Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Photo Storage and Editing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charlie Stephens, Feb 25, 2018.

1. With the PhotoBucket experience still fresh it might be a good time for this topic. I have never used an online hosting service nor felt the need to do so. The initial post tells how I store and edit photos. I have a desktop MAC and an iPhone 6s and this is written from that perspective, I hope the PC guys will jump in and give their version.

The MAC comes with a program called Photos as part of its baseline software. It has the icon shown in the picture
    IMG_7463.jpg
    (this icon should appear at the bottom of the screen). To add photos into the Photos Library from an iPhone enter the password into the iPhone to open it. Connect the iPhone into any USB port on the computer (using the same cord that is used to charge the phone) and Photos will open to a Library, which is what they call the storage location. A screen will show what photos have already been loaded (if any) and ask what to do with the new photos. For my camera card it was necessary to buy a card reader from the photo store. It connects to the MAC using a USB cord. Insert a camera card in the card reader and it opens Photos and asks what to load into the computer. There may be an icon consisting of a triangle and a line below it following the name of the device (like EOS_DIGITAL) that has been connected. Any time this icon appears it is necessary to click on the icon before removing the device to be sure it is not in the process of transferring data before removing the device. The icon will disappear when it is clicked. If it is necessary to load photos from a desktop or a thumb drive that the computer doesn’t recognize open Photos by clicking Photos icon, within Photos go to the menu bar click “File” and then click “Import”. It will tell what to do from there. A slightly off topic comment is that it is possible to make a copy of the computer screen by pressing “command, shift, 3”, there will be a sound like a camera clicking and an image of the screen will be added to the desktop. This image can be handled as any other photo on the desktop. The default for the Photos program is to store all photos in one location called a Library. Within the Library all of the photos are sorted by the date they were taken. Some photos show the wrong date (and therefore will be sorted incorrectly) because the camera used to take them didn’t have the date set properly or they are a scan of an old photo in which case the date of the scan will appear. It is possible to change the date on the photo by going to the bar at the top of the page and selecting “Image” and then “Adjust Date, Time, Location”. If it is desired to sort the photos in the Library use the “Album” feature. Go to “Help” at the top of the page and enter “album”. Photos can be dragged from the main Library and dropped into separate albums. Within an album the photos can be dragged around to put them in the desired order. The photos will remain the Library if added or deleted the albums. Editing photos within an album will edit the photo in the main Library. Albums might be a good way to track builds. I also have an album for frequently used photos to save time by not having to look for them each time I need them. It is also possible to set up additional Libraries. Before clicking the Photos icon, pluging in the iPhone or inseringt a camera card to enter Photos press the option key and hold it down. A screen will come up prompting to create a new Library or change to another Library that already exists. Note that each Library is totally independent. To add the same photo to two Libraries it is necessary to add the photo to each Library separately. Changing or deleting a photo from one Library will not change or delete it in the other Library. It is cumbersome to move a photo from one Library to another. Don’t set up too many. I have one for “Family Photos” and one for “Cars and Parts” photos. I also have one called “trash” where I can go in and play without worrying about affecting important photos.

Once the pictures are in Photos it is possible to do minor (compared to Photoshop) editing. Double click on the image to make the picture full size. Click on “Edit” in the tool bar at the top. Options will appear to “Enhance”, Rotate” “Crop (including minor rotation)”, “Filter”, “Adjust”, or “Retouch”. There is also an option to add “extensions” to Photos from aftermarket developers. I have found these editing options to cover most of want I want to do.

To post on fordbarn or HAMB start by exporting the photos to somewhere they can be accessed (I like to use my “desktop”). Photos cannot be accessed from from the Photos program directly. If they are too large exporting them at a lower resolution can reduce their size. Go to the command line and click “File” and then “Export”. The prompts will explain how to export the photos at full size or less than full size to someplace like the desktop. In order to post on fordbarn go to “Attach Files” and then click on “Manage Attachments”. Next go to the box that says “Upload File from your Computer” and click “Choose File”. Go to where the files are located and highlight and “choose” the picture to post. Click “Upload” and then “Close the Window”. The screen for adding text will now appear. When creating or editing a post click on “More Options”. When the photos are dragged onto the screen where HAMB is displayed a box will appear that says in the center “Drop photos here to upload”. Save changes and you are done. (THANK YOU Ryan, it couldn’t be easier).

One final thought. I run a program called “Time Machine” from Apple that backs up my computer every 3 hours. This is nice since it is also possible to recover from viruses or Ransomware using this backup go back in time to before the problem occurred. I am also considering on line backup as a third copy of everything (what, me paranoid?).

