Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Long Island '34 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Long Island '34 Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

bonesy, oldtymehiboy and Sancho like this.
  2. flamingokid

flamingokid

My first car T-shirt was a '34 and I've loved them ever since.I actually like the windshield, but I've redone a few vintage speedboats,so I like that connection.As for the Continental kit, I'm undecided.My golf clubs would appreciate the extra room ;)

3. @Chris this thread is calling!

Chris likes this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

As @Speedy Canuck mentioned the first roadster that comes to mind these day is @Chris 's car. His is perfect in every sense.

As far as the one in this post, other than a ride height adjustment, it looks great as is.

Chris likes this.

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a classy roadster. Over and over again I´m amazed that a 34 will look crazy good as a drag car, salt car, hot rod, full fendered, high boy, channeled, taildragger, custom... I think it would take a real moron to fuck one up... let´s hope I won´t be the one, hahahaa

6. This has always been my favorite 34 roadster. And probably one of my all time favorite cars

6E1E97F2-C201-4326-8A3C-BD82C4DEDE8A.jpeg

rpm56, bonesy, Xtrom and 4 others like this.
  7. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

My favorite. This all steel body was so good, I couldn't bring myself to change it. Made a couple of changes between wheels, tires & hood.

Attached Files:

rpm56 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  8. Hey thanks! I am doing my car capture one of my favorite eras in hotrodding, and I am glad other guys dig it.

cactus1 and Rolleiflex like this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

2BFC60F6-2A07-4573-8688-79200885EA24.jpeg I’m kinda partial to the lower one ;). I admire really the evolution of the Art Deco style that Edsel and FoMoCo designers/stylists put into these offerings.
    It is truly amazing as with many of the Automobiles of this era. It was 30 years before me but what a great sight it is to see these great automotive works of art cruising around.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    longhorizon, bonesy, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

My first love was for my avatar at age 10. Owned by a high school friend of my Brother. Car was for sale when I was 14, but Dad said no, not practical. Over the past 12 years I have collected all the parts to build it. Never could find what happened to original car. It sits on my frame jig, patiently awaiting me to assemble it. I love 34 Roadsters. BTW my Father let me buy a 36 Convertible when I was 15. Go figure. scan0049.jpg

11. You are so right Kevin...this roadster is the cat ass!!!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  12. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

13. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

14. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

IMG_20150[1739].jpg Gibbon body, Henry fenders, hood and boards, 327, 4 spd. been driven from Sioux Falls, SD. to the LARS twice so far. Owner is building a full fendered Brookville Deuce roadster, has two Grandsons, Little bastards will probably inherit them. Kevin wouldn't adopt me cuz I'm ten years older than him. Oh well!!!

catdad49 and Roadsir like this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm rather partial to the 33, and many may argue how they're the same car. Nope. In the name of total disclosure my partiality comes from the closed versions, coupes and sedans. It starts with the doors as Henry's engineers put those cool "vent" side windows in where the door glass kicks back 1st, then drops as needed. Sadly that put a strip of sheetmetal right in the window opening that really mullers up the proportions. Well to me it does. Then there's the grille. Fat n flat. Some love that, and it does go with the straight commercial-ish hood louvers and double latches. I know, I know, I'm a picky bitch of a car guy, no? 33s had it going on as everything just had a seemless flow from front to back using graceful curves to accent it's look of motion while standing still.

But, Ryan, DUDE, you had me on the feature and I was feeling it. Then you said it, those words that are 40 grit or nails on a chalkboard. "Continental Kit". Seriously? I didn't know there was a Continental in 34. Until it became a staple feature practically exclusive to the new Lincoln Continental, in 1940-48 when all the other spares were in the trunk with a select few still in the front fenders, it was simply standard fare to hang the spare out back. I admit that this more me personally, detailed in my observations and period nomenclature, as much as my detailed preference for 33 vs 34. Maybe this is a PSA that prior to the postwar era there was no such thing. It's akin to calling every hot rod a roadster regardless of body style. Well at least to me it is, sorry to be a bitch but...

Flowmeister likes this.

16. I’m the opposite, I prefer the 34 over 33’s. I like the chunkier grill as it is more “hotrod” to me. I do think a 33 is more elegant and classier, but as a hot rod, for me its 34 all day long

That said, I wouldn’t kick either out of bed. I like them both and would build a 33 as a 33 and a 34 as a 34. I just happen to have two 34’s.

5DCE8998-3CDA-49C6-A8C1-67375D34744E.jpeg

17. F-head

F-head

I too like the tougher look of the 34 vs more dainty 33 grill
    lucky for me I have 2 34's also

Chris likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure dainty is a totally fair description for a 33. Classy, svelte, sweeping, unobtrusive, etc. The 34 looks fairly close to a 35 in chrome. Not the same, close.

19. longhorizon

longhorizon

So, given that I'm on Long Island, I have to ask the question - what's the Long Island connection? A little history please...

20. jimvette59

jimvette59

Lived on LI all my life . Built a 34 3w coupe in the 70s . Jim Tringali.