the garage"?

No on the auto trans. Check.

No on the A/C-that's Street Rod and daily driver stuff. The Wife will survive a few warm rides in the Coupe.

I feel like we're all trying to talk you down off the "I'm determined to modernize a legit survivor Hot Rod" ledge. I hope you "get it" and come down from the ledge.

29. Ryan said it best earlier in the thread.

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Seems like a fine response to me, well said.
    It is very hard to read tone and tenor online. I mess it up all the time. Another reason to stray away from anything but positive comments or harmless nothings.
    You don’t need our approval but we love to give it.
    Keep us posted.
    Wyatt over and out.