This post was intended to be a survival guide. Once comfortable, there are a lot of other features in Photos to explore.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    jnaki, quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. toml24

toml24

I come from the world of a PC and Photoshop CS5. If I'm at a car show and all I have is my cell phone, I take the photos then transfer them into the PC and Photoshop. The resolution is only 72 PPI and the physical size of each photo is massive, sometimes about 35 inches wide.. I adjust and edit each photo to 300 PPI and the size to 6 inch wide. This makes the file size reasonable and very easy to upload to the HAMB. I never store photos on my cell phone or my digital camera. All photos are downloaded to the PC. I was lucky I got Photoshop CS5 when I did. Adobe now charges a yearly fee for Photoshop. OUCH!!

loudbang likes this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an old guy - I chisel an image into a rock. Takes a lot of time, but the costs are nil and the image lasts for eons. Damn albums weigh a ton, though.....................................

Texas Webb, loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I used to use a digital point and shoot camera to take most of my pictures, but the past several years I've used my android phone. I keep recent pictures on my phone, but I also have project Fi for phone service, and have google photos set up to automatically upload pictures to the cloud. I also copy all the pictures from my phone to my Windows 7 desktop computer, and then occasionally back them up to an external hard drive. I have a few of these drives, and keep one at another location, rotating them about every six months.

Most of the editing I need to do such as resizing or cropping, I do with microsoft Paint. I have Office installed, so Paint works on .jpg files--the older versions of Paint don't do that normally. I think modern versions such as in Windows 10 do work with .jpg files. There are other photo editing programs that work, the important thing is to figure out how to use one to do what you need to do. Most digital image files these days are huge, and it's good to resize them to something around 1000 to 2000 pixels on a side, before uploading to places like the HAMB. Also you can crop off the excess stuff, so the interesting part of the image is all that's left. I do this with many images I post here.

I have over 100,000 digital images going back 20 years, arranged by date they were taken....a few of them are good photos, and many have useful information in them. Most of them bring back memories of what I did, when.

loudbang and jnaki like this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Charlie, this is perfect for me. Thanks so lot. But having taught English for eleven years your second paragraph is way too long! LoL

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello TM,

Ever try to carry 15 photo albums out of the door in an emergency? I told my son that is ridiculous to think every time we were with his daughter, (our grand daughter,) that in an emergency, we would have to save her first, then carry 15 photo albums out of their upstairs office and to safety? WHAT???

At the time he was a computer tech guy and suggested that WE scan our albums, photos, important docs and other stuff onto a separate external hard drive for an emergency. Well, that was 11 years ago in the large size external hard drive infancy. He told us to do that for our files, but had not done so for his own 15 photo albums. Practice what you preach... He kept telling us to grab the kid, albums and run to safety in that order.

Well, to make a long story shorter, we have two external 2 tb drives the size of a thin wallet. They have everything on them that we could think of and there is still plenty of room for more. Grabbing those two drives, the grand daughter, the wife, the dog and our two cars is all that we need. Everything else is expendable. Right now, everyone is thinking that guy is nuts…our stuff is valuable…nothing is more valuable than family, old photos and important files. Oh yea, the old 12 year old dog, too. We are out…to safety.

Jnaki

Aside: They still has not scanned the photos and there are now, 18 photo albums sitting on that upstairs office shelf, ready to burn or come crashing down in the next big quake or fire. No fire or massive damages for 50 years, but that is preparedness for you. It will come.

7. toml24

toml24

We must remember in about 10 years the CD, DVD, Flash Drive, and all current digital storage media will not exist. Something new will come along and unless the files are transferred they will be lost. On the other hand, a photo album will last for 100 years unless it's thrown out and ends up in a landfill.

loudbang likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

The old media will still exist. The players for them may or may not still work. Just make sure you copy your old files to the new medium, and keep backups.

My brother scanned many of the old family photo albums...I can look at the pictures, without having the albums in my possession, and I can save them in may places at once. Best of both worlds.

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  9. thanks Charlie for putting this out there....

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

I use my phone and a point and search and send everything to my computer. For editing I use the free program that came with windows 7 home pro called Photo gallery is has crop resize, color mods B&W option and a whole lot more and it was free. Save photos to USB thumb drive they have huge ones now for less than $10.00 but haven't filed the first one yet.

11. squirrel

squirrel

the USB thumb drive big enough to hold my pictures costs closer to $50....but yeah, the price has come way down.

loudbang likes this.